1 free transfer for student athletes

Viewing 3 reply threads
      2 1

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Is this something that might actually happen? I heard on the radio today that the NCAA is considering it.

That would be bad news for Utah athletics. Every team would become like the Jazz where players go to develop and then get picked up by a bigger name.

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

Believe its for students that had their coach transfer or released. Not sure if that pertains to assistant coaches, head coaches, or both…

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

This would be a great rule and great for programs like Utah. Utah is a symbol of stability in a s**t storm of coaching changes. Pedo State could have really been punished. MSU would feel it. I love it. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

Make no mistake about it, this rule has the potential to absolutely cripple programs.

What would the Utah program have looked like after Urban left if this rule had been in effect back then? 

This might be a good rule for student athletes, but it is a bad rule for college sports.

2 1

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Urban would have been a laughing stock trying to take 2* kids from Utah to Florida… 

Atmost this affects the schools where coaches make a lateral move, p5 – p5, g5 – g5… Doubtful that this has potential to “absolutely cripple programs.”

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Agreed this will basically mean the rich get richer but I believe several programs can cash in. Look at the recruiting news lately. Utah just barely beat out by bigger programs etc. Imagine if those kids could leave without repurcussions if the school they chose goes under.

As far as program killers ASU deserves to die after that hiring decision. But look at fUCLA probably didn’t hurt them all that badly with a good hire. 

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Not even mentioning schollie implications say you take on this kid that leaves ASU?  Well a recruit in the pipeline may look elsewhere. 

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

I didn’t mean that Urban would have taken players with him(though there were a couple he did try to poach that likely would have gone with him if they didn’t have to sit a year). What I meant was that a lot of players who wanted to continue playing for Urban, and/or who didn’t necessarily like that Whit got the job, might have gone elsewhere when UM left.

Maybe I’ll be wrong and this will only affect a handful of players every time a coach leaves, but I would bet that we will see a mass exodus from at least one football program within 5 years of this rule going into effect. I’m talking 20+ underclassmen transferring. Depending on the program(s) it happens to, it will take years for them to recover from that kind of hit. 

Staples
              Ute Fan
              @staples

Given the much smaller roster it’s hard to make a straight across comparison, but it would probably look similar to what happened when Larry took over for Boylen.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

So what seriously? If Zona kids or Asu kids want to leave after collosal mistakes? Why shouldn’t they? Or Chip Kelly hired to the NFL etc.
              Bring more power back into the kids hands is my opinion. All of the Penn State kids or soon the MSU kids should be able to leave.

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

So if Whit were to get fired and half of our roster abandoned ship as a result, your response would be “So what?”

Utah football would suddenly be worse than Kansas football for a loooooong time if that were to happen. But, no big deal in your mind, do I have that right? 

Players already have a ton of power. They get to select which school they want to sign with. They can transfer anywhere they want with only a year penalty. They could leave school to join the service, peace corps, or do missionary work and transfer without any penalty at all. They can graduate early and transfer without penalty. That is more than enough power. Giving players the option to transfer out of spite and without penalty will be a huge mistake.

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

Coaches can jump ship for more money and leave programs in a bad spot from sanctions.  Just because it can happen to Utah doesn’t mean everyone else can’t have the same problems.  I don’t think it will be a DRASTIC amount of kids ever leaving.  Mostly the egomaniac kids and quite possibly a few taking advantage. 

I also believe Utah recruits well for kids that want to be in the program.  Just my opinion but the abuse of power by multimillion tax sucking schools needs to be checked a little. 

UteThunder
                    Ute Fan
                    @utethunder

But would those kids who “want to be in the program” still feel that way if Whit left?

Coaches leave programs for plenty of reasons. They get fired, they retire, they move on to a better job, they resign amid scandal. That should have no bearing on the athletes. They chose to attend and play a sport at that SCHOOL. If they made that decision without considering the coach might not be there for the five years they would be attending, then shame on the student-athlete for being so naive.

What abuse of power are you talking about? And how does allowing athletes to transfer willy-nilly put schools in check?  

I will say this: I’ve always felt that sanctions should follow a coach but if athletes were recruited by a cheating coach, it’s pretty safe to assume those same athletes were part of the cheating. Why should those athletes get to move on without penalty and thereby leave their school in an even worse spot?

EagleMountainUte
                      Ute Fan
                      @battlegroundute

How do you follow a coach?  Ban them? What about when the University president, AD and all of them are involved?

I think it should be reserved for fired and coaches that leave before their contract is up.  Not for retiring coaches or anything like that.  

UteThunder
                        Ute Fan
                        @utethunder

You follow a coach by giving their new school the same sanctions the school they left got. Obviously, if the coach leaves to be an analyst or go to the NFL you couldn’t do anything, but if they ever came back to college coaching then BAM! Hit their new school with those sanctions. How many schools would even give John Calipari the time of day if they new whatever violations he committed at his previous school would result in sanctions at any school that would hire him? This would basically end all cheating by coaches because cheating would in effect become a pseudo lifetime ban when schools refused to take on their pending sanctions.

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

That seems ridiculous to me. You worry about programs futures but don’t mind about others?  What if Utah hired a s**t bag?

UteThunder
                        Ute Fan
                        @utethunder

Two completely different situations. 

Situation one: Entitled athletes who are upset because the coach leaves for whatever reason so they throw a tantrum and transfer, thus leaving their old program in a tough spot.

vs.

Situation two: A coach who cheated at one program and then leaves to avoid dealing with the consequences of his actions gets hired by another program. Why shouldn’t the sanctions follow him?

If a program is willing to hire a cheater, they should have to deal with that cheater’s baggage. If Utah were to hire a cheater, then we deserve anything we get. This isn’t rocket science.

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

Programs make millions I don’t feel bad for them. Including the one I happen to enjoy cheering for. They should be made to be more responsible because they have a lot to lose. 

Athletes have less to lose in a sense but the reality is they take chances with far more than a bunch of corporate schills. They put their bodies and future on the line when they commit to some guy. Yes they can be naive about it and they can even be selfish. The kids are not corporations.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Other Ute Sports 1 free transfer for student athletes