A crappy report but its pretty much all you're going to get anyway.

Viewing 2 reply threads

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

Tough to watch practice today in the cold rain. I was bundled up in rain gear and couldn’t access my roster so it was hard to focus when you don’t know who anyone is other than upper classmen who kept their same number.

Whoever was kicking field goals at the beginning looked pretty good. Had to have been Christian Antezana (whoever the hell he is). I know it was not Hayes Hicken, it was some short guy wearing a 30s number, Antezana fits the description based on the roster. 5-9 #38. I think he hit them all with the longest being about 38-39 yards and a few shorter ones. Nothing was attempted beyond 38-39. What struck me was his power. He kicked hard and accurately. The ball was just coming off its apex as it went through the top of the uprights. Very impressive, especially in a downpour.

Boobie dropped a punt, nothing new here, same ole Boobie.

Got to put eyes on Corrion Ballard. He passes the eye ball test with flying colors.

Siosi Wilson looked good today, I recall seeing him make a lot of catches.

Offense was uptempo, very little running. I notice Henry-Cole had a few runs, maybe one or two decent ones for 10-15 yards. The only others I saw were Jordan Howard and Sateki Finau. Not much to say about this group. Didn’t watch the oline at all. Without a roster its just a mish-mash of numbers. With the way Williams and Huntley had to scramble around I’d give a slight edge to the dline, there were a few sacks too.

I liked the energy of the practice. They were challenged by the weather, but I would not say bothered by it. Defense especially. High energy and vocal on the sideline. Offense was too, but defense more.

I’m coming into this season with the impression that Williams will be replaced by Huntley and some point in the season, probably early, like the beginning of October. I don’t feel that way anymore. Williams acted like this was his team. He was running smack at the defensive sideline on more than a few occasions. He moves great, he’s showing speed and cutting ability. (No leg brace) I think he played well and made Huntley look like a legitimate second string. They both had equal snaps. Huntly did not play poorly, but to take the position from the incumbent you’ve got to be head and shoulders better, and he wasn’t.

Cooper Bateman pretty much got the scrub time at the end of practice. Maybe 10 reps. He threw well, he’s a damn sight better than the typical schlub who usually closes out the scrimmage against the 3s and 4s. CB has a tough row to hoe.

What little I saw today tells me this is Troy Williams team, period.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Thanks very much for the detailed report. 

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

I forgot to mention that there were a lot of QB runs. What reminded me was reading through Troy Taylor’s comments on UtahUtes.com

On being one-third of the way through spring camp
      “We’re progressing and getting better. I’m pleased with the way we’re competing and learning the new system. We installed a couple of things, but not too much today. It was more executing and trying to get better at what we’ve put in. A little quarterback run game. We’ll just continue to put in our whole offense. We’re about 25 percent there, and we have a lot more install to go.”

Spring Practice inside Rice-Eccles Stadium

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A crappy report but its pretty much all you're going to get anyway.