Viewing 5 reply threads

UtahManPodcast
      Ute Fan
      @utahmanpodcast

Link to for the camp depth chart

Chidojuan
      Ute Fan
      @chidojuan

Repp as the starter. I know that it’s just fall camp, but he must have improved this year, way cool.

RiseasUtes
        Ute Fan
        @riseasutes

A little surprised by that as well.  I’ve heard a lot of good things about Mika Tafua so I wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up taking the job.  Either way though we have Anae, Repp, Tafua, Tupai, Hart, Heninger, Jordan, and Pirtle(he could play LB not DE).

Another surprise is Lloyd on the 2 deep behind Chase at LB as a Freshman.  Our safety depth worries me the most, although Chase could go back if needed.

Chidojuan
          Ute Fan
          @chidojuan

I think either Athlon sports or UteZone had an article that talked about R.J. Hubert. Apparently the coaches are pretty excited about him. He’s just a freshman, but they expect big things from him at safety, so he’s a possible 3 deep at safety, hopefully not needed though.

RiseasUtes
            Ute Fan
            @riseasutes

Yeah, he is a good little athlete.  Played both ways in high school for Moapa.  I don’t love the idea of playing too many freshman, but it’s nice to have a few guys coming up.  I also forgot about Fabrizio.  Big, physical safety, but also just a freshman.  Malone Mataele is a true freshman and should be really good, but he needs some time to develop.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

This is a ploy to light a fire under Mika. Mika will start. Bradlee Anae and Maxs Tupai will be on one end and Mika, Repp and Heninger on the other. 

I’d probably put the depth chart on the Mika side come game 1 as follows:

1st and 2nd down: Mika then Heninger. 

3rd down: Mika then Repp. 

2 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

daaaaaaaayum

Look at the two deep for our DBs… That is easily the best we’ve ever been back there IMO. I wouldn’t be shocked to see any of our current starters end up as pro bowlers in the NFL at some point. 

Honestly, if you took any receiving group from an NFL team… and put their college selves up against our DBs, I think we would do just fine.

On another note… something about Cody Barton being the starter still bugs me a little. He played good a few games toward the end of the season, but he looks slower than almot anyone else on the field when he plays.

kazute
      Ute Fan
      @kazute

Surprised to see Bapa Falemaka is not on the two-deep at tight end.  Seems he played a bunch in spring ball.  Connor Haller is listed as the 2 and a Sophomore as well.  Just don’t remember seeing him as much.

Johnny Capra at 6-6 seems like a really tall guard.

I noticed that Chayden Johnston is the back-up punter.  Can he continue the Ray Guy tradition when Mitch graduates?

I was wondering how Josh Nurse was developing in his switch from receiver. Now see him as the number 2 behind Blackmon.

Do we have a dedicated scholarship long-snapper again?  I think that has proven as a necessity rather than a luxury.

Have they tried Javelin Guidry at kickoff returner?  Seems with his speed he could be a good one.

Love what I see here.  Also doesn’t inlclude others beyond the two-deep that I think will be contributors (like DHC and Green).  Not to mention hopefuls and newcomers (Vickers, Bernard, Pirtle, Enis).  I am excited to see what they can do.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Hey who is the athletic freak from Australia?

Chidojuan
        Ute Fan
        @chidojuan

Thomas Yassmin.

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

He’s fixin to be a TE right?

Chidojuan
            Ute Fan
            @chidojuan

Yup, his rugby highlights look good.  Excited to see where it leads.

alharmon
      @alharmon

Oh man what a good lookin team!! Can’t wait for football. Defense looks freakin INCREDIBLE. Excited to see how the offense improves under a second year of Troy Taylor. I absolutely cannot wait to see Armand Shyne though. He was playing like a beast until he got hurt in 2016, and then injured again in 2017. Would love to see him play well, a backfield of him and Moss would be fantastic. 

Matthew Thomas Castleton
        Ute Fan
        @mcastleton928

Not to mention Britain Covey being back from his mission. In 2015, he was arguarbly Utah’s best offensive player as a true freshman (sans Devontae Booker). The offense looks really talented and the defense looks downright scary. Not to mention that Utah will have the best special teams unit in College Football by far. How many teams in history have had a Lou Groza AND Ray Guy winner on their team AT THE SAME TIME with BOTH of them being seniors coupled with a dynamic punt returner in Britain Covey? With USC losing a lot from last season and breaking in a true freshman/red-shirt freshman quarterback, I think Utah is the team to beat in the Pac-12 South. Especially since we get them, Washington (a gigantic game), Arizona (the third best team in the division) AND Oregon at home. If there was ever a year for Utah to win the Pac-12 South and possibly the league outright, it’s this year. The talent and opportunity is there. They just need to come through. Go Utes!!!

Onlyu
      Ute Fan
      @uf8fl

Cody is one of the team leaders and is fearless and extremely physical.  I expect he will have a very good year.  Most of his mistakes are the result of his over-aggressiveness which is not something you try to coach out of a linebacker.  IF/When Bernard gets in you have your bruiser in the middle with NFL size and speed and your speed guys in Barton and Hansen helping on the edge and with back out, RPO and TE.  Zero mismatches there with the way they run and the size to match up with.  We have 4 very good backers with different skill sets but all experienced so we can match up however you want!!  

More depth than ever before (Mata’afa, Lloyd and eventually Lund waiting in the wings) and also a body in Bernard that can handle the everyday bruising.  If this works as plannned you have Chase and Cody running free causing havoc without much other responsibility because our DB’s are so good and Bernard and Donovan plugging the middle behind Tonga, Penisini, Fotu, etc.  Best of both worlds and it puts Cody in the situations you want him in.  Bernard makes us real!!  If Mika or someone else steps up opposite Anae this defense is scary good.

Many other changes coming on the depth chart I’d imagine.  Gonna be a fun camp.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2018 Camp Depth Chart