What I’d like to see with our coaching:

Viewing 4 reply threads

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

Whitt – keep the man as long as he wants to be here. 9 wins is ALWAYS a great year in a P5 conference, especially when you end up ranked and win your last game. 

ARod – It’s time. Let’s part ways with ARod. There isn’t room for him. We need to get better, and he is the weak link. 

OC – Harding. Give him the job alone or allow him to Co-OC with someone else…for example, Brian Wright. Wright is a QB coach, has been an OC for 14 years (experience), has experience in Florida, and has taken a couple of teams from pro-style/grind out the clock teams to up tempo/spread offenses. He could help Whitt through Whitt’s challenges of trusting a spread/uptempo team and help us make the full switch to spread offense. Plus, he has a ton of experience outside of the program. 

QB Coach – bring in someone new. See above. I think Mike Wright would be a great coach for us. 

RB – Erickson

WR – Holliday

TE – Whittingham, Fred

OL – Bring in a new OL coach. The NCAA will vote to add an additional coach to the coaching staffs soon. When that happens, it will allow us to get our QB coach, improve the OC position, and make this a more professional coaching staff. 

Just sucks for ARod. But, ARod has been making $400,000 a year, so it’s not like he has been used or anything. Time for ARod to head out to FAU or Weber St or Oregon St or something. 

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

I don’t disagree. But is it still the QB? New boss, same as the old boss. I had some hope in the offensive staff last night when we gave up the passing when it was apparent that 47% completion rate wasn’t getting it done. We were rolling when Huntley came in and we ran the read option exclusively. But the Moss fumble messed that up. I loved what the coaches did here, I would have liked to have seen it some more but handing it to Joe was working well too. I liked that the coaches made the adjustment and abandoned the passing game.

I think we all had high hopes for Troy Williams. I think Tyler Huntley wins the job next year, Troy will be a valuable back-up.

With the way the future QB situation looks we might finally be out of the woods. I believe in Tyler Huntley. I watched him all spring long, he can throw and he’s a gamer. He may make A-Rod look like a genius.

Because of this, I’m not quick to ask for A-Rods head on a plate (yet).

One more year.

Eagle
        Ute Fan
        @eagle

They need help on the offense.  They need to bring in a QB coach.  Bottom line, Wilson and Williams, in his first year with the Utes, did not/has not progressed.  The Red Zone offense is pathetic and I think that’s a lot due to play calling.  This is where designing and calling the right plays to score matters, it’s where coaching shows up the most.  The field gets tighter and calling the right play becomes even more critical and obviously the Utes are lacking there.  

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

Man, you talk some sense there. At the very least, we need a QB coach. When we can add another coach, if you decide to keep ARod, I’d go like this:

OC: ARod/Harding

QB: New coach

WR: Holliday

RB: Erickson or if Erickson retires, put ARod here

TE: Fred Whitt

OL: Harding. If Erickson retires, put ARod at RB coach and hire a new OL coach and let Harding develop as an OC and put some time in with the OL as well. 

Eagle
          Ute Fan
          @eagle

Look at Wilson’s stats over four years.  His best year statistically was his sophomore year.  He actually got worse from there.  Blame can’t be all on Wilson, he didn’t get the coaching he needed to progress and therefore when he was needed most in the most critical games the Utes had to win to get that Rose Bowl or championship game in the PAC-12, he, nor Williams this year, delivered.

Utah
            Ute Fan
            @utah

Wilson’s best year came under BJ. lol. 

Utephoria
      Ute Fan
      @utephoria

I like the thought of Scott Mitchell coming in to be the quarterbacks coach. He has the desire and skills to teach Williams and Huntley to be better quarterbacks. 

Eagle
        Ute Fan
        @eagle

Good thought.  Scott coached HS football and did well.  He’s lost a lot of weight and is healthier now.  I think it could work well.

jamarcus24
      Ute Fan
      @jamarcus24

I’m not going to hold my breath on Whit going out to bring in a new QB coach. I wish he would though because it became apparent to me after that Shelley kid from Texas committed that we’re bringing in dual-threat, playmaking QBs and we’re running a system that doesn’t allow for them to get out on the perimeter and run. It bugged me all season because it seemed like we were trying to turn Troy into a pocket passer when just a few short years ago he was the top dual-threat QB coming out of high school. Then when the report came out that he was playing with a sprained MCL all season it made more sense. Then we throw Huntley in last night and he shows a really good burst off the read option which is something Troy hasn’t done all season. I hope it’s an open competition for QB next year because Huntley has more playmaking ability than Troy does and I’d hate to see us stifle it by making him sit on the bench another year.

We’ve been fortunate to have two great running backs the last three seasons. You could also say we’ve had great run blocking as well. It seems like that’s our identity as an offense and I’m okay with but I’d just like the see more dynamic play from the QB.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

The Co-OC thing needs to end. PERIOD.

We need to get a QB coach whose sole job is to be a QB coach, and it needs to be someone who actually has played the position with some success AT LEAST at the college level if not the pros. A-Rod is not developing our QBs properly, simple as that.

The defense took some steps back this season but I’m not convinced that is due to Scalley taking over, so I would like to see what he can do in the next few years.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What I’d like to see with our coaching: