This years finish in the South

Viewing 8 reply threads

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I go back and forth. One minute I think we’re gonna win the whole damned thing, then I go back to thinking we’ll be fighting to hang on to #3 in the division.

If we start 4-0 I’ll feel pretty good about our chances. If we don’t beat USC at home I think we’re unlikely to take the South.

IIRC UCLA has a pretty favorable schedule too. We could go 11-1 and still not win the South.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

UCLA is the pretty clear favorite, Us USC and the Arizonas are pretty much all wild cards. I predict Colorado does not finish last. We could be the ones taking their place. I also think we have a great chance to win it all if Troy is for real (and our LBs arent awful)

1 1

Wilson’s Mustache
      Ute Fan
      @sigmaute

If we don’t beat USC we won’t win the South. Even then, we most likely would have to beat UCLA to avoid any kind of tie breaker scenario like last year. Not sure Utah can pull one out in the Rose Bowl this year.

It’s just really hard to predict how everything is going to play out. Both USC & UCLA have a ton of potential…& a ton of bust potential as well.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Ah screw it, I’m excited, had a great time at Fan Fest yesterday, I’m unabashedly going all in. We win the south. We have an easy non-con schedule which will help us in November. USC has to face Alabama and Stanford before they face us at our place. Brutal, brutal, brutal! New coach for SC plus they might be on their 2nd QB by the time we play them. SC has an equally brutal end of schedule, Oregon, at Washington and UCLA then Notre Dame at home. Two rivalry games to close the season. I know the outcome of the ND game has no bearing on the division race but that game could be looming as they try to close out the end of the season.

UCLA, like USC has a respectable non-con schedule. We’ve yet to see a team get rewarded for this by the playoff committee so good luck UCLA with 9 conference games and aTm while we tune up against SUU. UCLA always seems to just simply not get it for one reason or another even though they always have an NFL QB, sans 2011.

We “run Cali” again this year and take the south.

UtahUteGuy
        Ute Fan
        @utahuteguy

I reward that kind of optimism with a thumbs up!

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

f(*# it. There is one more footballess saturday and im jumping on the hype train.

Thlete
      Ute Fan
      @thlete

According to my UCLA friends, the Bruins perennially underachieve their hype and potential, so hoping that continues. The first conference game at home against USC is definitely huge.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

I think UCLA should be legitimately contending for the final 4. They will underachieve and finish somewhere around 10-15.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The problem is we simply don’t know how good our offense is going to be. They could be amazing, but with so many new players in key positions it’s going to be interesting to see how they pan out.

rbmw263
        Ute Fan
        @rbmw263

The last two seasons were pretty damn predictable. Right in the range I expected them to be in (really good, not great but painfully close). Having such a big unknown(s) is incredibly excited and also deathly terrifying. Cant wait to watch this team line up

bighand
          Ute Fan
          @bighand

I agree I could see anything from 10-2 to 7-5 depending on how the LB’s, QB’s, and WR’s work out…based on on what we’re hearing out of camp I’m drinking the kool aid and thinking closer to 10-2.

Tacoma Ute
            Ute Fan
            @tacomaute

Aw, what the heck? 13-2 with a loss in the national title game.

rbmw263
            Ute Fan
            @rbmw263

I could see anywhere from 12 wins (reg season loss, p12cg, ncg snub and big bowl victory) to 5 wins. Soft LBs could be too big of a hole to overcome on defense and essentially collapse the entire structure. Dont think I need to go into it offensively

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think Josh Rosen has a Serious case of the Sophomore blues that not even a skank ASU slump buster in an inflatable hot tub can cure.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Last year

Santa Monica College  vs Victor Valley Championship Bowl game

63-0

Troy Williams  18-24/383-yds/7-tds/0-ints.

That 7th TD was with 6 min left in the Third Quarter.

I think Utah is going to have a very special year.

Anonymous
        Inactive

Impressive stats, but Victor Valley is as backwater as it gets in CA. It’s like comparing Mesquite to Las Vegas. The pickings are pretty thin out there.

His resume last year was good. The competition was better than HS, but far from PAC 12 level. Still the reps he got can only help and you can tell by his stats they turned him into a passer as opposed to a dual threat QB. He still has the running ability, but he’s a passer now.

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Understand it’s a different level of competition, but the improvement at Santa Monica from 2014 to 2015 is pretty impressive.

Yrds/gm    Rush     Pass    PTS/Game       Record

2014-         490           222        268         45                    7-4

2015-         515            207        308         51                    11-0

+25             -15         +40         +6

Anonymous
            Inactive

Someone got to him and told him that if you want to make it to the NFL you need to be a passer. Last year he passed for 2700 yards. 68% completion rate, 34 TDs against 4 INTs, 10 yard average per completion. Those stats tell me he’s a very accurate passer and he’s throwing the ball downfield. He also rushed for 7 or 8 TDs, so that is there if needed. As I’ve said, I’m cautiously optimistic. I haven’t seen much of him at this level, but everyone who has says he’s the real deal. And damn it, Utah deserves this!

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I’ve consumed all of the Kool Aid and a good amount of whiskey. Utah wins the south and plays either Washington or Stanford in the PAC-12 title game.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football This years finish in the South