Cox is transferring.

Viewing 13 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

Bummed to see him go, but I’m sure with Huntley being given the #2 spot he would rather go somewhere he can get some time on the field.

Wish the best for the kid.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

I think that leaves us a little thin at QB.

bigredoso
        Ute Fan
        @bigredoso

Agreed. Maybe Hansen will be #3 after all.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Link?

EDIT: Nevermind, DesNews has something published now

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by leftyjace.

Da Vinci Ute
      Ute Fan
      @davinciute

Utah has to start staggering their QB recruits better. I remember when we had a glut of QB’s only to see them disappear one by one.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

We have Jason Shelley coming in next year so it’s starting to work out.

Da Vinci Ute
      Ute Fan
      @davinciute

Looks good moving forward so far. Maybe pull Thompson out of safety spot?

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

The only other QB on the roster is Logan Bateman, walk on, returned missionary. Other than this bio and I vaguely remember his name being mentioned some time in the past, this is all I think anyone knows of him.

I have no clue if he’s a better option than pulling a starter like Chase or a #2 deep guy Jason Thompson.

If we burn through our #1 and #2 QB, we’re screwed anyway, so there’s that.

CincyUte
          Ute Fan
          @cincyute

I don’t know a single thing about this Logan Bateman (except–judging from his name–he’s clearly from Utah).  But hell–if the unthinkable happens and we need to resort to our third-option at QB, I say we play him.  After all, he’s a QB on a P5 roster, right?  Give him a shot.  See what he can do.  Isn’t that one of the things that makes sports so great?

Besides–as was already mentioned–if the situation arises, then we’re probably screwed no matter what.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by CincyUte.

CincyUte
            Ute Fan
            @cincyute

Upon further review, it appears he’s not from Utah.  Play him anyway.

Onlyu
          Ute Fan
          @uf8fl

Drew Lisk – All State QB from Jordan has been in camp the entire time.  Good Athlete and proved in high school he could throw it.  Not a college dual threat guy though.  Adding the Bateman kid helps but they’re scout team type guys right now.  With Shelley coming in next year and with Williams/Huntley presumed back we get into the Senior/Sophomore rotation that is usually ideal.  Each guy starts for two years as his understudy learns for two years.  I’d imagine they’ll recruit another guy for insurance but I know they’re high on on Shelley after Huntley for the future.  I also know that Huntley easily outperformed Cox in camp and “it wasn’t close.”  Cox is an outstanding kid and a great representative of the U, just unfortunately not a PAC12 caliber QB.  Good luck to him.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I feel like I predicted this in the thread about Huntley becoming #2 on the depth chart. This leaves us extremely thin at QB and we risk injuring Huntley (kid only weighs 178 pounds) if Williams goes down.

I don’t like this one bit.

cbmute
        Ute Fan
        @cbmute

I wish Cox the best of luck and don’t blame him one bit for leaving.

This certainly leaves Utah thin at QB.  Most schools are in real trouble if the first QB goes down. If the first and second QB go down there might be a handful of schools that would be okay.  I don’t know that Utah is in that unusual of a situation.

KiYi-Ute
          Ute Fan
          @kiyi-ute

I don’t blame him for leaving at all. And I don’t disagree that most other teams would be in serious trouble if the #1 QB goes down. My biggest concern is for the longevity of Huntley’s career if he does have to start and gets hurt. I fear that the likelihood of a career ending injury to him would be greater because he’s simply not big enough to play against P5 defenses. Josh Rosen (UCLA) was a true freshman last year, but he was 200+ lbs. Huntley, by comparison, is listed at 178 lbs.

Anonymous
            Inactive

Huntley looks like he is 178 if he had a running weight vest on after eating all day at Rodizio.

I like Cox and his running ability but he does float passes. I simply can’t stand to see another QB who can’t throw the ball.

Uteified
      Ute Fan
      @uteified

Silver lining: looks like he is leaving on good terms.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/4257554-155/utah-football-junior-quarterback-brandon-cox

Can’t blame the kid for wanting to play.

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

I wish him the best and thank him for all the hard work and time he put into the program. Hopefully he’ll have a great time playing elsewhere.

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

Thanks for being a Ute, Brandon.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I was wrong wrong wrong.  I don’t agree with naming Huntley two either.  You keep Cox at two to save face but if you have to play the best option play Huntley.  Chase Hansen might need to play.

KiYi-Ute
        Ute Fan
        @kiyi-ute

Agreed.

bigredoso
        Ute Fan
        @bigredoso

I respect that the coaches were transparent with him. Shows class of the staff to be honest and not pull a quick one on him

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

Really sad to see Brandon leave, but I wish him all the best wherever he ends up.

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Logan Bateman was an RM last year and around the program.  Redshirted…not much help outside of scout team stuff potentially.  Drew Lisk – (Jordan HS – 5A All State last year) is a preferred walk-on and is QB #3B (after Chase Hansen who would be 3A at this point).  Lisk is not a dual threat guy but can throw it.  Bateman behind them all.

FormerUteSax
      Ute Fan
      @formerutesax

M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Cox is transferring.