4th and 1 Throw Breakdown

Viewing 6 reply threads

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

I have no extra film time on this play other than the replay on TV. I very well could be missing something, but this is my take. 

If Moss is dinged up, we don’t have confidence in the backups or oline, and we’ve already gone to covey every play, I don’t mind this call. It worked, so I’m ok with it. It was a TD in the making. 

What I question:

Personnel

Next level execution and awareness

Was a true freshman the right guy to throw it to in arguably the biggest moment of the game? Why wasnt Jake Jackson the target? If all else is equal between TE’s, the to the guy with the most experience. Maybe fotheringham was the right guy at the time, only the coaches know that. 

As for Huntley, he had to be better in execution and awareness. It’s a 4th and 1 and your about to throw to a true freshman. Give him a chance to catch the ball and make a play – don’t rifle it to him. 

We are executing at a basic level and getting basic results. I’m not convinced we are doing everything in our power to succeed. Jake Browning, an average to above average qb makes that play. 

If some things are below average due to personell (young and inexperienced tight ends) then you have to be better than average elsewhere to give yourself a chance to succeed (Huntley’s throw). 

I think this is what is separating us from top tier teams – lack of awareness and maximization (planning for, or doing our best in all moments). We need to control the controllables better and stack the odds in our favor to minimize risk and maximize success. That should have been a touchdown. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Jake Jackson had two drops prior to that play right??

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

I don’t remember those specifically, but he definitely could have. Then maybe fotheringham is the right guy for the play. That’s fine if that’s the best you have to work with. 

What I’m not ok with was the pass. 

You now know your second best TE is your best option. You have to do other things better than average to give him the best chance to score – meaning, a good pass. 

I understand the issue and the heat off the moment wholeheartedly. All I’m saying is that most other teams succeed on that play. Maybe even make it look easy. We just can’t seem to execute. 

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

I don’t like Jake Jackson. He is awful. 

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

This was an excellent call which if executed properly would have resulted in a TD.  Can’t blame the playcalling on this one. 

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

The sailed pass before that was also excellent. 

Tony (admin)
          Admin/Founder
          @admin

No it was not. (EDIT)… oh do you mean the call? Yes. The execution on that one was very bad. My angle on that one was right down the line.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

The call was perfect streaking wide-open player Huntley throws it way too fast and five feet over his head. 

mfaulk80
              Ute Fan
              @mfaulk80

And that’s my issue with the 4th down play.  Huntley and the receivers were clearly not in sync, and Moss was still running great even with the injury.  The oline had a better night too.  IMO the pass was the riskier play, and we really should’ve run it given our play up to that point.

FtheY
                Ute Fan
                @fthey

Also agree with this 100%. We are making the assumption that Moss was too dinged up for that play, however. 

If Moss is serviceable, I agree, we are adding unnecessary risk. 

EagleMountainUte
                Ute Fan
                @battlegroundute

Clearly not in sync? Idk about sailed passes being out of sync. Huntley had serious accuracy issues. It was almost like the SUU game last season for his passing is what it reminded me of. 

mfaulk80
                  Ute Fan
                  @mfaulk80

‘Out of sync’ was a blanket statement to cover all of the passing game issues…

UteThunder
                  Ute Fan
                  @utethunder

We didn’t play SUU last year.

EagleMountainUte
                    Ute Fan
                    @battlegroundute

North Dakota that was the one. Also BYU he sailed quite a few to Nacua. He has regressed thinking back to when we would say he needs to learn to bring his passes down.

Edit: Williams sailed them to Nacua in 2015. Good hell this “throw” game has been bad for so long. I remember talking in chat about Huntley early in the season about his passes going high to other receivers. Carrington and Covey are making Huntley look better than he really is.

UteThunder
                      Ute Fan
                      @utethunder

Nacua wasn’t on the team in 2015.

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

BYUs Kai Nacua in 2016 I meant. Man I should just go back to bed. 

UteThunder
                        Ute Fan
                        @utethunder

That makes more sense.

EagleMountainUte
                        Ute Fan
                        @battlegroundute

Not much more 2015 Williams wasn’t even on the team either. Surprised you didn’t catch that to. 

FtheY
              Ute Fan
              @fthey

Agreed 100%. The play call was great.

Again, you have another true freshman out there in Kuithe. You need to make sure the throw is better than average to give the guy a chance. Huntley sailed him and it wasn’t even close. 

The throw looked so bad it seemed like he tried to screw up that play. Not saying he did, that’s just how awful it looked. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Agreed 100%. Gotta execute. 

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

Should have run a quarterback sneak. Only needed 2 feet for the first down. Line wasn’t stacked. 

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Yes, that was actually my thought at the time…

FtheY
      Ute Fan
      @fthey

Assuming the play call was good:

Huntley throw and fotheringham catch

Below average and below average (due to inexperience) 

And we expect better than average results? 

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

Any play call that shows a TD is the perfect play call.  Should have been caught and we are in the game.  As terrible as we played we were in it. 

FtheY
        Ute Fan
        @fthey

Agreed. Two different TD play calls right there. 

My question is this: if they play calls are good, are we doing everything else to the best of our ability to stack the odds in our favor to score? Jury is still out on that one. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

That fourth and one should never have happened. Our offense shouldn’t have been on the field. Moss had an inside hole for a TD. Second was open. Felt we got spotted short but my angle for that play was trash.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football 4th and 1 Throw Breakdown