Another Obama era regulation that thankfully is gone soon

Viewing 13 reply threads
      2 20

Anonymous
      Inactive

http://fox13now.com/2017/02/07/what-the-end-of-net-neutrality-means-for-netflix-users-everywhere-tmwsp/

Net neutrality was ridiculous and I am glad we don’t have to deal with it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

why is it ridiculous? how will rolling it back help consumers?

so after reading that I still don’t see how it helps consumers, what am I missing? Discontinuing the Lifeline program will cut off phone service for low income people, I know this because I work with many of them and 750 a month doesn’t go far when you are paying rent, groceries, utilities etc.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Yeah, he doesn’t understand net neutrality at all.

Without net neutrality, what will happen is Comcast will have the power to block Amazon and Netflix and Hulu, forcing you to only use Comcast’s streaming platform and visa versa.

The whole reason we have net neutrality is because Comcast was throtteling competitor’s websites. Like ESPN? Without Net Neutrality, Comcast can force you to only go to NBC Sports and MSNBC for your news.

This is nothing more than Trump lining his and his donor’s pockets.

Here is a quote from your article:

Without net neutrality, an ISP like Optimum, Verizon, or Comcast could potentially slow down or block access to services like Netflix or Hulu, as many ISPs run competitive streaming services to which they hope to draw consumers. Comcast, for example, has its Xfinity TV app.

By slowing down stream speeds for services like Netflix, ISPs can give themselves key advantages. First, frustrated users are likely to flock to their streaming products, and secondly, Netflix — unwilling to lose any of its 93 million subscribers — will be forced to pay the ISP for access to faster speeds.

Come on you guys. Use facts, not rhetoric here.

Anonymous
          Inactive

I’m in agreement with you.  I fail to see how this benefits consumers.  Oh well as long as it’s dismantling something Obama did it must be good for everyone.  I’m sure that our republican overlords have our best interests in mind when they make these kinds of decisions. 

96GradAlum
      @96gradalum

Did you even read the article?   You do realize it’s great for big business but it’s only going to hurt consumers b/c you’ll have to pay more for streaming services. 

Or are you just an Obama hater with no real understanding of what it is you’re hating on?

Anonymous
        Inactive

I’m going with A. he didn’t read it and B. he is just an Obama Hater

Anonymous
          Inactive

Well you are just a judgmental…blah blah prude label this and label that. FCC needs to be gone entirely is my viewpoint but I won’t even go there.

Anonymous
            Inactive

just calling it the way I see it. Go read your post again and tell us all why we are so off base

Anonymous
              Inactive

Like I said abolish the FCC and leave all regulation to Congress.

UtahFanSir
                Ute Fan
                @utahfansir

So that,

1) Nothing gets done, and

2) What is done, goes to the highest bidder.

I want real competition. I don’t want “utilities” restricting competition, so that they can restrict service and charge onerous rates to do so.

I thought Republicoins were in favor of free markets. But I get it, its free markets where they collect the coins.

Ute Bc
                  Ute Fan
                  @utebc

Of course!  And lets not pretend that the other side of the aisle isn’t the same!

UtahFanSir
                    Ute Fan
                    @utahfansir

That is why they are Demoncrats.

Anonymous
                    Inactive

Both sides screw us over, it’s become a matter of choosing the lesser of two evils. 

Anonymous
                      Inactive

You still get evil.

ironman1315
                  Ute Fan
                  @ironman1315

The regulatory rulemaking procedures are also ruled, probably more so than in Congress, by the lobbyists.

Anonymous
                    Inactive

Yep just like the FTC when it came to the housing crisis.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

This issue should be taken up by Ckngress. It wo t be but it should be. I think the Obama EO was probably a bit of a reach in his part but still within his power to do.

1 9

Anonymous
        Inactive

Exactly this will lead to better legislation that will allow the internet to grow. Net neutrality did nothing to stop corporations from doing what they wanted.

deleted
          Ute Fan
          @rolandovich

Yes, do exactly what the ISP’s want. Then they’ll make their product better for you. It worked with child labor and food regulation, right?

Puget Ute
            Ute Fan
            @pugetute

Just wait until we are paying top dollar for 150 MBPS speed from Comcrap, only to have Netflix/Hulu/Amazon/SlingTV/DirectvNow constantly buffer.

