About that BYU top 20 transfer portal ranking

Viewing 5 reply threads
      13 1

BD
      Ute Fan
      @flyfisherman

I see on social media in lots of places that BYU fans are pretty excited about their “top 20 tranfer portal ranking”. The 247 site rates them up there pretty high – currently at 21.

However, it appears to me that the ranking is higher if there are more transfers, and BYU currently has 20 transfer commits, according to 247, which is well above average, boosting their ranking. Colorado sits as the #1 ranked transfer ranking, and they have 50 transfers. So, really, a ranking that is high is nothing to brag about if the program has lots of transfers.

247 Transfer Portal Rankings

On3 ranks the teams’ transfer portal based on how much talent has left the program by transferring out compared to how much has come in by transfer. BYU is way down there at #60. BYU has had more talented players leave than transfer in, as the average player rating is higher for those leaving BYU than those coming in. Utah is at #31 with more talented players transferring in than out. Losing Logan Fano was a big blow to them. Their loss, our gain. Haha.

On3 Transfer Portal Rankings

It doesn’t appear to me that BYU’s transfer ranking is anything to get excited about, taking all these things into consideration.

D T
      Ute Fan
      @azute1

Quoting a guy on DN—

“However, BYU’s transfer class is top-20 mainly because of the large number of transfers – 16 transfers, which is well above average, making it higher ranked, but NOT because the players transferring to BYU are all top 20 players – they are not.

This is because looking at the average ranking gives another story. BYU’s average tranfer rating is 87.0 – which is pretty good for them compared to their 85.18 ranking for the last regular recruiting cycle. Compare to Utah – 47th ranked transfer ranking – well below BYU’s 20th. But Utah only has 7 transfers, which lowers their transfer ranking significantly. However, Utah’s average transfer ranking is 87.50 – above BYU’s.

The number of transfers increases the rating, which boosts BYU’s. But this is very flawed since the number of transfers is based on need and different teams have different needs. Average ranking is more important, in my opinion.”

BD
        Ute Fan
        @flyfisherman

Exactly. Although I think 247 is now reporting 20 transfer comits for BYU and not 16, but the average ranking for Utah’s transfers is actually higher than BYU’s.

Also, On3 has the following for BYU:

13 transfers in at an average player rating of 64.39 (I’m not sure what this rating number means, exactly, but obviously the higher the better.) And 16 transfers out with a rating of 67.13.

So, 247 reports 20 transfer commits, and On3 reports only 13. So, with the discrepency in numbers between the two sites means to take all this with a bit of a grain of salt – still, BYU’s transfer rating isn’t nearly as great as they make it look – at least as it appears so to me.

Rick
        Ute Fan
        @rickyrules

So it is kind of like their high rankings in US News and World Reports college rankings due to their high rejection rates.  Pretty funny how they take their “wins.”

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Here are my thoughts on BYU:

CincyUte
      Ute Fan
      @cincyute

What’s the point of a ranking system that’s based on the quantity of prospects signed?

UrbanLiar
        Ute Fan
        @urbanliar

Tell that to Warren Jeffs

UteBacker
          Ute Fan
          @utebacker

OMG.  Post of the week, UrbanLiar.  Bwahahahahahaha.

Rick
          Ute Fan
          @rickyrules

Just fell out of my chair laughing!!!

PhiladelphiaUte
      Ute Fan
      @philadelphiaute

247 list 3 “ranking” metrics.  One is their “composite” rank, which is based on the high school and JUCO signings.  Another is the “transfer” rank, which is based entirely on transfer athletes.  The last ranking is the “overall” rank, which takes into account both the composite and transfer rankings.  The zoobs are glomming on to the “transfer” rank because it’s the only “number” that “looks” impressive.  It’s nothing more than another one of those traditional “sleight of hand” tricks, employed to bury the fact that their “composite” ranking was #66, and their “overall” is #51, whereas their big brother on the hill scored a “composite” and “overall” ranking of #21 and #23 respectively.

But since our “transfer” ranking was 47th, the zoobs think they can fool folks into believing they’re “one up” on us.

7 6

RedUte14
      Ute Fan
      @redute14

can we not post about BYU?

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

There is a category dedicated to it. If I’m not mistaken you can set it so you won’t see this category.

Tony (admin)
        Admin/Founder
        @admin

Just hide the category. 

RedUte14
          Ute Fan
          @redute14

honestly didn’t know that. thank you.

Tony (admin)
            Admin/Founder
            @admin

You can do it on the website or on the mobile app. Each is a little different. LMK if you have any questions!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums They So Poo Poo About that BYU top 20 transfer portal ranking