A few observations on the WSU game

Viewing 2 reply threads

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

I know some of you aren’t ready to discuss football at this point, and I respect that.  However, we will continue to play in spite of the tragedy early Sunday morning.

My grades for the entire game:

Defense – B+  I know that we held them to 13 points and 7 of those came on a short field.  I realize that many of you would give them a higher grade.  My halftime grade was a C-.  They did play much better in the second half.  They probably deserve an A for the second half.  The biggest issue that I had with the defense was that we let them control the ball.  Our first three-and-out came with 10 minutes left in the game.  WSU did what Whitt loves to do – they kept the ball out of our hands.  This hurt our offense.  Yes, we had 8 sacks and 3 picks and that is fantastic.  I believe all 8 sacks were done when blitzing.  Our front 4 did not put much pressure on their QB without help.

Offense – C  Again we played much better in the second half.  However, 7 fumbles is unacceptable.  Our run game was better than our throw game.  I am not smart enough to know why our throw game is not working well, but it isn’t.  I do think the Oline played better than they had, but this may have had something to do with the team we were playing.

Special Teams – B-  Our kicking game has totally fallen apart.  Covey remains a threat.  We just need the D to create some three-and-outs to get Covey in a position where he can make good punt returns.

I am not going to throw any player or coach under the bus.  This is not the time for that.  But this is how I saw the game Saturday afternoon.

6 1

GreatNorthernUte
      Ute Fan
      @greatnorthernute

“Our run game was better than our throw game.  I am not smart enough to know why our throw game is not working well, but it isn’t.”

Whit, is that you???

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

Defense played well enough with injuries. End of the game time of possession didn’t matter. With the turnover problem on the offense Scalley had it dialed in. Timely pressures and blitzes. Scalley is probably working with one of the youngest dlines ever in his career. Covid season causing that shortened game experience. 

Offense Rising is missing guys plain and simple. He likes to target the tight ends. On a throw to Kuithe in the endzone he had Covey underneath for a potential first down or touchdown. I think it is timing but film is going to help him slow down to hopefully see the play develop. 

2008 National Champ
        Ute Fan
        @cptmrgn05

Youngest DLine in his career? Tafua: 4th year Junior, 3 year starter (class of 2018). Hua Pututau: senior (2014). Moala: senior (2016). Kaufusi: Junior (2015).

noneyadb
          Ute Fan
          @noneyadb

Moala- injured out for season.

Pututau- very limited playing time/experience.

Kaufusi- new to team and position.

Tafua is the only one with experience consistent with Dlines of years past. So yes it’s a young and inexperienced Dline.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A few observations on the WSU game