Iowa Football pulls two 4-star recruits' Scholarship offers

Viewing 5 reply threads

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

I wanted to hear all your opinions on this. 

Apparently Iowa football has pulled Eno Benjamin’s, a 4 star army all American, scholarship offer after he took an official visit to another school after being committed to Iowa since August. Iowa has a policy that prohibits commits from taking any visits to other schools

Eno has been instrumental in putting together Iowas surprisingly spectacular group of commitments from out of Texas and was integral in drawing other prospects to Iowa City. Before his “Recommitment” Iowa had a top 25 recruiting class according to most recruiting services.

“There’s policies and then there’s rules,” Ferentz said of the issue on Tuesday. “Policies are policies. You can break policies. There’s no penalty. But rules are rules.”

It appears that Chevin Calloway, another 4 star recruit out of Texas, will also be having his Scholarship pulled. The two were Iowa’s top commitments in the 2017 class.

It is worth noting that Utah has offered both targets.

What are your thoughts and opinions on schools prohibiting recruits from taking visits to other schools? I assume Utah doesn’t do this?

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

I don’t like the idea of pulling schollies because a committed recruit keeps looking around.  I just think it sends the wrong message.  I know Utah has done this a lot but I wish they wouldn’t.

High Uintas
        Ute Fan
        @highuintas

When has Utah ever pulled a scholarship offer because a recruit took another visit?

jamarcus24
          Ute Fan
          @jamarcus24

Handsome Tanielu, who is starting for byu right now, was committed before Kalani started digging his nails in him at OSU.  He visited OSU, Kalani ended up at byu, then he visited byu, he visited Utah last and then we parted ways with him.  There was a kid either last year or two years ago who held an offer from us that took a visit to ASU and pretty soon after he no longer had a scholarship from Utah. Normally when this happens Brian Swinney takes to Twitter and says those kids held “non-commitable” offers.  Whatever that means.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

I heard differently about Handsome. I heard that Handsome wanted guarantees on playing time, the coaches wouldn’t give it to him, so they mutually parted ways. 

Anonymous
              Inactive

Potato potato? Utah pulled the schollie and moved on regardless.  

Utah
                Ute Fan
                @utah

In this case, there is a difference. I don’t think Utah pulled his scholarship because he took visits elsewhere. 

Anonymous
          Inactive

I think they pulled that Dtackle that plays for TDS-p. From Snow?

Anonymous
      Inactive

This is largely to save face and I don’t mind that kids do that or if the school follows through with it. Don’t commit in the first place and take visits. What does bug me are the late TDS-p push out of guilt and pressure from family. I say dump any kid who commits to Utah and then takes visits to stupid land. 

Extra Medium
      Ute Fan
      @runningreddude

I understand the rules, I understand the policy. You have to consider what’s best for each program. Personally I can see the benefit of holding young men to their word IF you are going to be held to your word. 

You are dealing with young impressionable boys who can get caught up in the excitement of a visit. Personally, I’d encourage a kid to visit every school and make the right decision for them BUT if they feel that your program is the right one, they shouldn’t be dating. Before I accept a commitment I’d ask if they had any other visits or schools they were hoping to go to. 

Big Kahuna
      Ute Fan
      @bigkahuna

Peterson at UW has this same policy. If you are committed it is a bilateral agreement in that UW will not recruit another recruit for a particular spot. I am pretty sure that Peterson would pull a scholarship if a recruit took a visit post committing.

My view is that, in some respects, this lessens the issue of decommits. Obviously Iowa has proven this not necessarily correct but my guess is that it lowers risks in the recruiting process. Bottom line you are committed or you are not and I think kids need to be honest along with the coaching staff.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

As long as it is made clear to the player what their commitment entails, I have no problem with schools doing this. If by committing to the school there’s an agreement that the school is committing to you, then you should not go on other visits and the school should have zero problems pulling a commitment from a player if they believe the player to be wavering.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Iowa Football pulls two 4-star recruits' Scholarship offers