Rose Bowl vs. Playoff

Viewing 10 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Okay, so I got to thinking this morning. If you knew the outcome of the final game would you rather go to the Cotton Bowl and lose or go to the Rose Bowl and win?

I think I’d pick the Rose Bowl and win. Having the UTES play in the Grand Daddy of them all, Utah’s band in the parade, a Utah float in the parade…

I’m not sure why but I think I’d rather have the Utes lose in the Rose bowl than lose in the playoffs due to the experiences involved.

I know I’m getting way ahead of myself, but I’m just cautiously optimistic and just can’t wrap my head around playing for the NC. Honestly I’m not thinking about the playoffs until after a win in the PAC12 Championship game. But you’ve got to admit a Rose Bowl berth would be amazing.

Now if you throw in losing in the NC game vs Rose Bowl? Well that is a much tougher question.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

A bit of an odd topic. I think it’s best for the Utes to be at the highest level possible bowl-wise, for recruiting, exposure, experience and all that.

UTE98
        Ute Fan
        @ute98

Yeah, I know, I’m a bit of an odd duck. I still can’t get myself to be “all in” so it’s a good thing I’m not a player, huh?

This season is so surreal, but in my defense, this is the first year since 1998 I’ve attended a home game at Utah, and we wen’t all out last weekend. So I’m buying into the hype, but “I’ve been hurt before” and even though 2004 and 2008 I was ecstatic it seems a bit different being the one with the target on our backs.

Though on the bright side, I don’t think Kyle is entertaining the USC job, this team seems too focused. Maybe we are a team of destiny. I think we’d win the Rose Bowl or the first Playoff game, but I’m a bit worried about the NC game. Kyle is great at preparing for bowl games, but back to back bowl games? How do you prepare for that?

At least nobody can accuse me of being a fan of TDS.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Rose Bowl… Playoff… I’m most concerned about a ROAD game at USC this week!

Anonymous
      Inactive

#beatusc

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

If we can beat USC and then run the table and beat Stanford in the CCG, then we will beat anybody in the nation.

Luckily there is a LOT of football left to play and beating USC in the E Coli will be exceptionally difficult. Even UW in Husky Stadium will be a big challenge.

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

Too hard to say. I think sending this senior class out with a Rose Bowl win would be awesome, but I bet all the players would prefer to be in the hunt and meet their match and know it than be watching.

But there are too an variables to really have any idea. I mostly really really want to beat USC-west this week. 7-0 would just be so damn awesome.

Anonymous
      Inactive

First of all, we just need to worry about USC this week, nothing else. Second of all, the Rose Bowl is for Second Place this year, period.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Playoff means we’ve won the Pac 12, Rose bowl likely means we’ve lost the p12cg. Plus, its the freaking playoff. Unrivaled exposure.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

Not necessarily actually. What if the four other P5 champions finish undefeated, and the Playoff Selection Committee picks THEM to be the four playoff teams? We could go undefeated, win the Pac-12, and STILL not go to the Playoffs.

Wilson’s Mustache
        Ute Fan
        @sigmaute

Utah won’t be left out with their schedule if they go undefeated. If anything the BIG XII would be left out again for the lack of a championship game.

Alabama is likely to upset beat LSU this year.

I’d just be worried about Utah going undefeated first. They have a tough road ahead of us & it starts with what might be our most difficult team left in USC.

UteStuckInSeattle
          Ute Fan
          @utestuckinseattle

I’d even wager that if Utah loses 1 game and still wins the P12 Championship then we still have a good shot at the playoffs.

Wilson’s Mustache
            Ute Fan
            @sigmaute

Agree, it really just depends on what happens in front of them. The college football season is only half over. There will be plenty of surprises & upsets ahead.

Anonymous
        Inactive

We could go undefeated, win the PAC12, and still not be invited to the playoff

This is actually one of the dumbest comments I have ever read on the Internet, and that includes cougarboard.com. I’m exercising extreme self control right now in not calling Matthew Thomas Castleton a complete moron. I’m not wasting any more time on this other than to point to our #3 ranking and 6 other undefeated P5 teams ranked below us.

Brettski
      Ute Fan
      @brettski

Just get to the championship game and we’ll see what happens. Lots of football to be played yet.

THEeyepatch
      Ute Fan
      @theeyepatch1

“This is actually one of the dumbest comments I have ever read on the Internet, and that includes cougarboard.com. I’m exercising extreme self control right now in not calling Matthew Thomas Castleton a complete moron. I’m not wasting any more time on this other than to point to our #3 ranking and 6 other undefeated P5 teams ranked below us.”

And this is one of the most asinine posts I’ve read on Utehub since joining. Perhaps since you like living in the land of ‘what ifs’ Moose, maybe you’d be better suited for zoobieboard. Where fantasy and idiocy prevail over common sense and logic.

Perhaps USC should be something to worry about, then maybe Oregon State. Both teams could upset. It’s not as if Utah hasn’t been upset before (Colorado ’11) and losing to the Beavs would be one hell of an upset the way their season is going!

Something about counting chickens… Hmm? Leave that to the zoobs from December to August.

oc_ute
        Ute Fan
        @ocute

i don’t think moose was counting any chickens. he was simply stating that if we run the table we’re in the final 4. i happen to agree and i also think castleton’s post was very inaccurate to say the least. if we win out, we will be in without a doubt. however, it’s highly unlikely to win out IMO. one game at a time. beat the condoms !

Anonymous
          Inactive

Yes, you’re correct. I don’t know what THEeyepatch was reading or how his comments are at all related to what is in this thread.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Rose Bowl vs. Playoff