As much as I’m ok that we are 0-2, I’m upset about

Viewing 10 reply threads
      1 24

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

The fact that we were clearly taken for a ride by Ute coaches and insiders (yes, that includes the apparently sometimes very very wrong Onlyu).

we were lead to believe we had two great qb options. I gotta believe if the contest was really as close as they all claimed, rising is clearly not much better than Bentley… and Bentley is the most turnover happy player I have maybe ever seen. He’s… not good, which means rising is probably one of the worst Pac12 starting quarterbacks if healthy.

we were similarly lied to re our offensive line. 

gUrthBrooks
      Ute Fan
      @hammer

Bro, the coaches and insiders can tell you what they see in practice, they cannot tell you how players will perform against USC and UW, having not played a game previously, had their practices wrecked by Covid, meanwhile USC and UW have played multiple GAMES! The fact that Utah was up 21-0 in the first half against UW and Bentley was looking like a good QB destroys part of your argument. The O-line dominating in the first half of UW destroys part of your argument. 
      Consider the lilies of the goddamn field.

Crazyforu
      Ute Fan
      @crazyforu

I also think there is a lot of information that isn’t in the public, that Kyle purposely keeps inside the 4 walls of the football facility.

Injuries, Corona, there are a lot of reasons why you haven’t heard about who and why they are being held out, Kyle doesn’t make excuses. I think we all agree that we want to see better QB play, I am sure there are a lot of reasons for it though. Same goes for the O-line play.

Those of us that aren’t in the facility daily, have literally no idea what takes place. I remember Domo mentioning a couple years ago about the 2015? season, and how much went on behind the scenes that was never made public. OnlyU has been the absolute best resource on here, I have zero frustrations with anything he has posted. 

Fans are quick to point fingers, without really knowing the bulk of the story.

gUrthBrooks
        Ute Fan
        @hammer

OnlyU has been the best. A moron might s**t on him and then later realize, after he stops posting, what a dumb decision that was. 

GameForAnyFuss
      Ute Fan
      @gameforanyfuss

Just a reminder: Ute insiders (including OnlyU) don’t owe you – or us – anything. They don’t owe you truth, light, information, or knowledge.

Your post smacks of entitlement. And you have no one to blame but yourself if you believe what anonymous people are posting online.

Finally, if you’re not careful, bulls**t posts like this one will drive insiders away just like it did back in the day on Utefans and then we’ll be left completely in the dark. But maybe that’s what you want…

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

So just to be clear… I shouldn’t believe what anonymous posters say on the internet because only an idiot would do that… but at the same time, I need to keep my mouth shut so the anonymous internet guy doesn’t get offended and stop posting (even though no intelligent person would ever believe him anyway)?

If we aren’t supposed to believe what they say, then what is the purpose of having them around?

GameForAnyFuss
          Ute Fan
          @gameforanyfuss

Look, it’s not that difficult. I would rather have inside info that’s only 75% right than no inside info at all.

The way you’re clutching your handbag when something doesn’t pan out the way OnlyU said is obnoxious. He’s not a Starbucks barista that you get to go all Karen on when he doesn’t get your order perfect.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

There has been some good QB play.  That pass to the left corner of the end zone was money.  We can’t expect good QB play until the offensive line improves their play. 

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

It’s football. Not everything goes your way. Not everything goes as expected. If you can’t take the disappointment of a couple of losses while standing there watching others work hard, you really should find something else to do. I recommend checkers, if still not winning enough, find younger opponents. The explanations will be beyond your understanding.

chinngiskhaan
        Ute Fan
        @chinngiskhaan

Goodness guys, a little reading comprehension goes a long way. I specifically said that I’m fine with the team being 0-2. If you read my last post you would know that I think this team has a bright future.

