Weather Concerns

Viewing 4 reply threads

Tomasina
      Ute Fan
      @tomasina

The weather for this game is looking to be cold with rain.  It seems that there always talk about an advantage in having “warm weather teams” come here and having to play in the cold… but I do not see it.  Recent memory seems to show that we do not play all that well in the cold either.

Can anyone remember the last time we won big in bad weather?

Sweetness
      Ute Fan
      @sweetness

The Arizona State game from last year comes to mind. Although, the weather wasn’t terrible for that game. A few years ago we destroyed UCLA when it snowed, but UCLA wasn’t very good.

I agree with you though. Media etc. seem to talk about bad weather as an advantage for us, but if you look back on it some of our worst performances have been in bad weather. The Arizona debacle, blowing the three touchdown lead against Washington State, and Wilson’s 6 pick game against UCLA.

I do think this year’s team will be a little better equipped to play in the rain. Troy Williams ought to be able to throw the ball a little better than Wilson could in adverse weather, and we should still be able to maintain a little balance. Also, if I were a USC fan, I would hate the idea of starting a RS Freshman for the first time against a very good defense and in bad weather. I think there is a lot of potential for Darnold to make some crucial errors. Maybe they just try to pound the ball all night though.

RedRocks
      Ute Fan
      @hypodactylus

I personally think weather and altitude “advantages” are overblown.  Our starting QB and most of our young players probably have never played in the snow/cold (unless they are from Utah).  Altitude may be more of an advantage, but I doubt it makes much difference.

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

There was a study done, in the NBA the Jazz experienced a 30% advantage playing at home due to elevation. I will see if I can find the link. But for Football unless the Offense spreads the D out and hangs on to the ball for long drives the elevation is not as much of a factor.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

We haven’t been able to hold onto the ball in dry weather.  Friday could be interesting.

UTEMAN
      Ute Fan
      @ute-man

UCLA a few years ago.  I don’t care if its cold but I don’t want rain.  Hard for the fans and not good for wet balls and passing

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Weather Concerns