Who can't a one loss Utah team displace in the playoffs?

Viewing 4 reply threads

UTE98
      Ute Fan
      @ute98

Okay, I’m opining on who they do displace but honestly I think we are sitting pretty.

Notre Dame, if they win out I think we’ve played a better schedule than they have. Are wins over Texas, UVA, UMass and Navy better than what we’ve done? Of course the Stanford game is pivotal. Do we suffer if we beat a two loss Stanford team in the PAC12 Championship? If we both beat them should we be punished if they lost the week before when it comes to a head to head with Notre Dame. Doesn’t an extra P5 game give us an edge?

Baylor. I think up to this point our schedule has been better than theirs. They have KSU, followed by three ranked teams, OK St, OK, and TCU. I think this takes care of itself. But would a one loss Baylor have a better resume? I don’t think so, and again, no championship game might cost the Bears.

TCU. If they lose one of the three against Baylor, OK St, or Oklahoma I think the lack of a championship game could again be the difference.

Oklahoma and Oklahoma St bracket us in the rankings, Ok St has not lost, but only is one spot ahead of us, a PAC12 Championship game pushes us ahead. OK they are behind us by one and the PAC12 championship would push us ahead.

Clemson, cannot lose to FSU or they fall behind us without the championship game. FSU can beat Clemson, then lose to Florida and I don’t think even if they beat a good UNC in the championship they’d have enough to pass us.

The winner of OSU and Michigan St likely is undefeated. However if OSU loses to Michigan but beats Michigan St, things might get a bit tricky. Penn State is hanging around and has Michigan and Michigan St to end the season, they could really put a monkey wrench in the Big 10 if somehow they end up in the Big 10 championship game.

Ohio State ends the year with Michigan and Michigan State. Keep an eye on these last two weeks of the Big10.

LSU and Alabama play this weekend. Loser is out of the playoff picture.

Iowa? Really? If Iowa wins out they’re probably in, with a win over the OSU/MSU/UM/PennSt division winner. The only loss I see for them is possibly in the Big10 Championship, they have a cake schedule and are leading their division by two games based on beating Wisconsin head to head. Nobody else in that division has a winning conference record.

Florida. If they win out they’re in. Lose to Florida St, and they are out.

So really if Utah wins out I think they have a 75% chance of making the playoffs. Lose in the Pac12 Championship and I think they get the Rose Bowl, heck of a runner up prize. USC is the only fly in the ointment at this time. We need USC to lose another game. But even if we lose one more and make the Pac12 Championship I think we get the Rose Bowl at the least.

TorontoUte
      Ute Fan
      @torontoute

I agree, I seriously doubt that Utah would be left out of the CFP if they win out… I’m much more worried about actually winning out than what would happen afterwards.

USC is the stinker, it would really help if they lost again… but who do they lose to? Oregon and UCLA seem to be the most logical prospects but I just don’t see it.

Looking at the remaining schedule UW is no slouch, the sharps have it as a pick ’em. Arizona, although just got walloped by UW, seems to have our number recently and it’s at their house. UCLA… I’m actually more confident in a win here than at UW, but could still be a loss. Colorado, my goodness, they have a crappy record but seem to play really tough against us every year. Plus they look better this year.

Basically from where I see it, it would be miracle-esq to win out from here in regular season. If the Utes have a 10 win season I’ll be ecstatic (they’ve already exceeded my expectations for this year).

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

There are so many unknown variables right now, its impossible to say for sure. Honestly im not thinking playoffs at all. I know we CAN be good enough to make it and be deserving of it, but this team needs to show me more before I believe that they actually are.

MBAute89
      Ute Fan
      @jtbuckner

I just feel like we’ve got one more loss coming. Our offense isn’t consistent enough to ease my worries.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Well, I’ve mentioned this in another thread already. I think we are capable of winning out, but we are also capable of losing 1-2 more. 2-3 weeks from now it will be interesting to see what the standings are.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Who can't a one loss Utah team displace in the playoffs?