Central Coast Ute
          Ute Fan
          @flip2848

You started out that way but then you finished s**tting on the team, coaches and insiders. Plus your behavior in chat during the USC game kinda negates your opening sentence

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

I’ve talked to a few people I trust and they all said the QB competition was not that close. Rising was clearly the better QB. Everything from camp was just Coach speak to keep this quite like Whit wants it.

Bentley can make some plays. The throw to BT for the TD was a thing of beauty but he missed some open receivers not going threw his progressions.

He just needs to be a game manager and stop the turnovers.

The running game was having its way with Washington. The fumble by Jordan and the failed QB sneak were absolute killers as I think both drives would have ended with points.

The OL can run block and that’s about it.

Trailgoat
        Ute Fan
        @utahgoat

Agree AZUTE. Convert on 4th down no fumble, this thread would not exist. I do not agree with KW being all secretive about naming the starter like it makes a difference in preparation for the opposing team. Come out with it and show everyone that you’re confident in your guy at QB. Kids love the media hype. Especially this year, being coy about announcing the decision seems silly. Obviously did not change anything for USC when Bentley. OLine still could block and the WR could not get open.

mfaulk80
        Ute Fan
        @mfaulk80

Even with the ‘coach speak’, Whitt also said that the decision was unanimous among the coaches.  He also said that the QB was chosen based on accuracy and decision making.  With basically no spring ball and Bentley having just transferred here, they had to give him a few weeks to show his stuff….especially given his experience.  I’m not surprised at all to hear that the QB competition wasn’t as closed as it was said to have been…

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

A bit of head scratcher considering all the pre-season hype. In fairness to Rising, he has yet to play enough to gauge his ability. The transfer portal, similar to JC transfers is somewhat of a crap shoot. Let’s not forget Rising and Bentley left their previous programs because they were not the top QB. Bentley’s performance at Utah is not far off from his Jekyll and Hyde results at SC.

Utah has not been able to recruit and retain talented H.S. QBs. Huntley has been the only H.S. QB to start and finish at Utah in almost 10 years. Other short term contributing players were either transfers or lower level QBs that came and went. I think a lot of this routes back to the instability at OC over KWs career. IF Ludwig sticks around for the long haul as he states, we need to give him time to weather the fall out from years of OC turnover and dial in his system and players.

The concern with QB right now is Rising being out hurt with a long term throwing arm shoulder injury (if what is true about his condition). He will be out a long time after surgery combined with months of rehab, no throwing, and no real time team practice. Basically he starts over next Fall at the earliest. Again, going off what is said about his condition.

This leaves Bentley as a one and done next Fall with Costelli coming in as a true Frosh. We’ll hear a bunch of non-committal BS from Whittingham next summer about the QB position. Pull the trigger early and go with your guy. Lesson learned, if KW waits until kick-off to name his QB, there is a confidence problem at QB. Best case scenario is Bentley settles in and eliminates the bad gun-slinging decisions. Go Utes!

UteBacker
        Ute Fan
        @utebacker

Let’s not forget that the knock on Bentley from day one (and validated by those close to the South Carolina program) is that he will look like John Elway one moment and Jake Heaps the next.  I think we’re seeing that play out.

My biggest fear is that Oregon has given everyone the blueprint on how to beat Utah.  We’re not a threat for the deep ball which makes it MUCH easier to scheme against us.  You load the box and make us beat you with the throw, which we can’t, and probably won’t be able to as long as our offensive philosophy is so conservative.  

We win a lot of games with our current offensive philosophy as well, so it’s hard.  I just think the turnovers have been the story of the first two games.  You’re not going to beat SC & Wash with a -3 TO margin.

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

Agree UB. I think it started with Colorado as well. Utah’s deep passes in the UC game occurred when Huntley broke out of pressure dumping it off to ZM or the big heave to Kuithe. Texas, USC, and UW followed suit with better athletes to ramp up the pass rush and lock down the WRs.

