Any Hardcore History fans here?

Viewing 5 reply threads

RisingSun
      Ute Fan
      @risingsun

I haven’t listened to it much, to be honest, but everyone says it’s great and the new episode dropped yesterday and I was listening a bit, no spoilers but it’s about nuclear stuff. Today on twitter I’m seeing various comments about nuclear bombs as a result, and boy, if you want to be shocked at how big these things are, goole tsar bomba. The map overlays of total destruction are amazing, and alleged test results had 3rd degree burn heats up to 62 miles away and windows partially breaking up to 500 miles away! I have not served myself, although several immediate family members have, but I had no idea they were that big. Shocking the power that can be unleashed.

Puget Ute
      Ute Fan
      @pugetute

LOVE IT! That is one of the greatest podcasts of all time. I need to DL the new one, but some of the older episodes/series have been magnificent.

For anybody who wants to check out the back catalog, I very highly recommend the following episodes:
      Prophets of Doom (Anabaptist movement in 16th century Germany)
      Blueprint for Armageddon (WWI – difficult to listen to due to the hopelessness of the battles)
      Wrath of the Khans (Genghis Khan/Mongol Empire – absolutely fantastic all around)
      Death Throes of the Republic (Roman Empire)
      Ghosts of the Ostfront (WWII)

Dan Carlin is a CU graduate, so there is a PAC-12 tie-in…

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

I’m a hardcore fan. Oh wait.

Utah
        Ute Fan
        @utah

We all kinda knew. 

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

Man I tried listening to those guys once and just couldn’t get through all the crap to the real history.

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

For reference, the bomb dropped on Hiroshima was about the same size as the rounds that were in the tactical inventory. Strategic inventory was much bigger.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

As far as yield goes that’s true. Physical size was much different.

Utahute72
          Ute Fan
          @utahute72

Correct.  the original bombs were pretty crude.

bopahull
        Ute Fan
        @bopahull

Like we try to convince our wives, it’s not the size that matters, it’s the yield.

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

Highly recommend listening to The Wrath of the Khans episodes

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

After listening to those episodes watch the series Marco Polo on Netflix. It is a scripted drama, but the underlying story follows the narrative of the Khan dynasty and provides clarity to some of the historical narratives discussed by Carlin.

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

Perfect timing for a series recommendation. I’ve been in a dry spell. Thanks!

Viewing 5 reply threads

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Politics Any Hardcore History fans here?