Agree or disagree:

Viewing 7 reply threads

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

1.  Our reciever play was better this year than last.

2.  Our offensive line play was better this year than last.

3.  Our RB play has been consistently good.

4.  Our QB play has not improved or been coached up.

5.  Our offense has not improved as it needs to.

If you agree with 1 – 5 don’t you have to fire your offensive coordinator and qb coach at the end of this season?

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Last year we scored 9 vs UCLA, this year 52… What are you talking about?

Because they couldn’t execute against Cal, Troy had a bad game vs Washington still had a chance to win, and Oregon made a play with the game on the line? seriously settle down a bit people… These are College athlete’s they’re not Professionals.

QB’s have different styles, not a good comparison this year to last. You would have to compare Troy Williams to his short time with Washington vs now, I would say he has improved, but seems injured? hesitant to run at all.

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

Who is not calm?  Whittingham said, quite angrily I might add, after the Las Vegas Bowl that he needed to “fix the offense”.  I don’t think it has been fixed – if you do so be it but you will need more proof than one game…  We are in the bottom half of the PAC 12 South AGAIN for offense.

Whittingham made a change last year by firing the receivers coach (Stubblefield).  I’m suggesting the only one who did not improve is our OC and he should be fired.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

5 years in the Pac with 2 losing seasons what did you honestly expect Utah to be able to do recruiting wise?

1 1

Ute Bc
            Ute Fan
            @utebc

As for annual bitching – my “bitching” is just echoing what Whittingham said at the end of last year.  This is a discussion board if you find “discussions” irritating maybe you should go to yoga or something.

I also did not complain about recruiting.  I am complaining about our offense.  I think it has to do with coaching.  Troy Williams was a Sark recruit and highly praised out of high school.  I don’t think he got better as the year went on – I think that is coaching.  I don’t think Whittingham wants to be in the bottom half of the PAC 12 in offense.  If you don’t think we had the talent to be in the top half this year – I disagree.

Anonymous
              Inactive

Pretty good talent.  Very poor playcalling and adjustments. Some of the huge plays were just massive whiffs by the defenses Utah played. 

Anonymous
              Inactive

Hindsight on the season I still say this team over performed. It had a super easy schedule but it had injuries at key positions so 8 wins is a good season. 

Say Oregon blows it and doesn’t win that game. Do you feel confident about beating Colorado?

Anonymous
                Inactive

No on Colorado. In retrospect, the schedule was easy. Utah made it look hard. Coaching and play calling needs to improve.

1 1

noneyadb
              Ute Fan
              @noneyadb

Your bitching about the offense but failing to accept everything that has transgressed throughout the season. Reality son, You want the OC fired that put up 62 on Oregon last year, 52 on UCLA this year, and 31 against USC. GUESS HOW MANY TEAMS HAVE PUT UP MORE THAN 30 POINTS ON USC? 2- BAMA AND UTAH!!! GUESS HOW MANY TEAMS HAVE PUT UP MORE THAN 50 POINTS AGAINST UCLA? 1- UTAH!!! SERIOUSLY??

Ute Bc
                Ute Fan
                @utebc

Yes seriously. You need consistency not one game a year!  if you want an offense that performs well 15% of the year – Arod is your man. As you just posted out. 

Anonymous
                  Inactive

21 and 23 points against Oregon and Cal is indictment enough honestly. 

rbmw263
                    Ute Fan
                    @rbmw263

worst part is, is we gained very respectable-good yards per play against them. Points per play/yards per point efficiency was awful though. Awful.

noneyadb
                    Ute Fan
                    @noneyadb

A RB that follows his blockers to the right vs Cal, one or even two more run plays before that seam route vs Oregon, and a decent first half from Troy vs Washington and nobody is bitching about the OC’s. NOBODY.

pedro
              Ute Fan
              @pedro

Was I not “discussing” the very subject you brought up when I stated that the corresponding bitch fest is getting old.  He did the same exact thing about the offense.  I fail to see a diference from you expressing your opinion and me expressing mine.  But I will drop it now.  