I presume OS will try the same. Utah’s WRs get ZERO respect from the athletic teams. Combined with poor pass blocking, the Ute QBs do not have time to get a pass off outside of 15 yards down the field. Losing Dixon hurts. Ennis and Thompson are great WRs, but are not a deep threat against the top teams.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

10 years? Let’s not forget Travis Wilson.

Trailgoat
          Ute Fan
          @utahgoat

Travis graduated H.S. 2011. Crazy, seems like yesterday. Unless I am missing someone, Huntley (a Dennis Erickson recuit) and Travis Wilson the only two rated QBs to sign and play their full career at Utah out of H.S. in the past 10 years. Not counting the guys that never played or Lisk (no disrespect to Lisk, kids probably going to end up coaching an NFL team someday)

Central Coast Ute
            Ute Fan
            @flip2848

You are correct about Wilson and Huntley. Unless there is another back up in there that we’re not thinking of, but as far as starters go, it’s those two. 10 years ago the QB was Jordan Wynn. A rated HS QB, with talent, but his body couldn’t hold up. Between he and Wilson was Hays, JC transfer acted as place holder. After Wilson was William’s, another place holder for a year. In the last 10 years the Utes have started 3 HS rated QB’s and 3 transfers, if you count Rising this year. The bulk of the time was used up by Wilson and Huntley. I just don’t agree that the Utes are always going after transfers for QB’s. Just the way I see it.

Yergensen
      Ute Fan
      @yergensen

Did you look at Bentley’s stats or just assume that 30+ SEC games’ experience equated with greatness? There was a huge sample size for Bentley.  He averaged 1 pick per game and his completion rate had dropped each year at SC with his last year down around 60%. One look at his stats should have prepped you for this.

In fairness to him, he is and will be better than the last 2 games as he and the offense get more time together. This isn’t all on him, but unless Ludwig can get him to the next level like he did with Huntley, Bentley is what he has been all along.

Utah5410
      Ute Fan
      @utah5410

I love ONLYU post. He’s pretty spot on. I would he’s say 90-95 percent accurate on his post… Im done with people apologizing for Harding. People can down vote or come at me. But every year, I feel this guy gets a pass. Every year it’s the same thing. I understand the O-Line had a covid outbreak. But what was the excuse last year when UO and Texas were giving it to us. Or USC. Remember the USC game last year ?? Its just the same story every year no matter who our guys are. We’ve had some very good O-lineman. So now we are playing three freshman. thats great for the future, it also tells me the guys we had before either weren’t that good or not coached up. Both of those things are on Harding.

Charlie
      Ute Fan
      @charlie

Lot’s of discussion about the last 10 years but Ludwig is only responsible for 1 full recruiting year so far. So far he has done about as well as expected giving us QB options. If you can do better, contact Whitt. We don’t need to revisit OCs from the past.

We have not had 10 full years in the Pac yet but have been moving ahead of typical and reasonable expectations for someone coming from the G5. Currently we do just fine in the bottom 2/3 of the P5 but we still struggle with the top 20 of the P5. So do another 45 teams in the P5. I suggest we and the 45 P5 teams behind us should not melt down and just enjoy the ride. This is not as if 45 P5 teams should clean house every year until they win a conference championship. We are getting close, enjoy the ride because only a few teams, not us, are sitting around with the thought that there is not something to improve.

If you have been here several decades, even without a CC, most Ute fans see the glass half full and a long long way from where we were in the 70s and 80s. I get it, finishing the year and starting the next year with 2 losses a piece is hard but not the end of the world.

Central Coast Ute
        Ute Fan
        @flip2848

Exactly Charlie. The cupboards are not bare. Jordan, Ritchie, Mark’s, Fotu, Carlton, Filinger, Phillips all look damn good. I’m sure I missed a couple names too.

Trailgoat
      Ute Fan
      @utahgoat

That site is still operational? Place went down hill following the orginal creators passing, RIP WebMonkey.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

That’s an interesting theory. 

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football As much as I’m ok that we are 0-2, I’m upset about