A legacy taken

Viewing 3 reply threads

Hellhound152
      Ute Fan
      @hellhound152

Finally got around to watching “College Football 150”.  My takeaway is that in less than 15 years 2004 and 2008 have been erased from college football lore.  Boise St. recieved a 7 minute segment on a 90 minute special for an improbable win over Oklahoma with no mention of the original or best BCS busters.  I wholly recognize that the true reward for those seasons has been replacing Wyoming with Washington on the schedule but it still bothered me.

How any Utah fan can ever say they like BSU boggles my mind, they couldn’t steal our prize but they undoubtedly have robbed the Utes of their rightful legacy as the program that caused the greatest change to the structure of the college game since the forward pass.  

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

It all comes down to that BS matchup with Pitt they gave us in 2004. If we had played Auburn instead, and won in dramatic or dominant fashion, or if the ’08 and ’04 seasons were reversed, Utah would get their due historically. Unfortunately, we played a rather forgettable opponent and ran them out of the building to the surprise of no one. Not exactly something that is going to be memorable to non-Utah/Pitt fans.

AgouraUte
      @agouraute

If you don’t win, you don’t remain relevant. That’s the reality of sports. Those years were cool, but we need to win a rose bowl to remain relevant. If we dwell too much on the past, we begin to sound like the TDS and their glorious 1984 season.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

I totally agree with living in the now.  However, the program was a survey of history, a series of snapshots in time.  A story about the first or even the best makes sense, they focused on neither.

AgouraUte
          @agouraute

Agreed

Duhwayne
            Ute Fan
            @duhwayne

The Buffs won TWO national championships since 1984 and you never hear about it. Two reasons why: 1) winning now is what matters, and 2) the Buffs are relatively normal people.

There is no reason for Utah to be a football power any more than Nebraska or Kansas. Just win and be relevant. The end. 

Craig
      Ute Fan
      @utereprobate

Was this an ESPN production?  If so it is ony normal.  They mistakenly called Boise St the original bowl busters many times.  BSU like BYU is in their stable.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A legacy taken