Viewing 15 reply threads

Tacoma Ute
      Ute Fan
      @tacomaute

I get the Internal Server Error.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Just checked.  Yep. It’s down.  Looks like some bad code or someone f’d up the apache configuration.

MTM
      Ute Fan
      @mtm

Every time it happens I kind of hope it has finally died.

I have a love/hate with that board. Actually, more like a like/hate.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

I still like it. Every few months I take a break from it but I still like it. It used to be so much better before so many great members left.

I’m glad we have an alternative now. Thanks Tony!!! Hopefully more and more people discover this site.

MTM
          Ute Fan
          @mtm

That’s kind of what I meant when I said I have a Like/Hate relationship.

Clearly, I still frequent but it’s not like it used to be.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

This happened just a few months ago. Why does this happen?

hnoseguard
      Ute Fan
      @hnoseguard

This happens every 3 months like clockwork. I’m betting that the hosting (Xmission) is paid for in quarterly, 3 month increments with no auto renew. Since Web Monkey has little to nothing to do with the site anymore, he misses the expiration notification emails and Xmission kills the site when the renewal bill is not paid. If/when WM realizes the site is offline, the bill gets paid and service restored.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

If it’s a case of not paying, an account suspended notice would be normal. What I saw was a server error. Maybe that’s what xmission does. Dunno.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

We need to get more people onboard here. It’s grown nicely bu any ideas on what we can do to make the membership numbers explode?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Word of mouth is the best way to get the message out there.

We need to get more people onboard here. It’s grown nicely bu any ideas on what we can do to make the membership numbers explode?

mokus
      Ute Fan
      @mokus

I have only been on ufn since two Decembers ago. I have only just found her and she is being taken from me. This is very hard for me.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

I hope it survives. I also hope this site continues to take off. Then we can just toggle between the two.

AlohaUte
      Ute Fan
      @alohaute

I too have a love-hate with UF.N. More of a hate than a love. It has become an echo chamber for a handful of diehard, irrational ute fans who are anti-mormon and talk about BYU more than they talk about Utah. The love is that it still has the occasional solid post on Utah sports.

I too hope this site grows and gets more users and I hope we can avoid the BYU obsession and anti-mormon ferver that has taken over UFN.

Tacoma Ute
        Ute Fan
        @tacomaute

I wish our fan base wasn’t so fragmented. That’s why I’ve been making a concerted effort to avoid posting, or even reading political or religious posts.

Yes those are important subjects and I do have strong opinions on them but I view Ute sports as an oasis, a break from life’s more stressful issues. I just wanna talk about our beloved Utes with fellow fans of any philosophical persuasion.

Go Utes! Stomp USC!

GadValleyUte
          Ute Fan
          @maximumkungfu

Unchecking Politics and BYU categories made my UFN experience much better.

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

It also killed the activity on that site.

AZswayze
        Ute Fan
        @AZswayze

I disagree. There is one person who often posts anti-Mormon stuff, and he gets called out every single time, often times by non-religious posters. There are discussions about facets of the Mormon religion, some negative, but that’s not nearly as common during the football and basketball seasons. I assume the “echo chamber” refers to the liberal posters. Universities tend to lean heavily left, so it’s no surprise that a message board dedicated to college football is going to bring in a good dose of progressives, even in Utah. I don’t like the posts that attack Mormons unprovoked, but I also think that a good chunk of people play the persecution card far too often.

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

I wish our fan base wasn’t so fragmented.

Our culture along the Wasatch front is fragmented. There are many elements that tend to divide our communities and erode our culture.

Meanwhile, there are a few uniting forces–Utah athletics, for example. Is there anything that unites our diverse and fragmented population more than Utah Football?

