So my view from a bar stool.

Viewing 3 reply threads

Anonymous
      Inactive

Utah struggled early defensively.  Once Utah started hitting Potter SJSU pretty much gave up.  The Oline gave up the Running back Cooper gave up.  It also seemed liked the play calling gave up because they wanted Potter to stand in the pocket and deliver balls down field.  Potter was a mobile guy who sort of thrived off broken plays similar Hill.  But he took a beating of like 6-7 sacks between three possessions I think? That was it he was done.  Then that run around with multiple Utah Dlineman screaming for his blood he escapes only to have Pita T and Hansen dice him up short of the first down.  
      I believe the first team defense gave up 3 points tonight?  The seven was off a turnover and the second TD was  no call hold on the second team defense.   I give the Defense a A-, a few missed turnovers but overall great defense.

Offense, where to begin?  I feel like Utah runs plays lots of different style of plays.  No identity and they can’t figure out what they want to run.  At least with Wilson they eventually came to conclusion he is a read option style QB lets go with it.  Troy Williams seems like a great QB that can make throws over the top.  He delivers the sweetest downfield ball that Utah fans have seen since…..well I can’t remember.  He has developed a favorite target for sure.  The wideouts still have plenty of issues though.  Blocking isn’t great and some drops.  The rushing game took forever to get going against a vastly inferior rush defense.  I didn’t understand this at all.  But again the play calling seemed off.
       I think two games with redzone turnovers is a development of a problem. TW2 seems like he can be lazy on certain throws and they take longer to make the play happen.  The balls I want him to throw are the strong deliveries like he did against BYU to close the half.  Sometimes he tries to put too much “touch” on passes that need to be just delivered.   McCormick’s turnover was ugly because he should have went down and he was being a little c**ky IMO.   Also where are the TE’s?  Utah has Handley and Moeai no targets from what I can remember.  Oline was ugly, I think they did far better against BYU.  A lot of penalties that shouldn’t have happened.  
      I give the offense a C+ turnovers shouldn’t have happened at all.  The running game is really coming together and has me confident moving forward in conference play.  Playcalling and ZERO turnovers needs to happen. Utah can not afford at all to have multiple turnovers against any team on the schedule except maybe Arizona.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Utah is 3-0 and looks like a team that lost a lot on offense.  I still think 9 wins is possible and maybe the PAC12 South eats itself.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Nobody in the Pac-12 south looks that good to me, except perhaps Colorado and it’s early in the season.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks for the POV, as I didn’t get to watch the game.

I was at a concert with the wife and I was using the ESPN live game tracker. At one point I flipped over to the UCLA vs BYU game. Then when I flipped back to the Utah game, the marker for Utah was a “Y” logo. I about puked. I backed out and re-entered the live track and the “U” logo came back and all was good.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

Pretty sure Moeai had a couple of short gains but don’t remember seeing Handley at all. I was saying in the chat last night that I was hoping to see more of the double TE spread out in the red zone get those big bodies to shield off the defenders, obviously with Patrick being on the field.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football So my view from a bar stool.