Anybody ready to turn the offense over to someone else?

Viewing 6 reply threads

UteThunder
      Ute Fan
      @utethunder

Here are the candidates and their relevant experience:

Gary Andersen – Played Center in college, has 1 year of experience as an OC at SE Louisiana, 2 years of OL coach experience at Ricks, and 11 years of HC experience (Park City High, Southern Utah, Utah State, Wisconsin, Oregon State)

Jim Harding – Played Offensive Tackle in college, 3 years as an “offensive” GA at Missouri, 1 year as a high school HC, 8 years as on OL coach (Wyoming & Utah), 1 year as the Run Game Coordinator at Wyoming, three years as a co-OC (Wyoming & Utah)

Guy Holliday – RB coach for 4 years, WR coach for 18 years, TE coach for 1 year, QB coach for 1 year, 6 years OC (Tuskegee & Alabama State)

Kiel Mcdonald and Freddie Whittingham aren’t options because they have so little coaching experience and nobody else on staff has any offensive coaching experience to speak of.

If we are going to make a mid-season switch, my vote would go to Holliday. He has both the most offensive coaching experience and the most experience as an OC. 

EagleMountainUte
      Ute Fan
      @battlegroundute

I averaged about 60 ppg a season on NCAA 2009 or 2008. Whatever the BJ year was for PS3. I think I am more qualified than the ones you listed. 

Ute Bc
        Ute Fan
        @utebc

I’m positive our 10th OC will be the one!

UteThunder
          Ute Fan
          @utethunder

I’ll take the possibility of an unknown possible upgrade over the known disaster we have right now. The offense is significantly worse in Taylor’s second year. And Taylor’s first year was already worse than A-Rod’s offense the year before.

UtMtBiker
        Ute Fan
        @utmtbiker

All have a better resume than Troy Taylor. 

4 2

noneyadb
      Ute Fan
      @noneyadb

The o-line has been s**t ever since Harding showed up. Allowing 6 sacks vs NIU is a joke. Harding needs to go. The “Throw game” doesn’t work if every time the team is in a passing situation they give up a sack, or can’t hold blocks long enough to allow a QB enough time to throw the ball.

As far as a new coach- either Harsin from Boise or if possible /preferred Dave Arranda from LSU. 7 mil/yr as a DC is not going to be easy to lure him away.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Mid-season? No. 

UteThunder
        Ute Fan
        @utethunder

So just ride it out with the guy who has gotten us 13.6 ppg and 312.3 ypg against FBS competition this year?

I know switching OCs, or at least the guy calling plays, mid-season is risky . . . but can it get any worse? I think the potential reward is more than worth the risk.

EagleMountainUte
          Ute Fan
          @battlegroundute

Brutal just Brutal. But remember Washington was ranked tenth.  So whatever that means. 

ironman1315
            Ute Fan
            @ironman1315

We’ve also had the 8th hardest schedule to date.

EagleMountainUte
              Ute Fan
              @battlegroundute

So this is the new narrative. Hard schedule?  

ironman1315
                Ute Fan
                @ironman1315

I think it’s a contributing factor yes. We vegeta should have played better, don’t get me wrong, and we have a lot of problems, but do you really think schedule plays so little a roll?

EagleMountainUte
                  Ute Fan
                  @battlegroundute

I am just sort of reeling still from the fact that Utah was supposed to be a contender for the South. Specifically people I know and trust said this offense is looking good. Either they lied or the teams Utah have played are better than I think. I watched that Washington game several times and Utah had soooo many chances to win it. It is the way they are losing that is frustrating. Wazzu they controlled the line of scrimmage with seven in the box but don’t rush anymore?  FRUSTRATED!! Whitt has got to go I have seen this too many times. It is trademark Whitt underperforming team. 

1 1

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

Utah States QB coach?

Utahute72
      Ute Fan
      @utahute72

You know anyone that will get better calls from the Refs.

Most PAC 12 games are 50/50 games where one call or play can swing the result.  In our two losses there have been significant calls that impacted the outcome.  Unless and until the PAC 12 fixes the officiating do you really expect any different result.

//r00t4Utes
      Ute Fan
      @r00t4utes

As frustrating as it has been I’m willing to give him more time given the fact that he did have so little OC experience coming into this job. However that is predicated on him being coach-able (accepting help from the other coaches), willing to admit mistakes and willingness to fix them and loyalty if the Utes stick with him through these tough times and he ends up blowing up he needs to return that loyalty.

Also again as frustrated as I am this is penance for certain large groups of fans who were mad at Whit always running the ball, be careful what you ask for. People need to be more intelligent with their complaints, for me it wasn’t the running the ball so often it was the predictability and the lack of the counter play call to just keep the defense thinking just enough that they can’t always sell out and know that the possibility of a counter attack play call is a possibility.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football Anybody ready to turn the offense over to someone else?