Utah vs Miami revisted

Viewing 6 reply threads

SackLakeCity
      Ute Fan
      @sacklakecity

So I have been thinking about Utah’s style of Basketball vs Miami’s style of play. (I realize it has been a while since they played, but just barely put this together)

Utah plays a great fundamental based basketball game based on passing, movement, and utilizing the strengths of the players. This is credit to a great coach. I think Utah’s system with Poetl in the center is something that takes time to gel as players figure out how to run it and play together.

Miami played a system more based on quickness, depth, and athleticism. I think there system is great when they are making shots, getting steals, and getting transition points, but has some deficiencies in the half court.

Conclusion: I think Utah will be a better team at the end of the season when they gel whereas Miami will probably get knocked off in the early rounds when they hit a cold streak or match up with a team that matches their athleticism.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I think Utah has some real troubles come PAC12 play if Poeltl gets in foul trouble. He always gets one he doesn’t deserve and has to play really soft to avoid anymore. It is also really apparent Utah has glaring deficiencies when he is off the court. When he is on the court sometimes I get annoyed with the offense because they are not giving the ball to the best player on the court.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

The main reason TDS got back into the game against us is because we stopped giving him the ball…for like 8 freaking minutes. I agree with the sentiment that he should always touch the ball.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

@torg we also started giving TDS the ball. You know, just throwing it inbounds to them by their own basket so they could make easy layups.

Torg
      Ute Fan
      @torg

hah true that. Isaiah Wright must have had a bet on BYU to cover the spread.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

Didnt like how much quicker they looked than us at most every position. They beat us playing 1 on 1 and hitting a ton of jumpers.

FountainofUte
      Ute Fan
      @fountainofute

I don’t think style of play had much to do with the Miami game. It was really simple: Miami was huge and deep. We have NOTHING in the middle when Poeltl is on the bench. Nada. Zip. Zilch. Jakob gets two early fouls, our guys aren’t hitting their shots. Game over. And that was all w/in the first 10 minutes of the game.

IF we can get better shooting out of our wings than we did that night, maybe we can weather the storm when Jakob sits, but I think – like most teams – we just have to hold our breath when our best player is on the bench. We don’t have Kentucky depth. Most schools don’t. With that said, I think our depth is above average for most D1 teams, but below the better P5 teams right now. Our lack of depth at the 5 is astounding. I’d kill to have Bachynski or Olsen this year. That’s about all we lack, but it’s a HUGE void.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 4 months ago by FountainofUte.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I almost want the first pass made to Poeltl when the ball crosses halfcourt. I am that crazy about the fact that he should touch the ball 95% of the time. He gets doubled and makes teams pay when he can see over the top and make pretty passes.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Utah vs Miami revisted