Cal Experience

Viewing 2 reply threads

joefan
      Ute Fan
      @joefan

I’m heading off to San Francisco tonight for the Cal game. Has anyone been to a game at Cal, and how was your experience?

GO UTES!!

UGLI baby
      Ute Fan
      @uglibaby

I’ll be there too. First Utes game in Berkely since 2000, and only the Utes 5th game there ever dating back to the 1920’s.

I’m expecting a wine & cheese crowd pretty similar to Stanford, with maybe a little more from the student section than Stanford.

I’m interested if anyone has any idea if they have any worthwhile tailgating scene, or if there are good restaurants walking distance from the stadium (not interested in the U of U hosted tailgate thingy)

joefan
        Ute Fan
        @joefan

I got fourth row tickets on StubHub for $25, so I’m not expecting a sell out in Berkley.

UGLI baby
          Ute Fan
          @uglibaby

Wow! What section?

joefan
            Ute Fan
            @joefan

End zone

UtahUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @utahuteguy

I was at the game vs. Cal in 2000.  At that time I was a grad student at Berkeley, but of course I rooted for the U and sat in the visitors section.  Our turnout for the game was nothing like what you see at road games today, maybe only a fifth as large?  Anyway, Utah lost a close game to a decent PAC-10 team.  It was a lot of fun.

you should really take the time to tour Berkeley, it’s a fun town.  Walk around the campus, it’s really pretty.  You’ll also want to walk up and down Telegraph Avenue.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to walk along University Avenue a bit as well.  There are a lot of restaurants and shops, and the city is quite diverse.  For a cool shopping area, go check out 4th Street.  If you have an extra day in the Bay Area, go tour San Francisco.  You’ll have a lot of fun.

Cheer us on to a victory!

SteelUte
        Ute Fan
        @steelute

Thanks for the post.  How’s the parking? We were thinking of taking the BART in , good idea bad idea?

UtahUteGuy
          Ute Fan
          @utahuteguy

My experience has been that parking in Berkeley is terrible, to say the least.  If you have access to it, take the BART in.  You’ll have a decent-length walk up to the stadium (the campus itself is not far from the station) but you should do the campus walk anyway.  Beware though, the stadium is uphill from the downtown area in Berkeley.  Not an overly steep uphill, but uphill nonetheless.

By the way, on Center Street along the way from the Downtown Berkeley BART station to campus, there is a very cheap burger/middle eastern restauarnt called Bongo Burger that my wife and I regularly enjoyed.  The prices there are reasonable for budget traveling.  Just a thought.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Cal Experience