An Arizona Rushing Stat to Watch for During Match-up With Utes

Viewing 4 reply threads

mpute
      Ute Fan
      @mparker40

According to sports writer for the Arizona Republic, Michael Lev, in his article: “Arizona Wildcats’ Offensive Line is Key to Upset Bid of Utah” :  

The correlation between Arizona’s rushing success and overall success isn’t limited to games against Utah. The Wildcats are 28-8 when they rush for 200 or more yards under Rich Rodriguez. When they fail to reach 150 yards, they’re 3-14.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/ncaaf/ua/2017/09/19/arizona-wildcats-offensive-line-key-upset-bid-utah/683742001/ 

This is going to be a great match-up in the desert against one of the best rushing offenses in the nation against one of the best defenses. Check out these stats from this good article:

Arizona enters this week leading the Pac-12 at 328 rushing yards per game. That’s the fourth-best figure in the nation. If you include last year’s record-setting finale against Arizona State, the Wildcats are averaging 373.8 rushing yards in their past four games.

Utah, meanwhile, ranks first in the conference and second in the country in run defense, surrendering 49.3 yards per game and 1.7 per carry. No Utes opponent has eclipsed 63 yards this season.

Arizona has defeated Utah four times in the past six meetings. In those four victories, the Wildcats have averaged 269 rushing yards per game and 5.8 per attempt. In two losses, those numbers plummet to 129 and 3.7.

If Huntley and his offensive crew can have a good game, putting up passing yards equivalent to the SJSU outing against this Arizona defense, especially without any turnovers (which is KEY), then we just might come out on top! And, if Gay continues to be solid for us, especially from 40 and 50 yards out, we’ll win! Go Utes!

KiYi-Ute
      Ute Fan
      @kiyi-ute

I’m so happy that conference play is finally here. Hope our D-Line can hold these guys and our LBs play disciplined and don’t let them burn us on the outside.

GO UTES!

UM4G
      Ute Fan
      @um4g

I’m excited for this matchup because we’ll get to find out if our rush defense if for real. Would love to pass this test and going forward be able to to say that we’ve got a solid rush defense as evidenced by holding Arizona to x amount of yards per carry.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Utah holds Arizona to 15 yards of rushing. That’s right I said 15.

Anonymous
        Ute Fan
        @anonymous

For the entire game? 1st quarter? 1st 5 minutes? 🙂

ladyinred
        Ute Fan
        @ladyinred

“I like the way you think.”

– Milton Vanderslice

EagleMountainUte
        Ute Fan
        @battlegroundute

15??  I am going to just say no way in hell does this happen. 

ironman1315
          Ute Fan
          @ironman1315

Don’t be doubtin’ the power of 15!

UteThunder
            Ute Fan
            @utethunder

I’m still waiting for the 15 sacks we were promised against BYU.

UtMtBiker
      Ute Fan
      @utmtbiker

I really don’t think these stats are relevant considering the competition that we have both faced so far this year. Additionally, you can’t compare a teams last 4 games to another’s last 3, particularly when one team has been playing 17 true freshman this year that weren’t on the field for one of their 4 games. Quality of opponent needs to be factored in here in order to make these numbers mean anything at all.

More relevant to me would be one coaches w/l percentage when rushing for over 200 yds vs another coaches w/l percentage vs those same opponents in the same year (meaning most of the same players were on the field) when holding the opponent to less than 150 yds rushing.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football An Arizona Rushing Stat to Watch for During Match-up With Utes