What is Troy Williams Ceiling?

Viewing 6 reply threads

Kirk Herbstreet
      Ute Fan
      @mariolemute

Despite the three awful interceptions, I have been really impressed with Troy Williams. In fact, I am not nearly as down on the offense as some of you seem to be.

Yes, those three INT’s were downright awful. He cost us at least six points of offense because of them. But, with the offensive line bringing it together, the power and speedy run game getting going, and the improved quality of WRs we have, I am curious as to what Troy’s ceiling is this year.

Personally, I think he can be a top 4-5 Utah QB (at least in the last 30 years).

As a side note, I can’t help but wonder if the lack of TE involvement up until now is intentional. It will be interesting to see if that changes this week.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

The biggest glaring thing to me is that he needs to know when to get rid of it and take his losses. You can’t force it against the Pac-12 defense. Once he figures that out and cleans a few things up he will be very very good.

Kirk Herbstreet
        Ute Fan
        @mariolemute

So the natural follow up to this, would seem to be, how do coaches teach good decision making to QBs who are eager to compete and win?Isn’t that what has happened with the three bad INTs? Dude was trying to make a play?

How do you coach that instinct out, without it affecting all of the other great things he does?

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Well by that logic you could say that Travis Wilson was trying to make a play when he held on to the ball too long and took 20 yard sacks the time. Williams has great pocket instincts and these other issues I believe are coachable.

Kirk Herbstreet
        Ute Fan
        @mariolemute

Oh, I agree with that. I am just curious how a coach corrects the issue without turning him into a Travis Wilson, who is too scared to even make those throws.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

You remind him that he isn’t needed as much at this level. That he doesn’t have to carry the team. That he is surrounded by NFL talent and he needs to trust them and not force things.

If he can do that, he can be really, really good. Like BJ his SR year good. Maybe better.

He needs to trust his teammates and not try to do too much.

ChooseTheRed
          Ute Fan
          @choosethered

This might seem corny but I think it’s partially a matter of helping him see himself as a leader but not a hero, if that makes sense. The “trying to be a hero” mentality is more likely to give way to acts of desperation, whereas being a leader requires remaining more grounded. I know that may not be the concrete Xs and Os answer but it seems to be part of the solution in my mind.

Anonymous
      Inactive

He has had four interceptions and three were awful. The one against San Jose is particularly bad because he back peddling throwing off his back foot and sort of lofting it.

TW has a lot of upside but he needs to stop making poor decisions in the redzone. They almost seem like lazy decisions.

UteStuckInSeattle
      Ute Fan
      @utestuckinseattle

I think his potential is sky high.

The kid has an amazing work ethic and he seems to be very aware of his need to keep improving and shows a willingness to do what it takes to get better.

I think the best thing the coaches can do is keep showing confidence in him, giving him chances to make an impact on the game and be there to provide guidance when a mistake happens.

I have a feeling we’re going to see big improvements from Troy and the team this week because this game is a big deal to many of them.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

I think Troy thought he could make those throws, probably because he could against juco defenses. Those picks had to happen in order for Troy to learn. I think it’s that simple. I’m calling it growth.

Well, unless we see it again Friday.

RedLine
        Ute Fan
        @redline

Agree with let’s see on Friday. Those big mistakes were made in games not critical to the success of the PAC12 season. They also give the coaching staff a lot to work with. We’ll see if he comes out polished or still making the mistakes. Personally, I agree with the sentiment that his ceiling is very high.

Skyewww
      Ute Fan
      @skyewww

I personally liked Travis despite his downsides. He had the heart any athletics player should have, and had me hooked since that very first time he hurdled a defender and ran down the sideline. I digress.

Troy can scramble without needing to go for yardage and complete his progressions. He can throw bombs down the sideline. All the same, he has wheels too.

Whittingham has already proven to want to allow Troy to be pass happy. That’s a good sign. The Sky’s the limit with this TW. #NextTWUp

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football What is Troy Williams Ceiling?