ASU hire Herm Edwards

Viewing 4 reply threads

SalUteopia
      Ute Fan
      @saluteopia

RiseasUtes
      Ute Fan
      @riseasutes

They will be tough defensively and pretty disciplined overall.  He will need to hire a decent OC to have any success(sound familiar?).  I also think he could be a pretty solid recruiter, but too many unknowns at this point to know how well he might do.  He hasnt coached in almost 10 years so Ill be interested to see how he does.  I like the guy(met him once), but now hope he fails(at least against us).

RedLine
      Ute Fan
      @redline

I was worried about Sumlin taking that position who I still think could be dangerous at the right coaching spot.  Herm Edwards is going to bring dicipline and focus to ASU.  The South isn’t getting easier with Edward and Kelly joining the conference. 

SalUteopia
        Ute Fan
        @saluteopia

Would you rather face an ASU team coached by Herm, or by Sumlin?

RedLine
          Ute Fan
          @redline

Hard to say.  Herm seems more like Graham in the ‘my way or highway’ attitude and an unchanging proclivity for how to win games.  The PAC is extremely diverse is scheme week to week.  And Sumlin, while disparaged for mediocore results post Manziel, navigated extreme fan expectations while never having a team quit on him. He can recurit and manage diverse team egos – something that ASU gets a lot of from Burfict to Brockweiler. I guess Sumlin would be the choice due to recent past season performances, but I think they’re both unknown commodities at ASU. 

SalUteopia
            Ute Fan
            @saluteopia

Good insight. Looks like ASU will continue to remain a tough opponent.

AZUTE
      Ute Fan
      @azute

Is Herm 12 million dollars better then Graham? No

Hasn’t Coached a college game since 1989

Only 8 years of head coaching experience all in the NFL with a career record of 54-74

Can he relate to the teenagers of today? He can tell stories about back in the day when I was coaching in the mfl but a HS recruit will have to google search whom ever he is talking about.

Can he run a spread offense? Or will ASU go more west coast/ pro set now?

This hire makes no sense to me

Puget Ute
        Ute Fan
        @pugetute

The current ASU AD used to be his agent, and the current ASU Associate AD was his agent at another time.  Suddenly the hire makes incredible sense.

To be fair to Coach Edwards, I have to believe he will be a solid recruiter just because he is an excellent on-air personality.  He is charming and engaging, and all of the recruits and their parents have seen him on ESPN for the last 8 years. Herm Edwards walking into a recruit’s home will be like meeting a celebrity.

ironman1315
      Ute Fan
      @ironman1315

My first question about hearing this was…

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football ASU hire Herm Edwards