Another disappointing lost for the basketball team again

Viewing 3 reply threads

Carterdalby
      Ute Fan
      @carterdalby

Hopefully there’s better days ahead for the Runnin Utes.

Larry B
      Ute Fan
      @larryb

I am absolutely shocked!

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Longest losing streak since 1935.

I will give Craig 3 years minimum before I call for his head, but I have serious questions. I see no improvement on the same issues that have plagued us all year (rebounding, shooting, turnovers). And there are some lineup questions that he’s not answering…for example, this team desperately needs a good shooter. The best shooter on the team, DJJ, barely plays. Meanwhile Riley Battin gets tons of minutes to toss up bricks.

AZUTE
        Ute Fan
        @azute

With all the injuries and illnesses this has turned into a complete throwaway year for Smith. He’s caught between a rock and a hard place right now. He wants to establish a culture of continuity and stop all the transfers but he needs to gut this team in the offseason and find some talent somewhere.

He needs a true PG Worster just isn’t getting it done.

Jenkins has gotten himself in Smith’s doghouse and like I said Smith is trying to built his culture so guys like Brenchley and Ballstaedt who are 100% effort guys are playing right now even though they have no business being in a Pac12 roster

Battin is playing cause Smith really has nothing else at the 4.

He needs impact guys at the PG and PF spots from the portal or next years results will be the same.

younglurch
          Ute Fan
          @younglurch

I think this is the best answer to our struggles right now. Smith is trying to establish a culture, and that comes at a price early on. Plus, our roster more closely resembles that of a mid-major team in terms of talent, and injuries haven’t helped a ton either. 

Smith seems like a great guy with good energy who can succeed as a coach. If we’re not flirting with the tournament by the 23-24 season, then I’d say it’s time to be concerned. For now, just enjoy the cheap tickets and ability to sit practically courtside at every game. 

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Good post – you make a lot of good points. It truly did become a throwaway year with the illnesses and injuries. But I still don’t see the progress that comes from good coaching. These guys aren’t P5 caliber players, but they can still improve and they haven’t.

AZUTE
            Ute Fan
            @azute

I guarantee you would see a better record if Carlson, Anthony, Hoyt, and Marhoric had played all season.

Brenchley should be your 9th or 10th guy off the bench but when he’s averaging 15 minutes a night you have major problems.

All the problems this team has TOs rebounding shooting are all talent based. The Utes just don’t have a lot of it right now.

PlainsUte
      Ute Fan
      @plainsute

Given up trying to follow the Utes this year, too frustrating.  Giving my support to Rick Majerus protoge’ Porter Moser and the Sooners.  Had a bad stretch themselves, but already have some solid wins — pretty good for a team cobbled together with many freshmen and portal transfers.  Very much a Majerus-type defense-first team that is getting their footing with the ohfense for the 2nd half of the Big-12 conference schedule.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Basketball (Men) Another disappointing lost for the basketball team again