For the first time in my life I honestly feel like leaving Utah.

Viewing 10 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

OldSchoolUTE
      Ute Fan
      @oldschoolu

Quite honestly, people that I have known for years and that I’ve had a lot of respect for have shocked me over the last couple of days. Assbackwards is an apt description.

Jumpmasterute
      Ute Fan
      @jumpmasterute

Don’t do it! I’ve lived away from Utah since 1986 and would give my left nut to move back. I’m moving 3 miles away from where I live now just cause my new neighborhood reminds me of Yale and Harvard avenues in SLC. You think Utah is Assbackwards try living in TN.

jrj84105
        Ute Fan
        @jrj84105

As a former Memphian and current resident of Phoenix, try living somewhere else and Utah’s particular version of f**kuppery isn’t bad at all.

EUte
        Ute Fan
        @eute

I would 1000x sooner live in Utah than somewhere like TN or AL. If you want the west without all the bulls**t (or harsh weather) of Utah or the douchery of California, Pacific NW is the place to be. I grew up in Utah and have lived all over the world. Hard to see myself ever leaving WA state now.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I dream of leaving here to get away from certain “things” that bug me, like paying 3X as much as a bottle of wine should cost and not being able to get it at the grocery store on like most states…

The physical place though is unmatched. Not many places I’d rather live. Perhaps San Diego is one, but Ute Hub will need to start turning a profit first before I can think about that.

oc_ute
      Ute Fan
      @ocute

have lived in OC for 8 years and regretted leaving SLC. OC is a beautiful place but nothing beats SLC area IMO. i’ve been trying to get back (job) for the past 3 years…. no luck. wish i’d never left. FWIW the only thing cheap here is booze and it’s bout 1/2 price to utah if not more.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

So interesting to read the reactions here. Thank you so much for your perspective, those of you that have moved away. It’s nice to hear.

I think things will get better. The more influx we have of Californians, the more liberal the state will become – hopefully balancing out the ultra-conservative, right-wing periphery of the state. Heaven knows the imbalance in the legislature needs to be corrected.

Can’t get any worse.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Hey we now have a non-mormon, lesbian mayor. It’s a start.

UTE98
          Ute Fan
          @ute98

I grew up in Idaho, went to school in Utah, then moved to Virginia, and am now in Colorado.

Idaho is awesome in the summer, rivals Utah for outdoor activities and it stays light until 10 p.m. due to being north and close to the time zone.

Virginia is great for Colonial, Revolutionary, and Civil War sites. I was within 10 minutes of George Washington’s boyhood home, about 60 miles from his birthplace, within an hour and a half of James Madison’s estate and Monticello. I was also right in the middle of four Civil War battlefields, meaning like 20 minutes was the farthest away. But I didn’t like the heat and humidity, and couldn’t stand the traffic.

Wintertime in SLC and Boise is very gloomy, I don’t like inversion ANY time. Now Denver has smog downtown, but since it isn’t in a valley like SLC and Boise we don’t get full on inversion. It snowed today and the sun came out just enough, not really visible that it melted all the snow off my driveway. The smog is gone, the only advantage of SLC is you are so close to skiing, most ski resorts are a couple hours away.

I’d have to say if I could get my UTES here in Colorado this would be my favorite place I’ve lived.

If things are absolutely perfect and I can keep my same job and move to SLC in exactly five years and not take a pay cut I’ll do it. However this is a pie in the sky hope as my organization would have to expand at exactly the right time to be in between kids going into middle school and high school. My son is five years younger than my daughter. So my 6th grader would have to graduate, my son be ready to go into 7th grad and my oldest two off at UVU and Utah (their plans). Otherwise I’ll probably retire west of Boise to be close to my parents/siblings and only 6 hours from my in-laws in Oregon. But that is about 14 years away.

Denver, my favorite place to be. Just wish it were closer to the Utes. Well I mean Utah Utes, there are Utes in Colorado.

Anonymous
        Inactive

@leftjace, you’re mistaken if you think those leaving California would be liberals. The liberals have taken over California, so it’s the conservatives who are leaving and taking their wealth with them. They’re tired of the high taxes imposed to pay for all the free crap the liberals want. I know that’s why I’ll be leaving. However, I’ll be moving to Montana, which is prettier, has fewer people, minimal LDS influence, and better fishing. Other option might be Wyoming for no income tax, while retaining my warmer weather homes in CA.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Yeah the inversion is one thing that gets the wife and I wishing to move every year.

ŌldUte53
      Ute Fan
      @oldute53

“I’m going to make your son date my foul-mouthed, abusive daughter. I’m going to tell my bishop that you have known each other since you were kids so there is no reason for you to stay away and he’ll make them go out. You’re just afraid that they’ll want to get married and his life will be a living hell. He’s probably afraid he’ll get punched in the groin like that other kid, or sucker punched again like she is always doing – but we’ve already thought about talking to her about that, but it was just in the heat of the moment so we don’t want her to feel bad.”

“Besides, she doesn’t even want to date him because she has lots of other rich guys who are dying to take her out. But they can’t because their prejudiced parents think she is too pure and her racist attitudes and lack of education are drawbacks. It’s just that she expected to go out, and how is she supposed to get another date 10 months from now?”

“You Yewts are all slime!!”

-TH

Utesbyfive
      Ute Fan
      @utesbyfive

For those of us who lean conservative, the politics are generally favorable. I’m non-mormon though, and while the liquor laws annoy me, they don’t stop me from getting my drink on.

Anonymous
      Inactive

My brother and sister went to the U on athletic scholarships, swimming and tennis respectively. The single biggest issue/concern for them was being Catholic in the Mormon dominated society. You’re either LDS or you’re not. In the Club or not. It’s a shame as a more inclusive approach would be better. They survived. Heck, my sister dated Scott Mitchell until he started to pressure her into converting to LDS, then it was game over.

Their experience with the LDS influence at the U left lasting impressions on them and it was not positive. Their experience with BYU Zoobs and the U also left lasting impressions and they also are not positive. If I ever want a good laugh, I get my brother drunk on fine wine and get him going about BYU and Zoobs. He was there during the Lavell Edwards era and I’d have to say that the Xoob experience traumatized him. I try to get him drunk every so often so he can let it out in a cathartic sorta way.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

He was there during the Lavell Edwards era and I’d have to say that the Xoob experience traumatized him.

I’m pretty much damaged goods, growing up in that era. I sat in the student section in the snow with my best friend and NOBODY ELSE there, watching the Utes get killed by the zoo. No time left and up by a million, the zoo assholes would be running bombs to try and run the score up even more. I’ll never forget that, and how unsportsmanlike those f**ks were.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) For the first time in my life I honestly feel like leaving Utah.