Great article about Scalley

Viewing 6 reply threads

Uteified
      Ute Fan
      @uteified

The article explains how his scrappy personality, which led to his success as a player, is now leading to his success as a coach.

“He wants all of his defensive players to be the smartest players on the field,” cornerbacks coach Sharrieff Shah said. “Scalley says it all the time: ‘I didn’t run 4.3, I wasn’t the biggest, but I put myself in position to make plays by being smart.'”

Scalley’s smarts have been a tool for the coaching staff since he joined 10 years ago. Always a film rat, he built credibility as a coach for studying tendencies.

Against UCLA in 2011, Scalley suggested the staff install a safety blitz that would require leaving a tight end uncovered. Not all the coaches were on board, Hill said, but the play was called in the game, resulting in a sack by Eric Rowe.

In another game against Oregon State, the Utes faced third and short. Scalley had noted one of the Beavers tendencies, shallow crossing routes, and determined that a Cover 2 would stop them in that situation. Right before the snap, Whittingham asked then-defensive coordinator Kalani Sitake why they were running the scheme.

“Kalani said, ‘Hey, it’s OK, Morgan scouted it out,'” Hill said. “So they ran the play, they didn’t get [a first down]. Those were some of the moments early in Morgan’s career when Kyle really started to trust him.”

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4261248-155/utah-football-morgan-scalleys-influence-on

My guess is that he is the next head coach of the Utes.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Uteified.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Pease and him had one of the greatest defenses last season. With the Dline he has this year I only see it being much better.

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

I love all the great articles coming out by the Trib about the players and coaches and I love cheering for this team. So much hard work and dedication goes into our entertainment by these men. I definitely hope that Scalley is on the short list for the (hopefully) distant future when Whit decides to hang em up.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Whitt will be here as long as he wants. When he leaves, we have some really good options for HC in Andersen, Scalley, Hill, Sitake.

Whitt’s coaching tree is pretty incredible.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

I can see Whitt hanging it up after 2020 (age 62? ). I don’t know whether Morgan will be ready to be HC by that time.

But I like Morgan a lot. I am happy he turned down the job to be HC at byu.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

We will have a good pick of former coaches/players for the head coaching job whenever Kyle decides he is done. However, with Utah being in the Pac-12 & assuming we stay competitive we could have our choice of some other really good coaches.

Who knows, maybe the next Urban Meyer will be coming up through the ranks of the G5 by then.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

This article done last spring is another outstanding feature. More detail, even down to the blitz against UCLA.

He remembers the thrill he experienced the first time he picked up something on film as a coach that paid off in a game. Before a game against UCLA, he noticed that every time the Bruins’ tight end lined up in the backfield he tipped off the play. If his inside foot was outside the offensive tackle, he remained on that side of the formation to block; if his inside foot was inside the tackle, he would cross to the other side of the formation.

“So we decided, why not blitz the safety if we know he’s going away to the opposite side?” says Scalley. “We went with it and got a big sack off of it. It was the first time that Kyle said, ‘OK, let’s go with something Morgan is seeing.’ It was a nice feeling. I had studied film and it had paid off. You get hungry for more.”

Doug Robinson: Paying dues paid off for the Utes’ Morgan Scalley

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Great article about Scalley