I saw a sentiment out there that the committee wont care that we only

Viewing 3 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Beat Oregon State by 8. While that in and of itself may be true, the committee will definitely care about statistical rankigs such as Kenpom and Sagarin. These rankings are both going to be our strongest argument for inclusion, so the higher we can finish in them the better. We dropped from 31 to 43 in Kenpom after the OSU game. 

Style points matter in these statistical rankings, and we are going to rely on them heavily for inclusion in the tournament. Larry HAS to see this.

UtahUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @utahuteguy

I’m not going to spend my time worrying about whether we beat an opponent by 27 rather than 10.  If that’s going to be the difference between us making the tourney or not, I’d just as soon accept a bid to the NIT.  RUTS is bulls**t.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

Look, everyone sends in the end of the bench in a blowout, so over the season it works itself out. Not many of your big wins will accurately reflect the difference in the two teams. But putting in a full bench/walk on unit with 12 minutes left is something WE cant afford, and it hurt us. The standard anti RUTS stuff is fine. This was over the line and had tangible consequence, imo.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

The OSU game is irrelevant. We have to beat somebody this year. If not, we aren’t in. Oh, and we need to win the games we should win. 

Finally, and here is the P5 snobbery coming out, if we finish fourth in the PAC-12 we are in. Why? Because of the P5 bias. 

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

^^^^This^^^^^

Cal is at least a must split, we’ve already beaten USC.  We take care of all the games we should win, and at least split with Cal, which means just two more losses, Oregon & Cal, then I think we finish 4th and get in.  However if we get 2 of those 3 (Cal home/away, and Oregon away) AND take care of the bottom of the PAC, we will definitely be in.  The path forward is clear, no bad losses, and just one more decent win, then we are home free.

Minnesota Ute
      Ute Fan
      @minnesotaute

Cal is 57 and USC is 59… I think we’ll be fine.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) I saw a sentiment out there that the committee wont care that we only