Anonymous
      Inactive

whats stopping the internet from growing now? Seems that Net Neutrality creates a level playing field for everyone. That would explain why the big players hate it because then the Big Four don’t have a monopoly.

Anonymous
      Inactive

yeah? why? Congress has demonstrated time and again they are beholden to special interest groups. What makes you think Chaffetz, Stewart, Bishop and Love would act in your best interests?

Maybe you should go look at how much special interests contribute to candidates. A while back I linked a story that showed 92% of donations for those four came from OUT of state.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Because I believe that Congress is the proper body to make laws like this. But I guess separation of powers is only good when your opponent is doing something you don’t like. But dammit if my guy does what I want to hell with separation of powers I want rule by fiat.

Anonymous
          Inactive

my reply wasn’t supposed to be to you, it was supposed to be to Beehive. Yes Congress is the proper body to make laws but we still need regulatory agencies like the FCC et al to enforce said laws do we not?

The regulatory agencies need some leeway to act in the best interest of all parties involved and they need to ability to move faster than congress due to ever changing technology.
          Drones are a perfect example by the time congress gets around to regulating them it will be too late. The FAA needs to be able to enact rules for public safety.
          I suspect most drone fliers like Tony play by the rules. But look at how many times some of these guys were flying drones near firefighting efforts?
          And of course there’s always the trophy hunter that uses one to locate his trophy even though that’s illegal here in Utah. I guarantee you it happens.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Obama was bought and paid for by Comcast and Time Warner.

Anonymous
          Inactive

link? since he implemented net neutrality with an EO why would they buy him?

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

Yay for unchecked capitalism!! I don’t know about ya’ll, but I love living in a country where giant companies get to make consumer preference choices for me.

I don’t know how an average person not affiliated with ISP giants like Comcast would be in favor of rolling back Net Neutrality laws.  This is a perfect example of the cognitive dissonance problem that exists in this country.  

SMFH.

Riot West
      Ute Fan
      @riotwest

PDXUteFan
      Ute Fan
      @pdxutefan

Anonymous
        Inactive

SkinyUte
      Ute Fan
      @skinyute

The fact that anyone who actually uses the internet would be AGAINST net neutrality is utterly baffling to me.

The only thing getting rid of it will do will be to allow the ISP’s to charge you more. Use Netflix? Get ready to pay more. Play WoW? Get ready to pay more. Stream Hulu? Pac-12 Network? ESPN? Get ready to pay more.

I guess putting even more money in the pockets of the ISP’s is just another cost of “STIGGINIT!!”. Welcome to your new internet! (older image, but you get the idea)

Edit: ugh, I can’t for the life of me get an image to post from my phone. Will try again when my power comes back on.

Anonymous
        Inactive

http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/technology/315089-fcc-democrats-get-a-zero-for-enforcing-net-neutrality

Net neutrality lost its consumer-protection purpose when it became the FCC’s rationale for reclassifying broadband as a Title II telephone utility.

Net neutrality ceased being about consumers when Tim Wu, who coined the term “net neutrality” as a non-discrimination principle, reimagined it to justify Title II utility regulation of broadband to facilitate the subsidization of edge providers and innovation, in his white paper entitled: “Subsidizing Creativity through Network Design: Zero-Pricing and Net Neutrality.”

This rethinking transformed net neutrality from being about consumer choice, control, and benefit, to being more about subsidizing the bandwidth costs of corporate interests like Google, Facebook, Amazon and Netflix.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Since when are Google, Facebook, Amazon and Netflix edge providers?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Early candidate for worst Utehub post of 2017

utahman3431
      Ute Fan
      @utahman3431

This is the best description I have seen about net neutrality.  It is a little old (made last year), but I think it still holds true today 🙂

Mild Language, but nothing you don’t hear on tv anyways 😉

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Wow. Really? Net Neutrality is exceedingly important and should be protected. I didn’t even think that people were still opposed to it.

mokus
      Ute Fan
      @mokus

Anyone against net neutrality either doesn’t understand it, or understands how they can screw consumers to profit from it going away.

Viewing 13 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics Another Obama era regulation that thankfully is gone soon