A ton of talk about RES stadium expansion right now….

Viewing 9 reply threads
      5 1

Ute Bc
      Ute Fan
      @utebc

The debate is going on at the U (see SLTRIB).  My guess is IF they decide to expand it will be 5,000 at the most.  Frankly, I wouldn’t want them to expand much more than that.  

SigEpUte
      Ute Fan
      @sigepute

I wouldn’t necessarily expand overall capacity.

I think they just need to close the south end zone to improve the optics of the stadium.

jamarcus24
        Ute Fan
        @jamarcus24

A little bit of both.  Expand and fill in the south endzone by completely renovating the south endzone.  The SEZ could use new locker rooms and a med facility as well as a few thousand extra seats.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

Yeah, I’d say a couple thousand more seats, but much more over 50,000 isn’t needed and is risky. Add in some more luxury suites. Fix the lockerrooms. 

We could have some of the best facilities in the country overall if we did this. 

sweetgrass
        Ute Fan
        @sweetgrass

SEZ

TheJuggernaut
          Ute Fan
          @thejuggernaut

I doubt we see suites on top of the bleachers due to the new jumbotron.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Optimum in this day in age (given the PAC 12 membership and western location) is about 55K, which can be done easily with filling in the southern endzone.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

That sure seems to be the best solution. The South End Zone should be condemned anyhow, it is falling down.

But there is almost no way the state legislature will pony up for it. Can the U raise $80M or so directly, or convince the UTLeg to bond all or part?

UW did a beautiful job with their new stadium and they were able to raise almost $300M for the renovation entirely through private donations. $60-$80M should be doable in Utah, I would think.

rbmw263
      Ute Fan
      @rbmw263

The endzone corners have to be filled in. That end of the stadium is embarassing. Bump it up to 55,000, call it good.

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

Agreed with pretty much everything being said here. Locker rooms are also in need of a yuuuuge upgrade.

Make it tremendous.

utefansince79
        Ute Fan
        @utefansince79

Indeed would be nice to fill in the south stands.  While the MUSS does an impressive job supporting the team, the closed north stands get absolutely rocking at times.    The locker rooms and other rooms in the south of course are over 30 years old and are badly in need of replacement.

What isn’t desirable though is have an expanded stadium with huge sections of empty seats which is all too common at many of the other Pac-12 venues.

Ute Bc
          Ute Fan
          @utebc

A lot of truth to the empty seats problem – one we don’t have at the moment…  That said, I’ve always been amazed how some of those teams in the south, like TN, pack those huge stadiums with mediocre years…

KiYi-Ute
            Ute Fan
            @kiyi-ute

Agreed. Some of the first things that other PAC12 ADs told Chris Hill when we got into the league was not to expand the stadium much, if at all. No empty seats.

TheJuggernaut
          Ute Fan
          @thejuggernaut

The endzone seats are the cheapest in the stadium. They won’t be empty.

Stradlater
      Ute Fan
      @stradlater

My guess is the split amongst fans between expanding and not expanding runs somewhere between season ticket holders and those who don’t have them.

TheJuggernaut
      Ute Fan
      @thejuggernaut

The SEZ is a WAC relic and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later, it’s not a question of if the U wants to replace it, it will happen.

This was a while ago, but what I heard was the frontrunner as far as plan options were concerned would completely demolish the SEZ, put in bleacher seats that would mirror the NEZ (this would have to be the case now due to the new jumbotron), and rebuild the SEZ facility to hold locker rooms, offices, etc. There were other plans to add suites along the top of the bleachers, but with the jumbotron I don’t think that’s an option.

This would put RES capacity somewhere in the neighborhood of 55K. The East side also has the capability of adding an upper deck someday, which would boost capacity to around 63K, but don’t expect that to happen anytime soon, if ever.

UtahUteGuy
      Ute Fan
      @utahuteguy

We need to fill in the south end zone.  I feel sorry for them during the U-T-A-H chants.  The poor little buggers don’t even have a chance.

BaldHatu
      Ute Fan
      @baldhatu

5,000 is ideal.  Cleaning up the optics of the stadium, improving locker room, increase 5K and call it a day.  Leave in place structure for future skybox/corporate suite expansion.  That would be it.

While at it… Increase bladder emptying stations as well.

Milton Vanderslice
        Ute Fan
        @miltonvanderslice

To be fair, the addition of the NEZ men’s room was well done. 

UtahMan77
      Ute Fan
      @utahman77

My buddy works in the athletic office and has said that if they put in just bleachers it’ll add around 10,000, and if they put in seats it would increase it by 7,000 to 8,000. I think the capacity around 55,000 would be a good stopping point. As a season ticket holder in the south endzone I love that view. You see plays develop holes open although the depth perception is terrible. An upgrade would be nice indeed.

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football A ton of talk about RES stadium expansion right now….