At the end of the year when Utah State’s coach moves on to a better job perhaps

Viewing 2 reply threads
      2 13

Ute Dub
      Ute Fan
      @chestercopperpot

Gary Patterson can come back to Utah State? He has two kids there with his ex wife who moved back to Logan sometime after their divorce while at TCU.

Even better if Patterson replaces Scalley at d-coordinator up on the hill and Scalley goes to Utah St. to prove he’s worth a damn as the head guy.  

I’m hoping that last paragraph will get some down votes and lively discussion going.

14 4

Italy88
      Ute Fan
      @itacoatiara22

Got my down vote. Not sure what discussion you are looking for. I’m comfortable with Scalley being the next HC.

7 1

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Thanks, you got my upvote. Does he have HC experience? Does he have DC experience outside of being under K-Whitt’s wing? K-Whitt was his own DC under McBride and Urban Meyer before becoming the head man of a non-P5 school. I think the coach in waiting thing sucks ass and the Utah Job should have a thorough nationwide search. There are proven guys out there that have gone into an unfamiliar school and made them winners. I might start there first before lazily handing over the reigns without thoroughly researching the field. 

highlandute7
          Ute Fan
          @highlandute7

What HC experience did KW have when he replaced UM?

Sure KW worked as DC under RM and UM but its not Scalley’s fault that KW has been the HC as long as he has. Scalley had multiple chances to go coach with UM at Florida and Ohio St. Should he maybe have taken one of those offers? Probably yes, but just because he has worked under KW his coaching career doesn’t make him a bad choice.

I think he should be considered for the HC job but also believe a nationwide search should and believe will be done whenver that is.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

None, but he was his own DC under McBride and Meyer and he was a non-p5 coaching job as his first.  

dystopiamembrane
          Ute Fan
          @dystopiamembrane

I agree completely.

5 1

chinngiskhaan
      Ute Fan
      @chinngiskhaan

What discussion is there? No sane Utah fan wants Moobs here. He is an asshole with a ton of baggage, we have NO idea if he even wants to coach still… Hiring him would be like hiring Gary Anderson after his several failed HC attempts, except Gary was liked by the Utah staff and players, and he wasn’t given the DC job, he was hired as a position coach.

Also, what kind of an idiot would scalley have to be to take the HC job at USU. If the guy that is there currently fails, then their program will essentially be back to where it was prior to GA coaching there the first time, who in the hell would want that job? Why on earth would someone who has almost certainly gotten better HC offers at better programs (probably even P5 programs) want to coach at USU just to prove himself, when the UofU HC job is his for the taking when Kyle retires in a few years anyways?

If Moobs goes anywhere to be a HC, it’ll be to some program who’s best option is a has been who may not even be interested in coaching anymore. Even USU has a higher bar than that. Their current HC is not a has been, and he may end up doing a great job there. The way his defenses have been performing since joining the big12, I’d be reluctant to hire him as a DC if I was a D1 program, and I wouldn’t even think about it if I was a P5 program. NO WAY IN HELL! Maybe he gets a P5 DC job if he takes a year off to work as a consultant under Saban.

Moobs isn’t getting fired for reasons other than s**tty football coaching (even though those reasons abound). He’s getting fired because he wasn’t doing his job well. Name one other looooong tenured HC that got fired for not doing his job well for several years that subsequently landed a P5 coordinator gig. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

Moobs’s situation isn’t the same as a sark or Kiffin, or other hot shot up and comer type who got let go for reasons that mostly had to do with things outside of their ability to coach football. Those guys had other problems that they supposedly resolved. They also had relatively short stints at HC, following recent success as a coordinator.

2 1

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

Tell us how you really feel about Gary Patterson.

Ute Dub
        Ute Fan
        @chestercopperpot

Dennis Erickson

1 1

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

His longest tenure as a HC was 5 years. That is nowhere near the same thing as staying at the same place for 20+ years (the last 5+ of which were mediocre at best). Also, Erickson took a year or two off prior to joining the Utes. Again, not at all the same situation.

Ute Dub
            Ute Fan
            @chestercopperpot

How big is the pool of coaches that have coached 20+ years in the same place? Your logic is sporadic and confusing. How many moons have orbited the earth in past 100 years besides our moon and had an astronaut land on it?

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

Nah… My logic isn’t confusing, but I will admit the criteria is a bit unfair. I’ll just go ahead and remove the long tenured part for the sake of this argument. Erickson was an HC for a long time at a lot of different places. He was successful for at least a little while at all of his college stops. As far as quality CFB head coach goes, he’s at least comparable to patterson. That being said, my point about him not joining Utah the year he got fired still stands. I beleive I’ve already admitted that Patterson may end up as a DC at a P5 school after taking a year or two to step away from any official coaching duties (like sark and kiffin did for example). That isn’t what you suggested. You suggested that he come here at the end of this season.

Hellhound152
        Ute Fan
        @hellhound152

The biggest issue is that the only similarity between Patterson’s 4-2-5 and the current Utah scheme is that they are even front defenses.  Patterson and Kyle were not exactly admirers of each others work and there was always a level of animus that was palatable between the two in public.  There is no world where Patterson winds up here or back in Utah at any institution for that matter.  This is a non-conversation.

chinngiskhaan
          Ute Fan
          @chinngiskhaan

I don’t know man. After reading Kyle’s comments regarding Patterson’s leaving TCU, he was extremely complementary, even calling him a good friend. Does that mean he’ll coach under Whitt? Nope. However, that perceived animosity was either just a result of the competitive nature of their games, or their relationship changed significantly when both teams left the MWC… Or Kyle is just being nice.

Hellhound152
            Ute Fan
            @hellhound152

Maybe it is a product of age.  Kyle seems to gush over other coaches now, that was not the case back in the late 2000’s.  Or it all could have been a good old fashion NWA angle.

chinngiskhaan
              Ute Fan
              @chinngiskhaan

I have no idea, he has probably changed a ton just over the last year alone. He’s been given a lot of reasons to rethink his priorities in life.

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football At the end of the year when Utah State’s coach moves on to a better job perhaps