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

I guess I’m weaning off of UF.N. I had no idea they were down, and this was the first place I came today. I usually check there after here, maybe once a day.

hnoseguard
      Ute Fan
      @hnoseguard

Just checked and the last time UF.N had this issue was. . .drumroll. . .July 21. And before that. . .May 21. I’m 99% sure it’s just a matter of the hosting bill not being paid. I think more than anything it just shows how little care and upkeep is given to that site when you can’t be bothered to pay the hosting bill on time.

hnoseguard
        Ute Fan
        @hnoseguard

Another day ending in 21 and the site is down. Coincidence? I think not. Looks like he switched from a 60 day billing cycle to a 30 day billing cycle though. Didn’t he just raise $1100 to help pay for hosting costs?

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

Looks like he switched from a 60 day billing cycle to a 30 day billing cycle

Service Temporarily Unavailable

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later.

That’s a different error than last month. Who knows. I think you are probably right.

hnoseguard
            Ute Fan
            @hnoseguard

Looks like the error has changed now. Earlier this morning, it was showing the same error as previous. I did confirm with Xmission (I use them for hosting myself) that if you don’t pay your domain renewal fee or hosting fees, that is the error you should expect to see.

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

Yep.

Took his fundraiser down because it was stuck on around $1100 for a week with no additional contributions – nowhere near the initial ask of $4000 and not even around the revised as, of $2000.

The gig’s up. People are on to his crap.

Be prepared for the onrush of visitors here today. There will be a lot because that board is down again. And they are all welcome here. 🙂

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

here’s my biggest bitch about ufn. webmonkey soaked the loyal posters by doing aggressive fundraisers which lead to him finally coming out and saying he needed money because he was going through hard times. No fault, no foul, but the first drive netted over 6k while posters like myself were thinking there were going to be some cool site upgrades and other such things. Well, it didn’t turn out that way and it became clear that the money was going straight to him when he asked a 2nd time and still picked up about another 2-3 grand. These were people just outright giving him money out of the kindness of their hearts plus a token of appreciation for running the site. Then came the 3rd time and I think he got about 1500 bucks before he took it down, which coincided with his drunken car accident at City Creek Mall.

He’s never expressed gratitude for the money that was given to him and I will not forgive him for it. For me, that’s as big a sin, actually bigger than getting plastered and ramming a parked car.

I think it’s a chickens**t, bulls**t move and I cut-off my regularly scheduled donations.

The f**ker doesn’t have the balls to show his face, get involved and try to save the site. He can go to hell as far as I’m concerned. You take money from me and don’t thank me, I’m through with you!

I think he keeps paying the quarterly bill as long as the revenue is greater than the cost. I have no idea what revenue is generated by the ads and people may still be donating but the moment that quarterly bill is greater than the revenue it’s 404 error for good.

hnoseguard
        Ute Fan
        @hnoseguard

89ute is 100% correct on all points he made. I share and echo the same sentiments.

89ute
          Ute Fan
          @89ute

I love you man!

St George Ute
      Ute Fan
      @stgeorgeute

So I noticed Twitter is down today too. Connection??? Nah, I didn’t think so either.

hnoseguard
        Ute Fan
        @hnoseguard

There’s a large DDOS attack on a major DNS provider that brought the internet to its knees today, crippled the whole east coast. Unrelated to WM not paying his hosting/renewal fees.

Utemachine
      Ute Fan
      @utemachine

I’m done with ufn, today was the last straw for me. I’ve been to that site every other day since around 2002. Isn’t there a setting here that mimicked the look of ufn? Either way, so long old friend. You’ve been a fun site for many years. You’re like the really nice neighborhood restaurant that everybody went to and for that reason you never put a dime into upkeep. Now I look around and it’s a dump. You’ve got duct tape on the seats, stained carpet, nasty wallpaper, and bad food. Time to move on.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Isn’t there a setting here that mimicked the look of ufn?

Well, not exactly. At the request of many I built the home page in what I call the “threaded view” format, which is the same structure as UFN and Cougarboard. The latest topic is posted, with the replies in order oldest to newest beneath it. But I’ve added some different features to that format, and a more modern set of buttons and interface stuff.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Misc UFN down again?