Surprise Player of the Year

Viewing 9 reply threads

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

So with the season right around the corner (two weeks from tomorrow) who do you think will be the surprise player of the year (someone no one or few are talking about right now) and why?

As for me, I am going to go with Repp. We know something about him now, but I think he is going to be a top two receiver in terms of yards and TDs. He is big, strong and a fairly sure target.

(I actually think the WRs as a whole are going to surprise this year. I have a lot of confidence in Tim Patrick, Tyronne Smith and Caleb Repp. Mix in some RB swing pass action, a dash of Troy McCormick in the slot, and Moeai/Handley and I think we will have a 250+ passing attack this year).

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

Chase Hansen is going to be better than we ever thought.

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I like the Hansen pick.

Here is my surprise player of the year: Whoever our slot receiver is. Someone will step in that position and ARod/Harding know how to use them. It will be Fulks, Butler-Byrd or Simpkins. One of those three will take the job once games start and will have a better year than Covey did last year.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Utah.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

How funny – I was just going to chime in and say Chase Hansen. I like how you guys think.
      I certainly agree on Repp.
      And I also agree… I think that ALL of the receivers are going to seem like they’re breaking out, compared to years past.
      Man, if we can turn even just a little into quarterback U… can you imagine how good Covey’s going to be when he gets back??? Wow.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

I’m going to go with one of our three freshmen D-Linemen: Maxs Tupai, Leki Fotu, and Bradlee Anae.  I heard Whittingham singing their praises in an interview the other day and I think Anae has actually cracked the 2-deep at DE.  I hope we get these three guys lots of playing time this year.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Special Teams:

Mitch Wishnowsky punter.  We will see how Whitt has done it again on Special teams. I think Wishnowsky actually runs better than Hackett.

Defense:

Tauteoli MLB the way this front seven is you just have to be sound in your assignments and stay home. He will surprise us all by the USC game.

Offense:

Troy Williams is the obvious choice here. Wilson was so all over the place we will be very happy to see him throwing passes. Escaping pressure and making accurate reads out of the pocket. Basically a proper qb.

Anonymous
        Inactive

I’m with you: Mitch Wishboomski

Anonymous
          Inactive

Which is saying a lot considering he is replacing a two time Guy award winner.

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

Our freshmen D-Linemen are scary. Outright scary. The next 4 years are going to be so fun to watch from that perspective.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I’m gonna go with Troy McCormick here. Dude has some serious speed as he showed off in the Vegas Bowl against CSU. I know Joe Williams is gonna be the #1 RB and get a bulk of the carries, but I think as we shift to a more running back by committee approach (as we have to, nobody can shoulder Booker’s workload) that McCormick is really gonna shine. I’d even like to see him step into the slot sometimes. Get this kid the ball with some room to move and he’s gonna gash the opposing defense.

Edited for spelling.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by KiYi-Ute.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

I was going to say Troy McCormick too for the same reason you stated. The ’14 Vegas Bowl gave us a glimpse of what he can do, but the injury (the following spring, I believe) put a damper on the hype.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by CincyUte.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Sounds like McCormick has looked really, really good in the screen game.

KiYi-Ute
            Ute Fan
            @kiyi-ute

My favorite Madden play, to boot. Turn the kid loose.

Anonymous
            Inactive

I always felt like Utah’s screen game has been poor because of the QB.  Maybe I am judging it by the NFL standards but I love those Big Ben, Manning, Brady type screens where they are under center immediately stand up and throw it to wing for a screen pass perfectly executed.

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

I think we’ll be most surprised by Sunia Tauteoli at linebacker. Having one of the best D-llines in the country & a solid defensive back corp will make things easier.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

im pretty sure by week 3 there is going to be a lot of frustration within the fan base that Fulks was passed over for PT last season

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Surprise Player of the Year