So…what's up with our MBB recruiting?

Viewing 5 reply threads

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

It seems like the first few years Larry had the Midas touch with recruiting. I mean, year one was about survival; putting warm bodies on the court. But after that, it felt like things began to roll.

Delon takes us to a Sweet 16, LK’s third recruiting class of Chapman, Poeltl, Wright, and Kuzma that looked so great on paper has been oddly bi-polar from expectations, and it seems like we’ve sort of plateaued. Our recruiting has been hits and misses — Johnson being the only 4-star guy we’ve pulled in since the Sweet 16.

Anyway, I thought when we made the Sweet 16, opened the basketball facility, and went back to the Dance the next year that a higher level of recruiting success would come a *little* more naturally. Hasn’t really panned out that way.

I’m not expecting us to match UCLA and Arizona on the recruiting trail, but perhaps be pulling in that next tier of player right under those guys. Instead, we’re still getting out recruited by Oregon, Washington, and Cal and keeping pace with the lower half of the conference. Our best recruits are transfers from mid-majors and community colleges? Why aren’t talented high schoolers giving us a more serious look? Is it our staff? Is it our Under Armor deal? Is it a lack of connection in the AAU world?

Overall, I’m happy with how things are going with our basketball program. I actually think they’re doing a great job. But in this one area it seems like we’re coming up shorter than I expected (or, perhaps, just hoped).

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The turnover is a concern for me.  Not sure if certain players were helped to leave to make room for better players, or if there was a mass exodus for some other reason.

Utahute72
        Ute Fan
        @utahute72

A little of both, Tony. I think like football, Larry is very honest about people about their future. I’m sure he offers the ones with upside a chance to stay and improve or look elsewhere, others may not have any room for improvement and move on.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Chapman was our only real “loss” this year, correct? And there were definitely issues there that made the move/transfer best for both parties. 
      Other than that, I think we are in a good place. Kuzma and Bonham are known quantities and very good ones at that. Barefield looks to be extremely legit, if not amazing. 
      Collette is a solid, solid, SOLID addition. 
      Come December, we will be very good. 

This is the most talented team we’ve had under Larry K. 

Two years ago, we had Poeltl and Wright that had NBA potential. 

Last year, we had Poeltl and Kuzma who had NBA potential. 

This year, we have Daniels, Johnson, Kuzma, and Barefield who have NBA potential. We are headed in the right direction. 

Torg
        Ute Fan
        @torg

Playing devils advocate, we’ve got to see them play first IMO before we jump to statements such as: this is our most talented team. I trust that Larry has pulled in guys that are going to buy in and give us some great games, but we’ve had a lot of turnover. We have some proven commodities and a lot of unproven commoddities.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

Looks like I spoke too soon. Welcome to the U, Branden Carlson.

UtesMuss1
      Ute Fan
      @utesmuss1

I’m still torn on why Chapman left. Was he really homesick? I’ve heard some rumors and don’t really want to put that in the open, but he had a shot to be a real player this season along with Kuzma.

FountainofUte
        Ute Fan
        @fountainofute

Yeah, I don’t get the Chapman issue either. I think the fans probably had overly optimistic visions of what he’d be, and how soon he’d be it. But he was still on track to be a heck of an upperclassman. Of all of the departures, I hated seeing him go.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Id heard he got his GF pregnant and thats why he went up there.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

The rumors you heard were probably true. In fact, I’m pretty sure Larry said some things that were quoted in the papers. It’s been too long and I certainly don’t want to spend my evening searching for it but it’s safe to say he wasn’t all in. That alone would, and should get you pushed out. Even if you didn’t read or hear anything on the radio, just look at his body. We walked out of here with the same body he came in with. Now contrast that with Kuzma.

Hal Evans
      Ute Fan
      @dixieute

My take is that the recruiting reporting while important is way overblown. One thing recruiting doesn’t consider is heart and the college coach. many of you are too young to go there but Utah has never been most 4 or 5 star recruits destination. When you look at the late 90″s Utes anyone want to guess how many 4 and 5 star recruits we had. Not Van Horn, not Andre Miller, not Doleac, not Jacobsen, not Hanno,…etc. Coach will have a good team together by the time the Pac12 comes together but don’t expect us to beat Xavier

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) So…what's up with our MBB recruiting?