B1G/P12 scheduling

Viewing 3 reply threads

GadValleyUte
      Ute Fan
      @maximumkungfu

I know the agreement fell apart, but I really liked seeing all the cross-over games this year. It’s probably because I have loyalties to 2 B1G schools, but I think it made for lots of compelling football, and helped both conferences. I know playing the B1G may not help our recruiting as much as playing schools in TX and FL, but I would love to see more. We probably really benefited. We got to play and beat Michigan twice in 2 years. I imagine that actually helped recruiting on all fronts a lot more than playing Baylor or any directional Florida school could.

I’m really bummed about the OOC schedule over the next 5 years. Please point out bright spots I’m missing.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 5 months ago by GadValleyUte.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

Please point out bright spots I’m missing.

Guaranteed wins perhaps? Agree that despite playing non FL or TX schools, being the big show on TV against Michigan, and beating them, was great publicity and recruiting juice.

89ute
      Ute Fan
      @89ute

I’m really bummed about the OOC schedule over the next 5 years. Please point out bright spots I’m missing

I think if we want to see better OOC games, we need to hope the college playoff stays at 4 teams. If it does (I think it will) we might get some calls from the Big 12 (9 p5 games with no p5 OOC -see Baylor) or Big 10. Big 10 has stated they will require their teams to drop FCS, play 9 conference games plus schedule at least 1 P5 OOC.

We should get some calls, the Big 12 needs to pick up two P5 OOC per team to keep up with the strenght of schedule of Pac-12 and Big 10.

If the playoff expands to 8 teams, their is ZERO incentive to play a strong OOC game. Just win your division and keep players healthy and give your 2’s and 3’s playing time against crappy OOC teams.

8 team playoff kills OOC scheduling.

Tony (admin)
      Admin/Founder
      @admin

8 team playoff kills OOC scheduling.

Had not really considered that.

89ute
        Ute Fan
        @89ute

Yup, I think it blows it out of the water. Why in the heck would you put your guys through a pounding of say, for us, Utah State and Michigan if you knew all you needed to do was win the south then beat the north champ. If I’m the coach, I schedule 3 cupcakes and pretty much play the 2’s to give them valuable reps.

Networks will not like this, that is one of the reasons why I think we stay at 4 teams. Cross conference matchups are huge!

MBAute89
          Ute Fan
          @jtbuckner

Would a better alternative then be to have a six team playoff, with the 1 & 2 seeds getting a bye? That way you motivate teams to have a stronger strength of schedule to get the higher seed.

Another alternative is to mandate 9 conference games with a minimum of one P-5 and one G-5 conference game per year.

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Welcome to Ute Hub Forums Utah Utes Sports Football B1G/P12 scheduling