A few thoughts on the upcoming “in-state game”

Viewing 6 reply threads

UteFanatic
      Ute Fan
      @utefanatic

The secondary looked a little bit lost last night, I don’t know if that’s because they were just playing more of a base zone or what, but I am a bit concerned. I hate to admit it, but if BYU has a strength this year, it’s their WR core. We know Samson is talented when healthy, he made a lot of big plays for Utah. And they have Puka, who is obviously a stud, but has been battling injuries his whole CFB career.  They round out their core with a group of guys that can give us problems if their QB can get them the ball.

That brings me to Jaren Hall. He is actually a decent QB, I’ve been guilty of making fun of him for losing to USF, but his numbers were actually fairly good in the games he’s played in. His problem is he likes to run and has had numerous concussions. 

I worry that if they can muster some decent pass protection, their WR core is going give us problems.

Your thoughts?

tanute3
      Ute Fan
      @tanute3

I’ll echo OnlyU’s sentiments about the Nickel position. Whoever is there will need to step it up against TDS to help contain their WR/TE groups.

Looking forward to Lloyd to welcoming Jaren Hall into a real game of football.

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

That’s right, I kind of forgot about their TEs. Those guys are pretty good as well.

Yeah, our guys need to pressure the hell out of Hall.

ALUF
      Ute Fan
      @dbgii77

I’m nervous now but I think we see 10

ProudUte
      Ute Fan
      @proudute

We cannot play poorly and expect to beat our instate rival from Provo.  They have some good talent on both sides of the ball.  Should we win?  Sure, but we cannot and will not take the game lightly.

I suspect one major difference you will see next Saturday in our defense is that we will blitz more with more complicated schemes.  I think we need to stop the running game first.  We need to make Allgeier impotent.  Hall is a talented QB, but he should have some pressure which will make it difficult.  Their biggest weakness on offense IMO is their Oline (not bad) and their coordinator (not good).  They have very good WRs, Tight Ends, and RBs.

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

How many years in a row with a pick six?

UteFanatic
        Ute Fan
        @utefanatic

Oh, we’re going to get a pick six. That’s a given.

4 3

BJA 13
      Ute Fan
      @bja13

This will be one of the better TDS teams we have faced in the past decade IMO.  However, this is also one of the better teams Utah has fielded in that same time frame.  

I do think Jaren Hall is a good QB and should be fairly poised.  He’s also had time in their program, understands the rivalry and what it means to the fans etc. Here are some of his 2019 highlights:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w_Ww65RKc0

I agree about their receiving group.  They have multiple targets, unlike in years past, when it was 1 or maybe 2 real threats at the receiver/TE position.   

They are better on the offensive line than they have been in quite some time as well, with a couple of good RB’s.  

Utah can’t be sloppy IMO and just expect to win this one.  They’ll need to play a clean game, not have any huge defensive breakdowns and take care of the ball.   

I think this will actually end up being a high(er) scoring game than usual.   

Anfernee
        Ute Fan
        @anfernee

😂😂😂😂😂😂

D T
        Ute Fan
        @azute1

How are they better along the OL after losing 3 starters? Those replacements got experience last year, sure, but it came against Texas State & Western Kentucky….They’re totally unproven against P5 competition….And they lost Grimes/Mateos….Our Front-7 will absolutely eat them alive.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

The myopic nature of Poo Poo sometimes infects the best of us.
          Utah has more talent. Utah has far better coaching staff. Utah has way more experience. Coming from a bigtime Rising homer Utah has Brewer.

#10iscoming
          Mobile Ute Hub user submitted image

BJA 13
          Ute Fan
          @bja13

I totally agree that their O Line is taking a step back from last year. 

However, because we didn’t play them last year, what i should have said was:

Their O line will be one of the  better O lines they’ve had In a while. 

Detmer/Doman/Bronco didn’t recruit the O line as well as Grimes.  He made their Oline better than it was prior to his stint there.  

And they have 2 P5 receivers on the roster with the Nacuas, and their TE is solid as well.   RB is also good. 

If Jaren Hall has any time to throw it’s going to challenge our young secondary.   

Simply stated, they are better collectively than they’ve been in recent years on offense.  

But their defense?  Uh yeah.   That’s why I think it will be a higher scoring game.   We’ll score a bunch, and I think they’ll score a few TDs as well.   

10 is coming.  But we’ll win against better competition this year than previous IMO.  

noneyadb
        Ute Fan
        @noneyadb

Highlights vs a 4-8 USF team that BYU lost too… 👌

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

BYU’s Dline will control the line of scrimmage on Saturday. No question.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A few thoughts on the upcoming “in-state game”