Harding Defenders

Viewing 7 reply threads
      5 1

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

To those who are defending Harding and think he should be the OC, please explain yourselves.

It seems the argument you folks favor is that the run game was great so obviously he did a bang up job, but how much of the success in the run game was due to Harding and how much was due to Joe Williams simply being great?

I would say about 90% of our run succes was simply due to Williams being amazing. If Moss or Shyne or McCormick had to carry the load for the year, our rushing success would have likely been half of what it was with Williams. And if we only get half of that production, we don’t even go bowling this year.

I don’t think Harding has done enough to warrant being given the OC job. 

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Those of you who think bringing in a new OC will fix things, explain yourselves. 

Harding was the OC of the best offense we’ve had, and we’ve had a lot of OC’s. 

We’ve had 9, yes NINE. And Harding was the OC of our best offense. 

So, instead of blowing things up again to have a substandard result (again), let’s help Harding be even more successful. 

Lets get him a real QB coach, a top flight recruiter and help coaching the OL. 

And if we don’t take another step forward next year…well, just fire him. 

Also, what happens when you demote him for your new OC? He stays for a year then quits? Does he even stay a year?

Not a very smart move for your best OC in ten years, your best recruiter and the best OL coach since the MWC. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

To Utah:

We have had 8 OCs: 1. Ludwig, 2. Schramm(w/A-Rod), 3. Roderick, 4. Chow, 5. BJ, 6. Erickson, 7. Christensen, 8. Harding(w/A-Rod) And we later learned that Erickson wasn’t actually an OC, rather he was a mentor to BJ. So we have really only had 7 OCs under Whit.

This year’s offense was the best we have had since joining the Pac-12 in terms of total yards and ppg, but it was not the best we have had since Whit took over if for no other reason than that it was one of the worst Redzone offenses we have ever had.

hnoseguard
      Ute Fan
      @hnoseguard

I’m mixed.  Obviously Joe Williams post retirement was a stud and bailed us out.  But during retirement, Shyne was damn near a guarantee for 5 yards every play.  Moss had moments of brilliance too. I would argue that even a mediocre athlete playing running back, being coached by Dennis Erickson and running behind our o-line should produce results.

Asiata and Bolles both graded extremely high for run blocking, so you have to credit Harding for that as their position coach.  Our pass blocking though was mediocre at best. I’m wondering if we’re trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

I guess what I’m saying is, I wouldn’t mind Harding staying as OC, but I’d like to see a pro set, power run game if he does.  Let’s stick to what we do best and design our offense around that.

Duhwayne
        Ute Fan
        @duhwayne

Shyne is a great fit for us. Now let’s get ourselves another Shawn Asiata as a blocking fullback and start crushing defenses.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Joe Williams was great because of guys like Asiata, Bolles. The big uglies up front, also it really feels like Joe Williams did better in certain blocking schemes. When they start to pull the lineman Joe did really well. 

I have zero data to back this up just what I have observed. 

1 1

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I don’t wanna bring in a new OC just for the hell of it. I want to bring in a good OC.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

To those who are defending Harding and think he should be the OC, please explain yourselves.

I don’t think Harding has done enough to warrant being given the OC job. 

I’m not defending the choice that Harding will be OC. I’m simply assuming, based on past experience, that Kyle will stay in his comfort zone and go with someone who is already in his circle of trust, regardless of if that person is right for the job.

Harding was Co-OC, hence, him still being on staff after the other OC was let go leads me to believe Harding is the guy now.

Should Kyle make a better OC choice? Yes.

Will he? I doubt it.

Utemachine
      Ute Fan
      @utemachine

My preference of bringing in someone new assumes Kyle has reached beyond his iphone favorites and realized he needs to get out of the way. If he does neither then it doesn’t matter and why put a guy out of a job.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

If Kyle stays in his comfort zone 8-9 wins and no South or Pac-12 championship is the best we will do.

Utemachine
        Ute Fan
        @utemachine

Agreed and isn’t keeping Harding the epicenter of his comfort zone?

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Harding Defenders