Here come the spam bots – Report Spammers Please

Viewing 6 reply threads

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Had to turn registration off temporariliy until I can install some countermeasures. Overnight about 400 spambots signed up. Please report spammers so I can delete/ban them.

UtahUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @utahuteguy

Yeah, when I woke up this morning I saw that there were over 800 members. I was thinking, wow, this thing is exploding! Now I realize that it is exploding in an undesirable way. Hopefully that can be fixed.

Oh, by the way, I’m not a spam bot, but I do like eating Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, Spam, eggs and Spam.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We were at a legit 550 or so when I went to bed last night. There have been about 300+ registrations since then, so no way to know the legit number of real members until I clean the spammers out.

Until then I’ve had to add some countermeasures like captchas and things to prevent them from loggin in and posting spam. There already are some spam posts within profiles I’ll have to get rid of.

I’m trying to setup a registration security thing to prevent new spammers from registering.

MauchDawgUte
      Ute Fan
      @mauchdawgute

This looks promising:

Spam shield

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I enabled a multi question deal for registration which I use on another one of my sites and works very well. That should stop 99.9% of the spam registrations. I also put a match captcha on the login which will suck, but prevent spammers who did register from logging in.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Just deleted about 200 unverified accounts which looked pretty spammy like zora987@yahoo.com etc…

BioUte
      Ute Fan
      @bioute

Holy cow, did we just go from 900 to 573? That’s a lot of spammers.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Ute Hub Site Comments and Suggestions Here come the spam bots – Report Spammers Please