1 loss to a Top-10 team, could be worse, like UCLA…

Viewing 4 reply threads

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

At 0-3, including home loss to Fresneck State, UCLAns are restless…
      Chip Kelley taking heat

sweetgrass
      Ute Fan
      @sweetgrass

I’m not sure they win a game this year, their schedule is more brutal than ours.

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Keep your silly “proper perspective” to yourself please 😉

Stone
      Ute Fan
      @stone

This is the thing with coaching changes, even hires considered to be home run hires can struggle. Sure, it may change and Chip may help UCLA reach new heights in a few years, but maybe not. Coaching changes can work out great, but there are risks associated with them. See also Nebraska, Arkansas, and Florida State this year. There are examples of great improvements immediately (see Urban Meyer at Utah), but it can be a crapshoot. Personally, I would keep Whit as long as he wants to stay. Could we get someone better, maybe, but maybe not. Even if Chip Kelly or Scott Frost were the replacement (and I doubt they would be), things may not improve for quite awhile (if ever) over Whit.

2 1

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

This is where I’m at. Kyle shouldn’t be fired. Taylor on the other hand . . . 

Stone
          Ute Fan
          @stone

I understand the sentiment on Taylor, but I am not convinced that he should go. A coach puts players in a position to succeed, it is then up to the players to do it. I think Taylor has done that.

I recognize that some think Taylor should (a) be calling easier plays or (b) is not adequately coaching the players to catch/throw/run, but I am not convinced that he is the problem. As to the first point, the plays are not that difficult, the opportunities are there for the taking. As to the second point, it is not that much to ask players to do throw or catch or run basic stuff. Covey was quoted regarding the drops, saying that these are things you learn in kindergarten. It is like blaming the coaches for not teaching the players how to tie their shoes. I do not know what the fix is, but I think the coaches, including Taylor, are putting the players in a position to succeed, but for whatever reason (perhaps mental), the players are not executing. And it is not just one player. It is a comedy of errors, someone different each time.

I did find it interesting to hear the ESPN announcer’s (Brian Griese) commentary in the last 2 minutes of the game. Something about how Covey needs to tell Huntley tomorrow to stop throwing him into defenders. Griese was pretty frank about how Huntley was not reading the defense, was not recognizing coverages, was holding the ball too long, and was throwing to spots where the receivers were getting destroyed. Griese did say that Taylor shared the blame (essentially for not coaching Huntley to do otherwise). So in Griese’s opinion, a primary issue is QB play. Not being in the meetings, Griese and we have no idea whether Taylor is instructing Huntely properly and Huntley just is not “getting it” or whether Taylor is just not providing adequate instruction. My hunch, considering Taylor played QB in college, the NFL, and has run a highly prestigious QB camp, is that Taylor likely is a adequate instructor.

Grayshirt
            Ute Fan
            @grayshirt

I’m with you here.  So, when does Shelly get his chance?  Q3 of the WSU game?

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

I take everything that ESPN says and run it through a bulls**t filter. That broadcast was clearly a placating of Washington and Peterson over the current feud.  Covey also cuts inside a lot Scott Mitchell pointed that out in post game. Covey didn’t back down and good on in him. In my profession though taking needless risks doesn’t make you less tough. Covey has to be smart about his contact just like Huntley. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I said Chip would win 2 this year. He might win four next season. 

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 1 loss to a Top-10 team, could be worse, like UCLA…