Running Back Depth

Viewing 3 reply threads

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

Our depth chart currently shows Joe Williams as the starter at RB and Troy McCormick at #2.  What other RBs are we likely to see get some snaps?  Is Zack Moss (5’10”, 213#) our change-of-pace guy?   And are we going to use fullbacks?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Wish we had Shawn Asiata still. Dude was like Moses with another Oline.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Whitt has said that Shyne and Moss are fighting for the third string. I’d bet that whoever gets it will be our short yardage guy.

I’d also bet that in short yardage we go 2-3 backs and run a triple option type play, but without the QB. For example, the QB reads the dive and if the dive isn’t there then quick pitches to the faster back for the outside edge (McCormick or Williams).

I don’t think we will see plays called for our QB to run much this year.

Anonymous
        Inactive

So the read is going away because Williams can actually stay in the pocket and go through progressions?

Wilson’s Mustache
          Ute Fan
          @sigmaute

Why would the read option go away?

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

It’s just what ARod has said. I have no clue otherwise.

iamthepreacher
              Ute Fan
              @iamthepreacher

We’re pretty thin at QB now, so I’m sure he’s trying to limit the number of carries Troy Williams would have. Keep him healthy as much as we can.

Anonymous
                Inactive

I like a Qb athletic enough that has escapability and is smart when he does run. I really hate the qb read option for health reasons.

Anonymous
                Inactive

The read option is one of the few plays that TW1 had down. After watching a weeks worth of Utah games in 60 minutes, I came away cringing over the p**s poor mechanics we and the coaches had to put up with. I honestly believe that TW1’s mother was blowing Arod to keep him at starting QB. Arod obliged, but with a game plan than managed around the deficiencies. Then the predictability bit them in the ass in the AZ and UCLA games without the option of feeding Booker.

TW1 was a joke. The bar has been set very low. TW2 will blow us away with his talent. The offensive coaches will open up a game plan that looks like the moves of an 18 year old sailor who’s been at sea for a year.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

Valid points but we don’t need the inappropriate delivery. Wilson was the best Utah had Cox is transferring. Hansen was moved to defense and a JUCO was brought in.

As bad as Wilson was Thompsom was far worst with his inability to make reads, his poor ball carrying skills and his smaller body.

jamarcus24
              Ute Fan
              @jamarcus24

If your QB is athletic enough to run the read I think you should keep it in the arsenal.  Hopefully with Williams the offense won’t have to lean on the read option to move the ball like we did so often with Travis.

noneyadb
                Ute Fan
                @noneyadb

I seriously don’t want to see another read option play for the entire season.

Anonymous
                  Inactive

You can get an AMEN! from me.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Troy Williams is built like a tank and has blazing speed, but he is actually a pass-first QB. He is quick, accurate, and runs through progressions.

I am excited to see our RBs this season and hope we don’t of them into the ground.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Running Back Depth