Oregon State thoughts…

Viewing 2 reply threads

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

First things first. We only had 10 possessions in this game, and only ran 61 plays. That is an incredibly slow pace. I bet you could count on one hand the number of times we snapped the ball with more than 10 seconds left on the play clock. This is a strategy you want to use when the other team has a significant edge over you, not the other way around. Its a great way to minimize the gap between 2 teams. I dont know what this was about. Speed it up!

Our offense has an ok design, but is not diverse enough to be successful (who’s fault that is is hard to pin down). Its just so damn predictable. Any short yardage situation whatsoever we will either run, or run little curls and out routes at the sticks (with somebody out of the backfield). Having our former DC on the other team magnified this, and made things even more difficult. I dont know if there was an effort to be vanilla tonight, but even then, you’d have liked to see us be much more successful against a team of that caliber.

I thought we were out coached tonight. Significantly. Especially our D v their O. They kept running Bolden on these sweeps and we could not stop it. The guy was clearly weapon number 1 for them and we could not cap it. It just felt like they had a much better bead on what our offense was trying to do, than us theirs.

I dont know what it is about this team, but any time we get a lead, we relax. There is a noticeable drop in our execution, our focus, and our aggression. The coaches really need to figure out whats going on here. its going to cost us a game.

Not going to single out any players. I dont think any of these problems are due to a lack of effort whatsoever, and all I really expect out of the guys is to play their a@# off. I think the team as a whole simply need to play better, and they know that. A win is a win, on to the next one.

Anonymous
      Inactive

At this point in the season, everyone has film. They know our tendencies.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

At this point in the season, everyone has film. They know our tendencies.

As we have film on everyone else.

We are what we are. If we play great D and don’t F up on offense, we will win 80-90% of our games.

rbmw263
          Ute Fan
          @rbmw263

@admin how do you separate your comment from the block quote like this?

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

how do you separate your comment from the block quote like this?

@rbmw263
            copy the text to your clipboard. Then click on the b-quote button in the text editor. You’ll get the opening < blockquote > tag (without the spaces). Then paste your text. Then click the b-quote button again and you’ll get the closing tag (again, no spaces).

rbmw263
              Ute Fan
              @rbmw263

copy the text to your clipboard. Then click on the b-quote button in the text editor. You’ll get the opening < blockquote > tag (without the spaces). Then paste your text. Then click the b-quote button again and you’ll get the closing tag (again, no spaces).

thanks

YodaUte
      Ute Fan
      @yodaute

I agree with almost everything in your post except for the part about wanting a quicker tempo on offense. When you send all your best players to the defensive side of the ball you are never going to have an explosive offense. Utah under Whittingham will never win by outscoring people. I know you have to score more than your opponent, but you know what I mean. Utah wins with a great defense and a barely adequate offense. Why lengthen the game and give your offense a change to lose the game for you?

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

We need to speed it up when we are playing an opponent we are clearly better than. We are only doing them favors by playing that slow. Visualize the gap between Utah and Oregon State, as far as the quality of our teams and overall talent. That gap is present on each and every single play. Each play ran, that gap acts has a cumulative effect. The more plays you run, the bigger the gets. Does that make sense?

(referring to block quote) That makes sense when playing a team of equal or greater caliber. I definitely agree there. Not against Oregon State. By minimizing the possessions we kept that game closer than it should have been. As a result, a couple of fluke plays and we could have lost that game. A position we should never be in against a team we are that much better than. Really poor strategy by the coaches, for this particular opponent.

I know you have to score more than your opponent, but you know what I mean. Utah wins with a great defense and a barely adequate offense. Why lengthen the game and give your offense a change to lose the game for you?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by rbmw263.

YodaUte
          Ute Fan
          @yodaute

Maybe if we had an explosive offense I would agree with you. But our offense scored 21 of USC’s points. It’s just as well in my opinion to limit that kind of offensive production.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by YodaUte.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

thanks

No problem!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Oregon State thoughts…