4th Seed in play

Viewing 2 reply threads

TheOCUte
      Ute Fan
      @theocute

Conference road win, now take care of home court…

Team looked like it had more cohesion tonight, wonder if Daniels suspension sent a message or if the problem was removed…interested in the news to come.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

Yep. Looked like it. All Utah needs to do now is win their last two home games and have Cal lose to either Oregon State (less likely) or @ Colorado (more likely) and the #4 seed is ours. Another thing that helped the Utes tonight was USC losing @ Arizona. If both Utah and USC win out, Utah will finish ahead of them because we own the tie-breaker.

EUte
        Ute Fan
        @eute

How does the tiebreaker work if Utah and Cal split the head-to-heads and finish with the same record, tied for fourth?

sweetgrass
          Ute Fan
          @sweetgrass

cal wins because of wins against higher seed

Minnesota Ute
            Ute Fan
            @minnesotaute

So you are saying we don’t own the head to head?  I was wondering about that, because at this point we can only split, so it would be wins agains the higher placed teams, and the best team we’ll have beat is USC.  But that is also the best team they’ve beat and we each only beat them once.  Then it drops to Stanford, and we both split with them if we hold at home.  Then Colorado who we beat twice, so to me, we need to be big buff fans.  Because if we beat Cal next week, but they win at Colorado, they will be 2-0 vs our 1-0 with Colorado ending our chances, but if they win, we would be 11-7 and they would be 10-8.  But OMG USC has a cake walk of a home stretch, playing 3 of the bottom 4 in conference, so they are almost guaranteed 11-7 but we do own the tie break with them.  Am I even close to the mark?

Matthew Thomas Castleton
              Ute Fan
              @mcastleton928

We BOTH would be 2-0 vs. Colorado. Do you not remember Utah beating Colorado in our first conference game on New Year’s Day? Cal would still win the tie breaker though because of our loss to Oregon State.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
            Ute Fan
            @mcastleton928

Cal would win the tie breaker because they’d have swept Oregon State and we would have only split with them. It would be the ONLY difference in our records. We both got swept by Arizona (0-2/0-1). We both were swept by Oregon (both 0-2). We both were swept by UCLA (0-1). We both swept USC (1-0). We both would have swept Colorado (2-0). We both would have split with Stanford (1-1). We both swept Arizona State (2-0/1-0). We both swept Washington State (2-0/1-0). We both swept Washington (2-0/1-0). The only difference would be the fact that Cal swept Oregon State (if they win tonight at home), while we only split against the Beavers. That slight difference would then give Cal the tie breaker.

Matthew Thomas Castleton
      Ute Fan
      @mcastleton928

Well, Cal beat Oregon State by 30 points, so, our only chance now is to sweep this coming week and for Cal to also lose to Colorado.

Minnesota Ute
        Ute Fan
        @minnesotaute

Ah ha, yup. Knew I was missing something. Just when I thought I couldn’t feel any worse about loss to BottomFeeder State. 

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.