One point of note, isn’t it interesting how we did fairly well against the best defenses in the conference yet struggled against two of the worst.

Anonymous
          Inactive

The way you phrase things is loaded with your intent to fit a narrative.

I would say the offense has got better than last year. The one stat TWill got worst in was completion percentage. 

I would say a unique situation existed in the RBs that was somehow fixed from a month off?  Injuries on top of injuries are outside of the coaches control.  

Oline was rough after Hiva went down, Dilman goes down in the Cal game and I can almost forgive the Cal performance.  I can’t forgive a million false starts AT home against Zona.  Also Pass pro has improved this season from last.

Wide receivers have improved but health has hurt them.  Wilson and Simpkins look promising. 

You don’t say anything about the playcalling.  This always has been the issue hasn’t it?  No one on staff can scheme a game without being very predictable. Maybe look into that instead of knocking the players.

pedro
      Ute Fan
      @pedro

1.  Yes it was.  

2.  Yes on running plays, no on passing plays.

3.  Yes

4.  Wrong.  QB play is better, but still need improvement.

5.  That question cannot be answered.  What does “needs to” mean.  That is different for everyone.  Some would like to see us put up 50 every game and anything less is a failure.  I am seeking constant improvement.  I believe, for the most part, we saw constant improvement.  

It would be wise for everyone to remember we are going up against the toughest defenses with the best athletes in the country.  We are playing in one of the top two conferences (if not the top).  Finally we are barely getting to where we have some depth to play with.  That will continue to improve.  

Do I wish we were better.  Hell yes.  But this annual bitching get’s old, real old.  Ironic that during the game the fans around me were complaining everytime we ran the ball and now everyone is complaining that we didn’t run it enough.  

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

@pedro Couldn’t agree more on that last point. Yesterday I was in a car with a coworker (Utah fan), and during our 15 minute drive, he blamed the loss on “running the ball too much on first down”, and minutes later “going away from the run.”

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

I think your friend might be right. In the first half we ran on almost every first down, Oregon loaded the box every first down, a couple of playaction passes might have loosened them up so the runs could have been more effective.

In the second half, we seemed to almost give up running, the we didn’t try to take advantage of Oregon playing pass defense by gashing them with the run. We were too predictable.

Anonymous
      Inactive

1. Yes
      2. Yes
      3. Yes
      4. Improved slightly, though efficiency and playmaking suck.
      5. No. When you punt 4x in the second half against one of the worst defenses in FBS, you suck on offense.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

I think Whitt hit the nail on the head today at his news conference. We simply aren’t good enough in the Red Zone, on either side of the ball. This extends to those situations where we need to pick up a short yardage first down or make a stop to get off the field. Fix those and we’re undefeated.

MotherJabubu
      Ute Fan
      @motherjabubu

1. Our reciever play was better this year than last.

Agree

2. Our offensive line play was better this year than last.

Agree

3. Our RB play has been consistently good.

Agree

4. Our QB play has not improved or been coached up.

Disagree

5. Our offense has not improved as it needs to.

‘As it needs to’ is a bit suspect. The offense looked better this year but it’s still not good enough

If you agree with 1 – 5 don’t you have to fire your offensive coordinator and qb coach at the end of this season?

I don’t even know anymore. We keep cycling through guys and haven’t found the one yet. I have no idea what we should do at this point.

What we really need to do is improve our recruiting. No more 3 stars. We need to move up the ladder.

TexanUte
      Ute Fan
      @texanute

In reading through the reasons we don’t get it done there seems to be a bit of Uncle Rico syndrome: “If coach would have put me in we would have won state”. In the Utes case it’s running back didn’t follow blockers, Oregon made a play, if only we had more 4 star recruits etc. Whatever the case is we seem incapable of winning our division. As the great Bill Parcels used to say “You are what you are”. In our case we were a top echelon mid major which has transitioned into a mediocre to a little above average Power 5 team.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Agree or disagree: