Question for people who may know NFL stuff..

Viewing 5 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

Joe Williams? Draft stock? He has the physical ability it is clear. He has demonstrated that he is starting to take hits and get yards. He is going to perform really well I think on that 40 and everything. But NFL is a lot of mental, rookies are not the guys immediately. You have to earn your spot. Does Joe Williams still have the mental fortitude to endure that again?? I would love for the Ravens to pick Joe up but I want them to draft every Ute.

Also watch this Joe Williams run again:

Look at that ASU player diving for Joe….his facemask dragging. The dude had the angle, but just wasn’t even close to fast enough. Hehheh look at him dive makes me smile even wider.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Retiring is going to limit his draft stock. Teams are going to assume, rightfully so, that he isn’t fully invested and doesn’t really love the game. He really has been incredible breaking big runs but mostly he has been fantastic extending runs and finding the extra yards. Great skill set. Great physical tool box. He will get drafted in the later rounds I think. I’d he doesn’t retire he is a potential first 3 round guy

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

Running backs in the NFL are a dime a dozen now and speed is always king, so I’d say if he’s serious about playing at he next level someone will give him a shot.  I can’t remember what the stat is but he’s gone for around 850 in four games back and he has legit 4.3 speed.  He’s on someone’s radar.  If I’m an NFL scout my first question for him would be “why did you quit during the season?” followed up by “are you going to do that again?”

AFUte
      @afute

He’s an impressive back with one clear advantage over nearly every other back on NFL radars…breakaway speed.  When he gets to the second level, he takes it to the house with unequalled frequency.  However, he showns less ability to gain yards after contact compared to other backs, has a history of fumbling (that he’s quickly putting to rest), and the biggest red flag…early retirement.

Some other causes for discretion: he tends to gain yards in the second half against tired defenses, and his big breaks come from getting to the second level untouched (meaning the O-line did the work to get him there), which is a bit of a concern in the NFL where D-linemen are so good that getting to that level untouched with frequency takes a truly great offensive line.

NFL backs have seen their draft stock drop remarkably over the past 10 years.  It’s now rare to see a runningback taken in the first round.  Most offenses are 2 or 3 deep with runningbacks that see very little dropoff within the rotation. Because of this, his retirment may not actually hurt him that much. Teams don’t spend that much on backs anymore, so drafting him isn’t that big of a risk.

I would put him somewhere around Jeremy McNichols from BSU to Elijah Hood from UNC, meaning hovering around a top 10 spot.  That would place him somewhere in the late 3rd to mid 5th round.  How he finishes the year can solidify that spot, but I don’t see him moving up too much from there.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

He may find a spot as a specialty back ala Darrin Sproules. I can think of about a dozen teams who could use him right now.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I hope he can make a million bucks. He seems small to me for the NFL though.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Question for people who may know NFL stuff..