A quick analysis of some of our players for this season

Viewing 2 reply threads

UteDuke
      Ute Fan
      @uteduke

These are just some thoughts I have had about the performance of some of our players to this point in the season. I have chosen just a few players that have been on my mind. I appreciate others thoughts on whether they agree or disagree with my analysis.

Boobie Hobbs, #1: Holy heck, I have a mini heart attack about every time the other team is set to punt to us. I feel like Hobbs tries way too hard to make every return a home run play so he wastes valuable time and potential yards running laterally or trying to catch the ball in a tight window. We’ve drawn so many special teams fouls this season because his antics put the blockers in tough spots and result in holds or illegal blocks.

Justin Thomas, #12: Really haven’t heard much from Thomas this year. My expectation is that this is because he is consistently where he needs to be in coverage and thus doesn’t get thrown at much. I haven’t watched closely enough to say this for certain though.

Brian Allen, #14: The best of cornerbacks, the worst of cornerbacks. He has come up big for us this season with some huge picks, but he also is frequently burned deep and has some mental lapses such as the attempted strip and subsequent missed tackle against UCLA and the PI on the interception at OSU. He could certainly be our best cornerback, but I’m not sure I’d call him that yet.

Joe Williams, #28: Arguably the best story in college football this year. With the coaches having consistently raved about his speed I was hopeful for some big breakaway runs this year. When he retired I felt we never would get to see it. His outing against UCLA was the realization of that dream and was tremendously satisfying.

Pita T., #50: He is no Kylie Fitts, that much I can say. I feel that he has done a serviceable job at DE this year, but I don’t know that he has lived up to his billing from fall camp. Here is to hoping he can break through for these last few games!

Chase Hansen, #22: I would argue that Hansen has been one of the most (if not the most) consistent performers on this Utah team. He plays with the aggressiveness of a linebacker and the vision of a standout safety. His big hit on the Arizona wideout showed excellent discipline and precision.

I look forward to hearing your opinions and may add some more players later!

Anonymous
      Inactive

You can add Justin Thomas to most consistent players on defense he also has made great open field tackles as the nickel. 

I am not sure how Hobbs has kept his spot. He doesn’t have a quick first step, he doesn’t make quick decisions. I will say he is fearless and that might be part of it. I kind of want to see if Simpkins can do anything at that spot. Was Joe Williams listed as KR or PR to start Fall Camp?  I don’t want to see him get injured but I wonder if he could do any better?

Coverage and blocking has been bad on special teams this season. I think it is because of young guys are getting reps there. Without Wishnowsky I doubt we enjoy that field position flip every punt. 

popbirch
      Ute Fan
      @popbirch

The Brian Allen strip/missed tackle that resulted in a td was partly fogals fault. If Mwilliams was in that play would have been stopped.

Fogal is supposed to be over the top on that play but takes an atrocious angle to the catch and then runs full speed at the WR to make up for the bad angle and then makes a weak arm tackle attempt.

If Allen had just gone for the tackle it would have been fine but realistically fogal was equally responsible for that td.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Allen almost made the strip he was close. 

SalUteopia
          Ute Fan
          @saluteopia

I feel the same way about Hobbs. Why doesn’t Butler Byrd return all the punts?

Allen has looked dangerous, but he needs to be more consistent.

DropOutUte
        Ute Fan
        @dropoutute

Boobie posted something on Twitter recently that football wasn’t fun for him anymor but he had too much to lose to quit. Whatever that means….

Anonymous
          Inactive

All in or in the way?  Gets out of the way. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A quick analysis of some of our players for this season