Aaron Roderick

Viewing 8 reply threads

Milton Vanderslice
      Ute Fan
      @miltonvanderslice

He sounds very hurt in this interview that 1280 is doing right now.  I hope they post the full interview online.

2 2

Utah
      Ute Fan
      @utah

I feel bad for him. He should have gone to Washington with Sark for the experience. We probably would have hired him as the sole OC a couple years ago and he’d be much better. 

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’ll keep saying it, but BYU should fire Cahoon and put ARod there. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

Given that Dennis Erickson retired, they could have demoted and retained Rodrick. Feel bad for the guy after a 10 win, followed by a 9 win season. A lot of the team’s issues were due to a plague of injuries, though Utah definitely needed a QB coach.

After listening to the interview, he had 39 wins in his 4 years and two stints as OC. He got screwed. Whitt may not have been happy with Red Zone results this year, but much of it came down to player execution. TW II fumbling multiple times in the red zone in crucial games. TW II sailing a very short pass to Moeai against Cal. Moss not following a block against Cal. That final play against Oregon was on the D, which is Scalley and Whitt. I hope he lands another gig, but I suspect his pickings are slim outside of Utah.

deleted
        Ute Fan
        @rolandovich

He’ll get another job. He’s a good if not great coach (recruiting). He’s just not an overly impressive QB coach. I’d love to see his offense/play calling had he a QB coach that was able to improve that position group over a season.  

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

I’ve said all along that they should move him to RB coach and either put Harding as sole OC or hire an outside OC. 

Oh well. He will be fine. He is a good coach. 

Anonymous
      Inactive

I too feel bad listening to ARod but Utah has been pretty dang good to him and made him a lot of money. He will be just fine. 

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Man he was p**sed about the QB development. But holy hell dude, do some introspection your QBs regressed throughout the years.

As to Travis Wilson, we all respect him for his grit but he regressed throughout the years as well.

ironman1315
        Ute Fan
        @ironman1315

Also, Roderick also denied that Whitt’s hands were in the offense to a more significant degree than other head coaches.

But of course no one will accept Roderick at his word.

Utah
          Ute Fan
          @utah

ironman, right? I mean, who wants to believe what the people in the war room are saying when the narrative from idiotic radio guys and message board intellects know so much better? 

deleted
          Ute Fan
          @rolandovich

I get that the buck stops with KW, but my god he seems damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t around e-Ute fans at least as regards the OC position. 

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

Aaron is a good guy and is widely respected as a coach (though not by fans). He will land on his feet and hopefully will get a good gig somewhere else (though probably not making $410K + up to $60k in bonuses – hope he was wise with the money).

But the truth is now is the time to move on. He did a lot to move the program forward, and now the program can move beyond where he took it.

uteman12
      Ute Fan
      @uteman12

leftyjace
      Ute Fan
      @leftyjace

OK, I’m just about done listening to this.

A few points:

1. He says he needs time to develop a quarterback – that he only had 1 year with Travis Wilson, and 1 year with Troy Williams. But… these guys are only there for AT MOST 3-4 years as starters. And more often than not, less than that. How much time does he need???

2. He also says that he felt it was so great that Troy had an 8-4 record as a starter, that having a new starter in the PAC-12 having a winning record was a big deal. BUT… is that really the case?

3. He blamed the personnel makeup for not being able to get in the red zone. Saying that you either have QBs that can run it in, or players that can bash it in, and we weren’t built for that and the shortened space available made it that much more difficult to get into the end zone once you entered the red zone. I call… um… BULL. SCHEIT. Play selection is what gets you in the end zone. You call plays that play to your personnel’s strengths, you don’t blame your personnel’s makeup for not being able to have plays that get you in the end zone.

It just seems to me that he was begging for more time. But he had plenty of time.

It seems to me that he wanted to point the finger everywhere other than at himself. It seems that he is bewildered and doesn’t know why he was let go.

He handled himself well and with class, but his responses just make me think that Whit was right to let him go. This guy wasn’t going to learn and wasn’t going to improve. He wasn’t interested in being creative and finding a way. He was interested in trying to make the players fit the system, not adjust the plays and the system to fit the strengths of the players.

deleted
        Ute Fan
        @rolandovich

Wow lefty…I’m about done with the interview too. I guess eye of the beholder here. I think he was very classy and very quick accept that the results weren’t there, that’s the nature of this business, and he just didn’t get it done. C’mon, he spent 25 minutes defending KW, the Utes, Travis Wilson, and TW2. What would you have him do? Say I suck, I had no business coaching here and KW was right to fire me? Or rather? The U sux, they didn’t deserve me? Damned if you do; damned if you don’t. I don’t know why a moderate, deferential tack would draw such ire.

Point by point: 

#3 I completely disagree that he blamed others. He said it was a team effort. We worked all year on it, and didn’t come up with the answers.

#2 I agree with him that 9-4 is a good year. That is better than Browning did his first year. He’s deserves to be proud of 19 wins in two years as a playcaller in the P12. I sure as hell would be too.

#1 Yep, more than one year… I don’t disagree. We will never know what he could have done with two years. Perhaps great things. Perhaps dog s**t. Doesn’t matter now. But no reason to kick the door closing on him. 

Thanks ARod. I hope you have a successful career (without ever beating us)!

leftyjace
          Ute Fan
          @leftyjace

I understand your perspectives, and see why you reach the conclusions you do. Two sides to every coin, I suppose.

While we do disagree on many points, I also agree that he was complimentary of the school and handled himself well.

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

He was the QB coach for Travis Wilson in 2014, and then was Co-OC/QB coach for Travis in 2015.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I was fine with him when he left to Washington, for at the time a great chance to improve his resume. When he left for TDS-P that was when he became dead to me. It may not be rational or anything but I place a lot of blame at his feet. Wideouts have sucked for years and QB’s haven’t improved at all.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Aaron Roderick