Got my Pac-12 Network on SlingTV now

Viewing 7 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The lovely wife got the Roku/Sling setup rocking with Pac 12 network today. I didn’t realize what you really get. Lots more channels than just one Pac-12. Looking forward to having that and knowing I’m done with DTV and crapcast…FOREVER.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

Have you been a Sling customer for long?  I’ve been interested for a while but that Pac-12 deal probably sealed it for me.  How do you like it?  I’ve received mixed feedback from people I know who have it.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

I was a subscriber last football season. Got channels like FX1, Fox, ESPN and a bunch of others. My 3 year old loves it too. Since I have no cable or dish, the P12 deal sealed it for me. Resubscribed (I unscubscribe when it’s not football season). Love it.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

My biggest worry is that internet providers are starting to limit the amount of data you use every month.

What will happen is internet will go the way of cell phones…you have to pay to get enough internet to actually stream what you want to stream…or you sign up for comcast and get unlimited…

Bastards.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Or google fiber….and I hope I get it soon.

RedRocks
          Ute Fan
          @hypodactylus

I wish Google would make their Fiber expansion plans known in Salt Lake:  I would love to have it, but I don’t know if it will ever make it to my home (near 3900 S and Highland).  I can’t even get Comcast because my home was skipped for some reason.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Im on an unlimited provider which is many times faster and more dependable than crapcast.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Which plan did you get? I know the PAC-12 channels come with true Sports Pack, but did you go with the Orange or Blue base plan (or the combined)?

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

The thing that sucks about Sling is that it’s not available on the older versions of AppleTV, and they don’t allow streaming from the app on an iPad. LAME. That’s the ONE area of my ecosystem where I’m apple. Maybe it’s time to get a Roku or something.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

I know it is available on my Amazon FireTV Stick, however it may not be in all it’s HD glory. However, my AppleTV is often buffering ESPN or PAC12 mirrored from my iPad.

I take my FireTV Stick on trips because it streams at a lower rate, and thus lower quality, but I’ve never had a problem with buffering and can barely see the difference. And I never get the digitized reduced quality I get when stream HD on other devices.

cbmute
      Ute Fan
      @cbmute

I’ve been thinking about getting Sling TV as well.  I have a few questions. What is the value of the Roku Box? Should I get one if I can stream the internet through a DVD player? Is the Roku 3 much better than the Roku Streaming Stick? If so what makes it better?

I pretty clueless about this kind of stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

I can’t speak about the Roku, as I’ve not had one, but I will say my AppleTV and Amazon FireTV Stick have been much better at streaming Netflix and Hulu than my BluRay player, though it did work it just seemed to be really choppy and often my stream would die. I’m sure today’s BluRay/DVD players are much better, however I’d still go with Roku/AppleTV/Amazon Fire or one of the sticks, Chromecast, FireTV Stick. They seem to stream better in my experience.

If you have a ton of iTunes content on a computer, AppleTV is great for putting it on your TV. If you travel a lot the sticks are great for throwing in a suitcase and since they get a lower stream are good in hotels.

Here’s a decent article, also if you have a game system you could use that as well, though I still have a Playstation2 and Wii, so don’t stream much from those. My kids will sometimes watch Netflix on the Wii, but it’s standard definition since my old old TV it is hooked to doesn’t have HDMI, only component and the Wii is RCA.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-tv-streaming-devices/

or

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2421457,00.asp

Oh, and of course something else to consider is if you have Amazon Prime. I do and watch quite a bit of Amazon Prime video. In today’s world there are so many options for entertainment. I have even watch movies on Popcorn Movies (I think that is what it is called, it’s free but has commercials during the movie, also not true HD all the time, I think some of the older movies aren’t in HD thus why I can’t stream the HD.)

It really depends on what you’ve got and how you want to integrate the new device into your media use.

Oh, and of course there is the 4K issue, I don’t have any 4K TVs, You ask, “What with that PS2 and Wii?” I know right.

CincyUte
          Ute Fan
          @cincyute

Man, I’ve been using my BluRay player for years like a chump.

Can I watch MLB.tv through the AppleTV, Amazon FireTV or SlingTV? That’s really all I care about. I can improvise on everything else.

cbmute
          Ute Fan
          @cbmute

Thanks you!

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I think my Roku is the nice one and it was about $50-60. When we got it they had a deal where if you prepaid for 3 months of Sling they just gave us the Roku. No brainer. I have the blue package plus pac-12. You can see the channels at the bottom of the page at http://www.sling.com

From the looks of the blue though, I may not have espn. I might have to upgrade to the orange and blue. Orange has espn but not FS1 and some channels that have UFC (for the wife).

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Tony, try using your Sling login on the WatchESPN app. As I understand it, you should be able to access WatchESPN because you have the Sports pack.

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Pac-12 Got my Pac-12 Network on SlingTV now