2022 Satisfaction Level

Viewing 3 reply threads

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

Background: On May 18, 2022 the NCAA eliminated their stipulation that Conferences with 12 or more teams be split into divisions to determine their respective Conference Champion. Two days later, the Pac-12 eliminated divisions and adjusted their rules to allow the top two teams by record (and new tie-breakers if necessary) to compete in the CCG.

Premise: The new rule is not available for the 2022 season. (NCAA does not pass, not allowed to implement until 2023, Pac-12 decides to wait until the schedule is not based on divisions.,, pick your own reason).

Question: If the 2022 regular season plays out exactly as it did, what is your satisfaction level with a 9-3 Utah team playing in the #5 or #6 bowl slot?

USC (8-1) South Champ: Plays UW in CCG. In playoff with win, probably still get Cotton Bowl with loss.
      UW (7-2) North Champ: Plays USC in CCG. Probably gets Rose Bowl with win or loss.
      Oregon (7-2): Alamo Bowl against Texas.
      UCLA (6-3): By rule Holiday Bowl can pick Utah, UCLA or Oregon State. UCLA against North Carolina.

I am following head-to-head for the slotting but there is also a history of Utah being passed over for higher profile schools so I don’t think the above is a stretch. That would then leave the Las Vegas Bowl (Dec. 17) to choose between Utah (7-2) and Oregon State (6-3) with the other going to the Sun Bowl (Dec. 30). No idea if Las Vegas would want a rematch of Utah/Florida.

8 1

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

That simple rule change ended up benefitting Utah greatly in terms of bowl income, prestige, potentially recruiting. As Utah fans, we are feeling pretty good about ourselves right now. But if I’m being honest, if we were operating under the old rule, I would probably be as mad as I was in 2015 when a really good but not great Utah got relegated to a “bad” bowl because they didn’t take care of business late in the year.

CincyUte
        Ute Fan
        @cincyute

I think you’re exactly right. Except there is no way the Holiday Bowl would take UCLA after the Bruins decided last minute not to show up last year. That’s probably where we would have landed.

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

Tough to say.  Logically, I think you’re right but money talks and LA market is hard to pass on even though Utah travels well and UCLA screwed them over last year.  

Staples
        Ute Fan
        @staples

This is an excellent point. Probably not much excitement for the bowl and a whole lot of looking back at what might have been. On a grading scale, I’m giving this season an A- currently (and if we win the Rose Bowl that probably becomes a solid A). If your scenario had played out, it’s probably a B/B- grade.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Without the rule change, USC would be #4 going into the CCG. If they beat Washington in the CCG they would go to the playoffs and Utah would go to the Rose Bowl due to the #11 ranking in the CFP (Washington was #12). If USC loses the CCG Washington would go to the Rose and it would be likely USC would go next but not a given. Oregon and UCLA are down the line in CFP ranking. My guess is without the change Utah would be in the Rose without the momentum of wining the CCG. USC was hurt by the change, they would have beat Washington.

voxnihili
        Ute Fan
        @voxnihili

You are probably right but the Rose Bowl does not have to take the highest-ranked team if it is a non-champion pick. If USC beats Washington, Ohio State is a likely pick and the bowl may have wanted a different pick from the PAC12 either way. Who knows?

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

If we are just alterning variables in realistic ways that the domino’s could fall I will take a turn.

Game one, a review is called for on Cameron Risings 3rd and goal run in the middle of the 3rd quarter and is ruled a Touchdown.  Utah goes on to defeat Florida and is 1-0 on the year.

Game eleven, Clark Phillips III escapes the hand that clipped his ankle and returns his interception to the end zone for a pick six and Utah defeats Oregon and goes 10-1 on  the season and is ranked #6 in the CFP heading into the final week of the regular season.

I am very satisfied with my new reality that is not based in what actually happened.  Who am I kidding, I am never satisfied. haha

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 2022 Satisfaction Level