Achilles heel

Viewing 2 reply threads

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Going into the 2019 season the o-line was highlighted as a weakness or at least was a question mark and it was exposed in our losses.  

This year it’s special teams play in punting, kicking and coverage.  It was at least a factor in 2 of our 3 losses.  We missed a 37 yd FG in the San Diego St game and lost by 2.  We had 2 punts blocked by Oregon St, 1 for a TD, had another missed FG and lost by 8.

It has been a glaring issue from game 1 up through yesterday’s final season game.  It has been a factor in our losses.  We have compensated for it in our wins.  It won’t be fixed in a week’s time.  How do we patch this thing up, so it’s a non-factor in the championship game?

utefansince79
      Ute Fan
      @utefansince79

I doubt Utah has ever been close to yielding FIVE touchdowns on special teams in the same season.

At least Covey took a punt return to the house last weekend.  But special teams has been a glaring weakness this year.  Hope it doesn’t cost us in the last 2 games.

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

Covey is one of the leading punt returners in the nation. Firing Shah seems excessive. Moving him over to recruiter I think was a suggestion made in chat. 

Yergensen
          Ute Fan
          @yergensen

Hope it wasn’t implied that firing is part of the fix. Sharrief Shah is Utah football and a good coach.

EagleMountainUte
            Ute Fan
            @battlegroundute

Well some have called for Shaw to be fired but I think Harlan has no say over Stanford’s coaching decisions. 

W16Ute
          Ute Fan
          @w16ute

I would think that Shah relieved of special teams duties is appropriate but he’s doing well with CBs and should retain that.

However, this is all assuming that he isn’t going to be an accomplice to his wife’s pending criminal trial.😬

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

I think he’s in the clear of that since he hasn’t been charged. Of course, that could change as the investigation unfolds. He should be moved to recruiting coordinator and retain his CB spot.

therealu
      Ute Fan
      @therealu

Simple: don’t punt

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Achilles heel