22 Forever thoughts

Viewing 10 reply threads
      12 13

fosternano
      Ute Fan
      @fosternano

Maybe I’m the minority here, but my thoughts on 22 forever….

I feel like Utah has honored them, and it’s time to move on. I really don’t want this to become like an AZ bear down slogan. At this point Utah will redesign the drum and feather to being a 22.

It’s sad what happened, but good to move on.

belli1976
      Ute Fan
      @belli1976

I understand your thoughts but I think it is too soon. At least wait until after all the kids that played with the 22s are off the team.

The Miami Ute
        Ute Fan
        @themiamiute

Yeah, I concur…it’ll eventually wind down naturally over the next couple of years.

fosternano
          Ute Fan
          @fosternano

Honestly I don’t think it’ll wind down. It’ll become a thing where Utah is better known for shouting 22 Forever, over Go Utes.

Similar to how AZ fans tend to say beardown way more than go cats.

I’m not saying that families move on, but the athletics to do so.

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

If the families want them to do it, the players are happy, and the coaches are happy then it absolutely should keep going. I don’t think anyone else’s opinion matters (including my own of course). If this is how the people that knew them best choose to honor them, so be it. 

For me it will always be a reminder of what truly matters. It’s not about the results on the field, it’s about the growth of people. At this point, I’ve seen far too much violence (and ignored bad behavior) for me to enjoy sports (and football specifically) if you take away the personal and community growth aspect of sports.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

It’s time to move on from FOREVER?

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I wouldn’t mind them continuing to honor them until their senior year and then have them “walk” with the seniors. After that then maybe stop.

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

I still haven’t moved on from Gaius Vaenuku

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

I do rather like the moment of loudness (where we can honor all former players, coaches, staff, fans, etc. who are no longer with us.)

Lost an uncle who was a Ute graduate and long time fan last year and was proud to loudly honor him and others at the next game and will very likely lose some even closer family members in the next few years (what a drag it is getting old) and would like to do the same for them.

UtesRule
      Ute Fan
      @utesrule

I will never understand why anyone thinks they should be able to tell someone (in this case the team) who’s not only lost one loved one (again, in this case teammates) but two beloved teammates that “it’s time to move on!”

They will when it’s time for them and I for one will support them for as long as they need the time to remember.

CityCreekUte
      Ute Fan
      @citycreekute

I don’t see why it would ever go away. I do think it will evolve to a more generic meaning and less about the exact individuals. At some point there won’t be a close connection to Jordan/Lowe but there will always be connections to the program that have been lost and honoring them is a noble tradition and at least while Whitt is around fits the culture that they promote.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

From what was released today, everything I read was about the spring game being renamed to 22 Forever Game, and from here out, all proceeds from the spring have will go to the 22 Forever Memorial scholarship like it had been the last 1 or 2 seasons.

Makes sense to me

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

I don’t think it’s our place as fans to tell the coaches and team and families (who actually lost two people close to them, unlike fans who only lost two people who could help us get some football wins) when they should be “over it.”

2008 National Champ
      Ute Fan
      @cptmrgn05

I understand that people can get fatigued when hearing from the same voice or the same phrase repeatedly. For me, I don’t need to ever hear how Cam Rising is the Alpha again, and I got tired of 7 years of Britain Covey being the go-to for everything Utah. It didn’t lessen my enjoyment of watching those two kids and appreciate everything they gave to the program but it can become easy to tune out.

I hope that is what you are referring to. Sure “22 Forever” is going to get weary as a catch phrase and eventually have as little meaning as “Bear Down” or “We Are… Marshall” does to the average listener. At the same time, it appears as though the school is using it to honor all of our lost Utes as well as the proceeds going to very good causes. So I support what the school is doing – especially for the people who knew Ty/Aaron – even as I know that hearing “22 Forever” will eventually be like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

PrudentUte
        Ute Fan
        @davidclarkepruden

Or the 1984 BYU Forever Champions conversation on cougarboard. 

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 22 Forever thoughts