2 players have entered the portal today

Viewing 5 reply threads
      2 1

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

Kellier and Thioune. Larry needs a raise.

4 1

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

There will be more.

Sounds like Larry held his end of year player interviews today and a few players were told their scholarships won’t be renewed.

I fully expect Brenchley to leave

Plus the possibility of a few more

Kellier is no real loss. Lahat never developed
      Brenchley got passed over by better talent.
      These are end of Bench guys that Larry will replace with more end of bench guys that have no business being on a Pac12 basketball roster.

The real question is why were they ever recruited by Larry?

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

I’m not concerned about end of bench guys. And be honest, what program doesn’t have end of bench guys. If Allen Plummer Martinez or another contributor leaves let’s worry about that. 

Ute2
          Ute Fan
          @ute2

I agree! I’m only stressing notable transfers…

Lahat and Keillor don’t have great prospects moving forward.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Questions with more questions. You have two children of coaches on that “filled out” bench. More questions not many solutions.

2 4

Anonymous
      Inactive

More will be asked to leave, this team had several games where they showed very little manhood. 

I know a lot of folks won’t be happy with another rebuild but it’s gotta be done and we will be better for it in the long run. 

4 5

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

No problem so long as that rebuild includes the coaching staff.

3 8

Anonymous
          Inactive

I guarantee it’s easier to replace some underachieving players and assistant coaches than replace Larry. 

I have not seen one single rational suggestion for a head coach who would come here that has a better resumé than Larry. 

6 2

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

Larry’s resume doesn’t mean a whole lot when it comes to winning games and developing a team that improves year upon year through player retention and development.

I would take an up and comer with less experience but lots of upside over what we have now.

4 9

Anonymous
              Inactive

You probably thought Ray Giacoletti and Jim Boylen were great hires. 

6 4

UteThunder
                Ute Fan
                @utethunder

Giac seemed good at the time, coming from a successful Gonzaga program. Boylen was obviously bad from the get go. Funny thing is, LK is objectively just as bad as both of them and here you are defending him.

UteBacker
            Ute Fan
            @utebacker

Our program has stagnated into the third best program in Utah. That’s all the rationale I need.

2 1

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

The most telling part of the BB decline is the UoU administration and local UofU sports media accept this as the norm. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

To me it is a bit understandable.  Larry probably feels he needs to fight to keep his job, I am sure he can read tea leaves.  The next recruting cycle is probably not soon enough.  If that is the case, he would encourage someone to review their options, someone at the bottom of the rotation or someone not developing in a position of weakness.  Kellier is burried off the 2 deep roster and that will be worse with the newcomers for next year.  Lhioune has not made it to the level needed in the Pac in 2 years.  It is likely in their interest as well as Utah’s that they find a better  suited option.  The very big question will be can replacements be found on the portal or from international sources for next year.  Actually, can a big man that can play be added to the team, the second spot could go to the next recruitning cycle.  The Y added a big man last year that worked out so I believe it can be done. 

Rick
      Ute Fan
      @rickyrules

Best of luck to both of them.  I hope their basketball dreams come true for them where ever they may land.

Just for fun I looked up how Both Gach did this season at Minnesota vs. his time at Utah.  In summary:

Played 34% more minutes per game at Utah than he did at Minn. 

Scored 57% more points per game at Utah than he did at Minn.

Had 53% more assists per game at Utah than he did at Minn.

He improved his rebounding at Minn but had more assists, blocks and steals at Utah.

He is still about a 40% FG shooter and a sub 30% 3 pt shooter which means he has no shot at the NBA regardless of where he plays.  

Just thought it was interesting to compare since Minnesota has a young, highly admired coach in Pitino Jr. and we have the “washed up hack” Larry K.  It just shows that the actual players have more to do with things than the genius of the coach.  Just think about Majerus and his best seasons at Utah.  He played three NBA starters (Van Horn, Miller and Doleac) in his lineups.  Did he consistently recruit that top level of talent every year?  Nope.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) 2 players have entered the portal today